• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

St Vincent's, Vauxhall Grove

johnellis

proper brummie kid
i was at st vincents seniors 1946-1950,would love to here from anyone who was in miss goldricks class.
mr macdonald was the head and father ford the priest,my name is john elllis

Re: st vincents vauxhall grove

I came after you John I left in 1958 Miss Goldrick was still there. There is a school photo of Miss Goldricks class that I have seen around the time you were there maybe your on it if I can find it i,ll post it on here. Dek

hi alana,i never went to the juniors,i went straight to the senoirs from my old school.the only nun i came in contact with was sister philomena,i think thats how you spell it
she was quite nice,father ford wa the parish priest and mr macdonald was the head.nice to hear from you .

I was there from 1953 to 1960. I remember Miss Flanagan (the horror of horrors), Miss Goldrick and Father Bullen. Also, Sister Attracta, Miss McCarthy, Father Cassidy (bit of a rogue) and quite a few others. Don't have really pleasant memories of any of them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Both myself and sister - Therese Ball and Maureen Ball as we were back then.
I was at St Vincent’s from 1945 to 1955, sister 1947 to1957.
Remember all the teachers and nuns as mentioned plus Mr Dwyer.
We loved our school, accepted the discipline, it didn’t bother us too much as strict at home.
Have wonderful memories of friends, and even, can remember quite a few names.
Would like to say to any of you still around, thank you for making lovely memories to treasure
(Therese Douglas)

Both myself and sister - Therese Ball and Maureen Ball as we were back then.
I was at St Vincent’s from 1945 to 1955, sister 1947 to1957.
Remember all the teachers and nuns as mentioned plus Mr Dwyer.
We loved our school, accepted the discipline, it didn’t bother us too much as strict at home.
Have wonderful memories of friends, and even, can remember quite a few names.
Would like to say to any of you still around, thank you for making lovely memories to treasure
(Therese Douglas)
Hi Therese
I know it's over 3 months since you joined but welcome to the Bham History Forum.
It appears we may have something in common.
My mom who was born in Gt Lister St, went to St. Vincents but that was way before your time, it was around 1932.
However, I do believe you know these names.
My cousins who sadly are no longer with us, Meg Talbot and Janet Arnold.
I go to Heartlands Local History Group every 4 weeks at Loxton Court, Duddeston Manor Rd and there's a couple of people there you may also know, Brian Makepeace and Tommy O'Toole.
I still keep in touch with Ted, Meg's husband , and when I spotted your name it sounded familiar as Ted had mentioned you when he sent me a school photo from 1949.
Enjoy the forum and all the best for 2023
Steve

Hi Therese
I know it's over 3 months since you joined but welcome to the Bham History Forum.
It appears we may have something in common.
My mom who was born in Gt Lister St, went to St. Vincents but that was way before your time, it was around 1932.
However, I do believe you know these names.
My cousins who sadly are no longer with us, Meg Talbot and Janet Arnold.
I go to Heartlands Local History Group every 4 weeks at Loxton Court, Duddeston Manor Rd and there's a couple of people there you may also know, Brian Makepeace and Tommy O'Toole.
I still keep in touch with Ted, Meg's husband , and when I spotted your name it sounded familiar as Ted had mentioned you when he sent me a school photo from 1949.
Enjoy the forum and all the best for 2023
Steve
Hell Steve, lovely to read your reply, yes I new Meg and Janet, Meg was my long life schoolfriend we started together aged five, left at fifteen, we attended tap dancing classes one of the shows we were in was Jack and Gill pantomime at the Cheltenham Opera house, such wonderful memories. Brian Makepeace I remember very well, also Tommy O’Toole, do say hello and wish them all the best from me, my sister Maureen will be thrilled when I tell her about your post.
However your mum would most likely have known my mum and her sisters, they all attended St Vincent’s when it was at the top of Great Brook St - their names were Kate( Catherine) - Mary and the youngest my mum Norah Gallagher ( The Gallagher Girls). They grew up in Windsor Street.
their dad Mick’ ( m Grandad) Michael Gallagher, owned a Coopers Yard in Henry Street,the business was to collect used tubs ( barrels) from various firms, usually they still had remains of contents inside, be it Butter, Lard, etc, at home they would scrape the goodies out to eat.
In the wood yard they re build tubs and sold them on to firms that used them, a common site to see their work piled high on a horse and cart, be it for reselling or collections. Mary used to work hard delivering the tubs with her dad, it was quite a skill with tubs being stacked six high on the cart.
You mentioned the History Group you go to at Loxton Court on Duddeston Manor Road, my hubby John was interested as he went to Loxton Street School, as It was known back then, he’s 86 next month, his speciality while there was Boxing.
That’s a little bit more info for you hope you enjoy reading.
Best wishes to you to and a happy, healthy and fulfilling Forum in 2023.
Therese

Hi Therese
Thanks for you reply.
My mom would have gone to the newly built St Vincents school in Vauxhall Grove. It opened in 1931. I don't think she would have known your mom or your aunts as she would have been about 10 years younger, she was born in 1927.
I don't know where you're living now but at Loxton Court on I think , the first Monday in the month they have a get together called " Loxton Street Kids". Don't ask me the names of the people who go but I'm sure hubby John would know a few. Also , once a year there is a St Vincent's Kids Reunion, the last one was 21st Nov
All the very best, Steve

Hi Steve, thanks for reply, yes you are right about our mom’s ages, mine was born 1919.
We live in South Staffordshire now so a bit of a drive to Loxton Court, particularly in winter with dark nights, never say never though. Glad you mentioned the St Vincent’s Kids Reunion, Maureen and I managed to get to one quite a few years ago now, keep me posted when the next one comes round maybe there will be something we could get to, (summer soirée ?) just being wishful.
Take care
Therese

My Dad went to St Vincent's I believe. James Crowley born in 1936. Long shot that anyone might remember him or the name. Thanks Mike

Back