• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Stagedoor Coffee Bar

Oh the lovely West End Ballroom. I used to go to the jazz club they had every Sunday night there. Such a shame they pulled it down.

I didnt go ice skating but went every Sat. morning to the roller skating rink at Walford Road.

My husband has a request for anyone who lived in Handsworth and went dancing to the Nineveh dance studios in Nineveh Road. It was only a small place.

Thanks Baron for all your answers. I bet you looked the dog's b...ocks in those jeans. I remember wearing such tight orange jeans that I had to sew myself into them!

Hi Wendy

I lived in Handsworth and was a regular at the Nineveh Dance Studios around 1954/55. Sometimes during the week and always on a Saturday!! Is your husband from Handsworth?

Judy

Wendy, did you ever go to the Midland Jazz Club run by Madge, when it moved to ASTON CROSS (GOLDEN CROSS PUB)?

Sorry to butt in Baron, but I also went to the Midland Jazz Club as did my sister, and I think Madge ran it. Did she die in the late 1950s?

Also went to the Golden Cross, to the modern jazz and cha cha nights.

Judy

Hi, My husband Martin lived in Victoria Road, Handsworth and used to go to the Neneveh when he was about 17 in 1959/60. So it was a few years after you.

I used to go to the Midland Jazz Club when it was in Digbeth but not at the other place. There used to be quite a few jazz clubs in Digbeth.
Nice to meet you.
WendyP

Hi Wendy

Shame about Martin going to the Nineveh a few years later than me. I was hoping we might have gone at the same time and known each other!! Never mind. Nice to meet you!

Judy

Hi Judy

Yes thats a shame about you and Martin not going to the Nineveh at the same time. Did you live local to it? I have a lovely photo of Martin (looking like Billy Fury) at the Nineveh standing by a red slot machine with a pull down handle. In the background are gold and black patterned curtains.
Wendy

Hi Wendy

Yes, I was disappointed as well. I used to live up the road from there in Soho Avenue, off Soho Hill. I was about 14 when I first started going to the Nineveh - all the boys and girls I knew went there. It was there I learned to 'bop'. There used to be a cafe just across the road in Grove Lane where we used to go as well but I don't remember the name. Maybe it was still there when Martin went to the Nineveh.

I also used to go with my friend Jean Thomas to the Adelphi Ballroom in West Bromwich on a Saturday night - I wonder if Martin remembers that! I didn't go to the Nineveh much after 1955.

Judy

Hi Judy
Martin doesnt remember the cafe in Grove Lane but he remembers taking his suits to be ironed to a shop in Grove Lane and the shop was Zissmans. How posh is that! I cant believe he did that. He irons his own trousers now!
He only went to the Adelphi once and stuck with the Nineveh. He went 3 times a week. He said did you have ballroom dancing lessons there cos he did! Apparently a lorry went into the Nineveh building in about 1966 and it closed down then and transferred to The New Inns for a couple of years.

He used to buy all his records at a shop on corner of Rookery Road and Albert Road.
By the way Martin and my son are big Baggies fans even tho we now live in Suffolk.
Wendy

Hi Wendy

Well the name Zissmans rings a bell but I don't know why! Yes, I used to have ballroom dancing lessons at the Nineveh, I think it was on a Wednesday. If I remember there were two floors. On a Saturday all the local boys and girls would be there for the dance (no lessons). I have a photo of the Nineveh that someone sent me, taken before the lorry went into the shop underneath. I will try and find it and put it on the forum.

Tell Martin I am a Villa fan, but I do remember well seeing West Brom come home with the cup in an open top bus along Soho Road, and everyone was lining the street and cheering. I think it was 1954.

Lovely county Suffolk.

Judy

Hello Judy
Zissmans was a well known mans outfitters and we had one in Alum Rock where I grew up.

Martin would love to see that photo of the lorry crash. He says its such a shame you are a villa fan cos you sound so nice!
Wendy

Thanks Judy he will love that.

Is there anyone who lived in Alum Rock and has any memories of it. Would love to hear from you.
Wendy

Hi Baron
Wow there it is - Laura Dixons on top of Chetwins. Thats a super photo. Thank you so much. I will tell my friends to look cos a crowd of us used to go dancing there. Thank you very much.
Wendy

Hi Wendy

I have found the photo of the Nineveh Dance Studios which was over the top of Broadmeads TV and Radio Shop on the corner of Soho Road and Nineveh Road. The photo was sent to me by a friend who also used to go dancing there around 1954/1955.

I thought there was another photo showing it after the van had crashed into Broadmeads probably in the early 1960's, but I haven't.

I hope it brings back some memories for Martin!

Judy

Hi Judy

Martin says thank you so much for the photo. He remembers it well. I have a great photo of him at the Nineveh as I mentioned before but I have no idea how to show it you. Shame.
He met up with his friend the other day who also went to the Nineveh and they were talking about the shops they went to on the Soho Road.
Once again many thanks.
Wendy

Wendy

Glad Martin liked the photo. To put a photo on just click on the paperclip icon at the top of the reply box, browse in your photos, and then upload.

I am sure we would all like to see Martin looking like Billy Fury!!

Judy

Back