• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

St Thomas' Church near Granville Street

J Western

I have a Baptism Roll Certificate, Sunday School Enrolment, for my Grandmother dated 1917 when she was nearly 3 years old. I know she lived in Granville Street at the time but nothing else. Did St Thomas' have a primary School? Is there any information available? Thanks.

hi j western below is a map showing granville st if you move the blue dot back and forth it fades to show you what is there now...i can see a church on the corner of granville st and what could have been a school on the opposite corner..do not know if the church was st thomas and i can quite make out if its still there but other maybe able to help further...dont forget there could have been a sunday school within the church

lyn

Lyn - isn't that the St Thomas where the Peace Garden is?
St Thomas school is listed at the end of Granville Street in 1915 directory.

Lyn - isn't that the St Thomas where the Peace Garden is?
St Thomas school is listed at the end of Granville Street in 1915 directory.
that is what i was thinking jan if it is there is not much left of the church

I have checked and it is that church so, as you say, very little left but it did have a school on the opposite corner. Scholl where the Tesco is I think.
1620561296899.png

yes as i said jan i thought that could be a school that was on the other corner...how things have changed..wondering what the name of the school was now

lyn

I went to st thomas,s school from 1949 until 1956. It was infant, junior and senior, it was on the corner of Bath Row and Granville St. opposite corner to the church, it moved down Cregoe St. and was called Lee Bank School or a similar name. My parents were due to get married at the church during the 2nd war but the germans got there first. The church on Broad St. called st thomas and emmanuel became the schools church after that.

Back