• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

St Thomas's Club Washington Street/ridley Street

cregoe kid

proper brummie kid
I went to St Thomas boys club in Washington Street run by a lovely old gentleman who we called the 'Boke' never found out why. We went on various holidays organised by the Birmingham Federation of Boys Club, I recall going to Isle of White, Ladrom Bay, Devon, my most memorable was on a barge called the Norman Chamberlain going up the cut to Worcester, I believe it built by a number of contributions from local companies, I know the engine was supplied by the Austin, sadly neither St Thomas Boys Club or the Birmingham Federation of Boys Clubs are no longer with us.

Hi cregoe Kid, I also went several times on the trip from Gas Street into Worcestershire. I am hoping to get some details from another contact. I was one of the volunteers who worked on restoring the barge. I was at the time a member of ICI Youth Club. Regards,George

Hi cregoe Kid, I also went several times on the trip from Gas Street into Worcestershire. I am hoping to get some details from another contact. I was one of the volunteers who worked on restoring the barge. I was at the time a member of ICI Youth Club. Regards,George
Many thanks for your reply, giving it further thought, I'm sure we didn't leave from Gas Street but further of Brum cold have beeen Kings Norton, I think you are the only person I've come across that remembers the Norman Chamberlain.

This was St Thomas's Social Club and Church Hall, I don't know if that was the place the boys club was run from but I thought you might like to see it.

Attachments

• Lee Bank  St Thomas Social Club and Church Hall1957.jpg
    Lee Bank St Thomas Social Club and Church Hall1957.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 13
You are quite right, Kings Norton was also used as a pick-up point. I think this was used if the previous users didn't have the time to get back to Gas Street. I also on one occasion went to KN.
If I remember correctly the barge was found sunken in the Smethwick/West Bromwich area, but I stand to be corrected.
From my knowledge at the time of the repairs and conversion. Is that a boat builder by the name of Frank Hatton of Witton, who worked for Spencer and Abbot of Tyburn Road who made and repaired barges. Was in charge of the rebuild.
The reason I remember this is because my father had worked with him previously at S/A. Frank also lived in the same road as my family. His son was a close friend of mine. (Terry - passed away about 8 yrs ago). I probably went on the tripe about seven times, in all weathers. Regards George.

PS to my earlier reply. Something has come to mind. I remember going to The BSA in about 1953/3, where a group of us did a Physical Training exercise. I think it was part of Coronation celebrations. The barge was also there. Things are beginning to come back. George

PS to my earlier reply. Something has come to mind. I remember going to The BSA in about 1953/3, where a group of us did a Physical Training exercise. I think it was part of Coronation celebrations. The barge was also there. Things are beginning to come back. George
Hi Phil, yes, that's St Thomas's Boys Club in Washington Street, it's a great pity there are no such places around today.

You are quite right, Kings Norton was also used as a pick-up point. I think this was used if the previous users didn't have the time to get back to Gas Street. I also on one occasion went to KN.
If I remember correctly the barge was found sunken in the Smethwick/West Bromwich area, but I stand to be corrected.
From my knowledge at the time of the repairs and conversion. Is that a boat builder by the name of Frank Hatton of Witton, who worked for Spencer and Abbot of Tyburn Road who made and repaired barges. Was in charge of the rebuild.
The reason I remember this is because my father had worked with him previously at S/A. Frank also lived in the same road as my family. His son was a close friend of mine. (Terry - passed away about 8 yrs ago). I probably went on the tripe about seven times, in all weathers. Regards George.
Hi George 1468, you must have been one of the 'Crew' to have been on so many trips, my mates and I only went on a couple, organised by the Federation of Boys Clubs, I had lots of photos of our trips on the barge, but some low life broke into our house and took a briefcase with all my photos in.
Thanks for the info , didn't know the barge history.

