• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

St Thomas Church Bath Row

Jules65

master brummie
Could anyone tell me where this church was/is? Any information would be appreciated.

My g grandparents married there in 1890. They were Alfred Dauncey and Clara Jackson.

They were both living in Great Colmore Street at the time.

Thank you.

Bit of history on St. Thomas, Bath Row:

ST. THOMAS, Birmingham (Bath Row, Holloway Head), was one of the two Greek Revival churches in Birmingham designed by Rickman and Hutchinson (see no. 114). It was built of stone with a tall west tower rising above two quadrant-shaped Ionic porticos. The tower is of three stages, the square middle stage having a pediment supported on Ionic columns to each face, while the highest stage is octagonal, surmounted by a ball and cross. The church was consecrated in 1829. (fn. 26) A parish was assigned out of St. Martin's, Birmingham, in 1834; parts of it were taken to form the parishes of Immanuel, Birmingham (1865), and St. Asaph, Birmingham (1869). A rectory was created in 1834, in the gift of the trustees of St. Martin's, Birmingham. (fn. 27) The church, which had been refitted in 1893, (fn. 28) was largely destroyed by enemy action in 1940, but the tower and the west porticos are still (1961) standing. In 1946 the benefice was joined with that of Immanuel, Birmingham, to form the united benefice of St. Thomas and Immanuel, part of the endowment being transferred to St. Matthew's, Perry Beeches. The two parishes were merged in 1939. (fn. 29) A mission room in Ellis Street was licensed for public worship from 1908 to 1926; the chapel of the Accident (formerly Queen's) Hospital has been licensed since 1908 and the Church Army Hostel, Granville St., since 1958

From British History online

Are the paish records held at the Central library? I would like some details of a marriage in 1852.

My great grandparents were married in St. Thomas Church 11th November 1873. Does anyone have any pictures of the church prior to it being bombed in 1940, and does anyone know what the parish boundaries were.

As posted quite recently on this site by "I know not who" apologies...

Attachments

• Lee Bank Bath Row St Thomas.JPG
    Lee Bank Bath Row St Thomas.JPG
    114.1 KB · Views: 15
Does anyone know if any photgraphs exist of st. Thomas church, prior to it being bombed in 1940.

On the Forum more if you use search box if that's any help.

Maurice :cool:

Attachments

• City Bath Row St Thomas 2.jpg
    City Bath Row St Thomas 2.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 13
  • Lee Bank Bath Row St Thomas.JPG
    Lee Bank Bath Row St Thomas.JPG
    103 KB · Views: 13
Learn something new every day - St Thomas's Bath Row was a 'Waterloo Church' built in act of national thanksgiving...

It's the 207th anniversary of the battle today, no services or remembrances for those dead though.

Some of the Church railings used as weapons in the Riots. This is a snippet from an inquiry after the Riots. Viv

Screenshot_20230715_081744_Chrome.jpgSource:British Newspaper Archive

Back