• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

St Wilfreds R C School

castalla

master brummie
Anybody out there attend St Wilfreds RC Shawsdale rd, 1962 to 1968, Only remember the head Mr Doncasley, pupils Mark Ward, Jimmy Byrnes, Anne Smart (lived in Erminghton cresent) Karen Casay, Margaret Howard sure there are at least 30 odd in my class but forgot names as most went to st wilfred martinuie and me and Karen went to Hodge Hill comp, O and Father Whelan, remember when Mass was in the school hall before the church was being built, before i was a alter boy, if you or others are out there HI Martin O´Flynn here

Finally found picture of my old school anybody recognised.

Attachments

• IMG_20180801_112736.jpg
    IMG_20180801_112736.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 41
I know i have posted this before but a year ago and with new members thought i would re post in case anybody out there or who knows some of these lads and lasses

Yes, me, my dad was the caretaker, for about 15yrs I think, while old donkers was there. Me and my dad used to set up the school hall for Mass while the church was being built. I think confessions was in the headmasters office. I did a short stint as altar boy when the church was built, but fell by the wayside after that. Just looked at google street view, it looks like Beruit

I remember Mt Donkesley big tall man, also remember Mass in School Hall, before church was built, was a Altar Boy myself when Fr Whelan was the priest. There was a assistance lady called Mrs Taylor i think small lady lived by the New Shops

Can anybody remember Father Whelan ¿ at St Wilfreds late sixty's early seventy's ¿ we used to have Mass in the School hall before the Church was built . If he is still alive he must be in his ninety's now , and where did he go after St Wilfreds.

Not sure if he's still alive, but I was told he ran off with the housekeeper, Mrs Westbrook? Like I said in an earlier post my dad and me used to set out the chairs, and for the altar for mass, and also set out the chairs for bingo. I can remember going to confession and Fr Whelan used to say "Yes John, what sins have committed ", thats true, because he was always at our house, and recognised my voice:innocent:

I know i have posted this before but a year ago and with new members thought i would re post in case anybody out there or who knows some of these lads and lasses
I recognise quite a few on that photo. Moira Sutton, Sharon Harding, Martin Fisher, Marisia and Kristina (Polish twins), Christopher Higgins. I was Margaret Coyle, moved to the Abbey when we moved to Erdington. I live in Somerset now and a few years ago I met Mr Donkersley's son, amazing coincidence. Mr Donkersley had passed away a few years before. I'll see if I can find my old school photo

Thats me Martin o'flynn second row with the crew cut, ill dig my photo out if i can remember where it is, Jimmy Byrnes at the back, Anne Smart there to, great pic. Found it
school.jpg

Thats me Martin o'flynn second row with the crew cut, ill dig my photo out if i can remember where it is, Jimmy Byrnes at the back, Anne Smart there to, great pic. Found it
View attachment 183278
On my pic I'm back row second from the right, next to Sharon Harding with her hand over her mouth. You are next to one of the twins, Marissa I think? then Pauline Day in front of Jimmy Byrnes. I'm remembering more names now, Annette Huxtable, Eileen Collins, Richard O'Sullivan, Karen Casey middle row second from the left. Do you remember Mrs Corrigan?

Now may of got these names wrong it has been 60 years.But here goes of what i remember. Please fill in the gaps for me if you can
Back Row Margaret Howard ¿ Mark Ward, Moria Sutton ¿ Anne Smart ¿ ¿ ¿ ¿​
2 Row ¿ ¿ ¿ ¿ ¿ ¿ ¿ ¿ ¿ Karen Casey Marisa Jimmy Byrnes​
3 Row ¿ ¿ ¿ ¿ ¿ Fleming ¿ ¿ Phil Me Paul Logario ¿ ¿​
Sat Kristina ¿ ¿ ¿ ¿ Brendan McMarne ¿ ¿ ¿ ¿ Sharon Harding​

Yes remember Mr Corrigan now you said it, was there a Teacher Assistant in Infants Mrs Taylor i think, had a quick message of Karen Casey once she told me Jimmy Byrnes had passed away some years ago. But since leaving St Wilfreds in 1968, never come across, seen or spoke to anybody else. Though me and Karen Casey went to Hodge Hill Comp, while most of the rest went to Saint Wilfred Martinue i think. Never seen your photo before must of been in the summer outside pic as mine is in doors guess it was a leaving pic as we look older.

Back