Hi again Cregoe Kid. I didn't have a camera in those days, I couldn't afford one. No pictures at all. I did do quite a lot of hours on the renovation but I do not think that made any difference. I (We) did chase up on any lads dropping out. But to this day I cannot remember who would have gone on the trips from Kynock Youth Club. Regards, George.

hi all. im assuming this club / social club you are referring to was on the corner of ridley st / Washington st ?
I have apicture of the back of ridley street and the front of ridley st but couldn't work out what the corner building was ? any thanks Anita.

ridley street , court one.jpg

Hi, Im looking for information on the building that was im told St Thomas's Social Club, and church hall ? Ive tried looking for information but keep coming up a brick wall, any information on the social club and the building and buildings attached would be good thanks anita :courage:

Re: St Thomas's Social Club - church Hall ? corner of washington Street and Ridley St

Anita

As far as I am aware St Thomas's Social Club was at 1 Washington Street which ran from Bath Row to Commercial Street. That is if it is the same club you are talking about.

Attachments

• Washington St Street St Thomas Social Club and Church Hall1957.jpg
    Washington St Street St Thomas Social Club and Church Hall1957.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 18
Re: St Thomas's Social Club - church Hall ? corner of washington Street and Ridley St

Hi, Im researching ridley street which in the late 1800s was called latimer street. Which I believ is to the left of this building ??
on the photograph I have this very top bit of the road is missing, the other photograph I have is at the back of this building back/backs court 1
which shows the building to the right behind this social club.

I have tried researching this building but cant seem to find any information anywhere, Can I ask what you know ? thanks anita

Phil
According to Kellys the club was at or near to the junction with Ridley St (1938 shown below). As not all buildings were listed I cannot be certain that it was on the corner, but the directories from at least 1938 to 1956 are consistent with this. In addition the OS map below for c 1953 shows no club at either end of Washington st , but a building marked as "club" on the junction with Ridley St. Could it have been at the end of the street at an earlier time , or could your picture be misslabelled ?

map_c1953_washington_st_ridley_st.jpg

Kellys_1938.jpg

Mike

The address I got for St Thomas's Social Club was taken from Kelly's 1950 edition. The photo was tagged at Great Lister Street. Nechells that was in fact wrong so I traced it to Washington Street, that was a couple of years back. You are most likely right about the club being at the junction of Ridley Street because checking again now I see that it just says Washington St 1 (meaning Birmingham 1).

St. Philip's Roman Catholic Boys' Home (Sister Superior,principal), 17 Westbourne rd. Edgbaston 15. Edgbaston1930
St. Thomas' Social Club (E. R. Mason, chairman), Washingtonst 1
St. Vincent Convent (Mother Marguerite Theresa Kane.superior), 84 Great Brook st 7

Hi Ive just been showed some directories on the 1911 census showing 1 ridley street was called latimer arms ?? obviously after the name of the previous road latimer street.

hi mike again lol,
ive just found some road numbers for Ridley street and they confused me again lol ( doesn't take much)
if you look through the ridley street house numbers you should see what I mean, they don't tie in to the map of the house numbers you sent me ??
appreciate your wisdom lol x

I have just wrote all the house numbers down from Ridley street, also numbers for courst 1 2 3 , there seems to many houses ??

How do they not tie in Anita. They go 2(including 3), 4,6,8 then court 1 then 9 , 11, 13, then court 2.,,,,,,, There are some numbers misssing but these are either combined with the number next door, not occupied at all, or only business premises with no vote, so not on voters list

Sorry , we crossed. How do you mean : Too many houses?

lol no problem mike, think it was the 1912 voter rolls, I was looking at my gr grandfathers name William Halsey, looking through the names and numbers on the street.
I have found numbers 1 - 15 Ridley street, 1 - 7 court 1, 1 - 7 court 2, then numbers 23 - 31 Ridley street, then 1 - 5 court 3

For some reason the 1912 lists do not always seem to absolutely follow order of the houses and courts. no idea why. Possibly some quirk of the person organising them. Similarly for censuses, whereas usually the order is down one side of a street and then the other side (if the other side is included in that area), in more rural areas, where houses are not very frequent, the enumerator dodges from side to side , which is undestandable but awkward for one trying to work out where the houses were

Back