• Welcome to this forum Guest. We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Staffs photo's

H

harborne

Staffordshire Regiment

Does anyone know if there's a site featuring photos of the Staffordshire Regiment during WW1?

B

billc

From the home page.type in the search box.WAR.
that should work

H

harborne

Had a look at the site and can't find anything, mind you, I don't know which battalion he was in anyway. I thought if I searched for the South Staffs regiment I'd find something about him, didn't know it was so complicated! Thanks anyway Bill.

B

billc

harborne
you have'nt said a said a name of someone you are looking for.i thought you only wanted photos.
bill

Eric Gibson

master brummie
My grandfather was in the South Staffs and when I asked, Cromwell was good enough to supply quite a bit of info on their WW1 actions. E.

M

Mr Fin

staffs photos

Hi,

I undertake voluntary work at the Staffordshire Regiment Museum and would advise you to contact the archivist, Colour Sergeant Willie Turner on 01543 434390.

Hope this helps.

Alf

Gone but not forgotten. R.I.P.
Welcome Mr Fin enjoy the many hours on the best Forum anywhere.:)

H

harborne

Mr Fin, thanks for that, only just found your reply. Will try that.

Harborne

Chris_Baker

master brummie
Harborne, if you haven't yet pinned down which battalion your relative served with, try looking at the section "Researching a soldier" at www.1914-1918.net. It takes you through a process by which you can find out. There's information about the South Staffords on the same site.

H

harborne

Thanks Chris. I know he was in the Staffordshire regiment but haven't a clue where he served or what rank he was and have nothing to go on but his name and date of birth. I'll take your advice and have a look though.

Harborne

Chris_Baker

master brummie
It is the men of the Staffordshire Brigade of the 46th (North Midland) Division, taken soon after they had carried out one of the finest feats of arms in the whole war ... the crossing of the St Quentin canal at Riqueval on 29 September 1918. This, and the Bellicourt tunnel into which the canal went, formed part of the formidable Hindenburg Line. I have sat where those fellows are, and trust me it is very steep! If you squint you can see that some of them are still wearing the lifejackets they were issued with in order to cross the canal. Hats off to them.

mossg

master brummie
Hi Terry.All i know is what the caption at the bottom of the picture says.
If you cant see it, it reads"1918 Brigadier Campbell addresses three
Staffordshire territorial battalions after their brilliant attack reached the German Hindenburg Line".
Moss.