• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

St Thomas C Of E School Granville Street

The school in the photograph is the senior school looked at from the playground of St Thomas's Infant and Junior School on Granville Street, Edgbaston/Lee Bank - (now Ladywood?) The senior school was, I think, called Lea Mason. I left St Thomas's School in 1959 for KE VI Camp Hill Boys' Grammar School in King's Heath, having passed the 11 Plus. The railings on top of the building prevented pupils falling from the rooftop playground but did not prevent the occasional beanbag being (accidentally) lobbed over during PE lessons! The former site of St Thomas's School is now the Tesco store on the corner of Granville Street. Can't imagine a third floor playground now.

Spot on with this info Andy and Lego, I started there in 1949 and left in 1956. It wasn,t only beanbags that came off that rooftop playground if we had any snow they threw as much as they could down on the boys (the girls used the roof and the boys were on the bottom playground) when we were in line waiting to go into class and if Mogford was on duty woe betide you if you moved when anything hit you.

Viv I do not know what date these photos were taken, but when I lived in William St 1955-69 I cannot recall such an expanse of the school as in pic 1 . I notice in the newspaper cutting etc that it says Holloway Head formerly Wood St, was that what Holloway Head was originally named or was the school elsewhere and then relocated to Granville St . What makes me so adamant is that the left side of the school in the picture covers some ground, and when you look at the thread Chequers Walk there is no sign of the school as that is where that frontage would have almost ended up

Holloway Head ended at Granville street and became Bath row.
The school did go up Bath row that far, the large house next to the school was used by the girls for learning household skills, if you walked up Chequers Walk I seem to remember halfway up an entrance into the school but was never open and then chequers walk veered right so it came out a little further up bath row.
Hollidaystreeter.

Holloway Head ended at Granville street and became Bath row.
The school did go up Bath row that far, the large house next to the school was used by the girls for learning household skills, if you walked up Chequers Walk I seem to remember halfway up an entrance into the school but was never open and then chequers walk veered right so it came out a little further up bath row.
Hollidaystreeter.

Yes walked up Chequers Walk many times . I went in the entrance to the school for about two weeks one Summer holiday, it was something to do with the young getting fed while their parents were out at work

I think this one may cause a little consternation, as I have the photo and I don't agree with the district it's tagged as. Though it is possible, lets just see if anyone can come up with the name and I will allow a little leeway with the location.
Phil. It's St Thomas's C of E school Granville Street. I was there from an infant school sandpit start day right through to 1967. The modern building was as viewed from the playground. The top floor was a roof garden of sorts with tyres used as planters. I think that there is a Birmingham newspaper article on it. This part of the school was only used a classrooms for seniors about to leave for secondary modern school and had the main assembly hall. The second floor was not used when I was there but the first floor was where my classroom was. When we had a trainee teacher we us to bunk off through the windows onto the balcony and play upstairs and on the roof leaving a frantic trainee not knowing what to do. I remember the handrail down to the ground floor, you could slide most of the way down but had to remember there were brass studs near the bottom. The gym / main hall was in this part of the school and overlooked Granville Street and the bombed out St Thomas' church opposite. There was a back alleyway school entrance called Chequers Walk that I used every day. Chequers Walk was on the west of the school running from the Holiday Street end down to Bath Row. The old senior school part of the building was on the left of your photo, it was closed off in the mid 1960s. We use to sneak in with my mates and play there some during lunchtimes. We actually found the school's fencing foils and masks and use to have pretend fights. Eventually the access doors off the playground were locked up. I remember the headmasters office at the end of an open balcony what I think was on the first floor. This was in the old part of the school overlooking the playground. I had to go there a few times for a canning. I can't remember if it was hands or backside for the worst offences. You could but Wagon Wheel biscuits in the playground below off the playground attendant for 3d (Old pence), I didn't always have any money to buy with though. That's about all I can remember from 55 years ago I am afraid other than the cause of the scare under my chin. It was created when the school bully impaled me on the school railings during "Playtime" me on the school railings during "Playtime".

The class photo below has the newer part of the school behind us taken 1967ish.

In the photo are Kevin Scott first on left 3rd row), Tony Miles RIP (second from left 3rd row with blond hair, He became a chess grand master), David Pike second from right front/1st row, Annette Papula back row tallest in class next to Jennette ?, Stephen Cridge (3rd from right, front), Valerie Irving first on right 2nd row.

photograph-taken-in-the-playground-1967-ish-who-can-spot-kevin-scott-tony-miles.jpg

Last edited:
I think this one may cause a little consternation, as I have the photo and I don't agree with the district it's tagged as. Though it is possible, lets just see if anyone can come up with the name and I will allow a little leeway with the location.

Yes walked up Chequers Walk many times . I went in the entrance to the school for about two weeks one Summer holiday, it was something to do with the young getting fed while their parents were out at work
I attended St Thomas’s and lived in Cregoe Street, it was in Edgbaston, our address was 9 Cregoe Street Edgbaston Bham 15, hope this helps

This was taken in St Thomas School playground, Granville Street. Behind is the Senior School annex. I am in this photograph and remember it being taken.

I have just discovered a photograph of St Thomas's School in a book published by Amberley called "Birmingham: Unique Images from the Archives of Historic England." Page 14 shows a photograph of "St Thomas's Church of England Day Schools, Granville Street." The caption is interesting: "The Ladywood School was founded in 1831 with a two-storey building for the girls and boys departments and a single storey for the infants. By 1911 the accommodation was no longer adequate, and the 1917 extension pictured was built on Granville Street to house the mixed seniors. The school closed on 20 July 1967 and was subsequently demolished."
I'd love to be able to attach the photograph but my IT skills aren't up to it!

The school in the photograph is the senior school looked at from the playground of St Thomas's Infant and Junior School on Granville Street, Edgbaston/Lee Bank - (now Ladywood?) The senior school was, I think, called Lea Mason. I left St Thomas's School in 1959 for KE VI Camp Hill Boys' Grammar School in King's Heath, having passed the 11 Plus. The railings on top of the building prevented pupils falling from the rooftop playground but did not prevent the occasional beanbag being (accidentally) lobbed over during PE lessons! The former site of St Thomas's School is now the Tesco store on the corner of Granville Street. Can't imagine a third floor playground now.
The rooftop playground was for girls, i think.

I all so went there. I lived in summer road Harold Place opposite Saint Luke's infant school 1957/58 my mates were Brian Lawler and Christina Pitt she lived in Bishop Gate Street

St. Thomas's C of E School in 1834 was in Granville Street (formerly Wood Street), in Holloway Head (according to British History online). There's no school listed in the name Granville Street. In 1907 a new site was acquired and a new building was built. I wonder if this is where confusion has arisen about location? Can't be sure if the later school was also on Granville Street, but assume so. Viv.
Not certain whether this information on the Birmingham images site answers the confusion the school was listed as on Bath Row, but in the picture you can clearly read Granville Street also as it took up that corner.

If you look up St Thomas on the site there are other images and information to hand

hi Denji,
I went to St Thomas's in the fifties I lived in Bishopsgate Street. my name was Tina Roberts. I also was in school choir run by a teacher called Mrs Ward I left to go to an open air school for a illness. as I was always in and out of Children's hospital. we left the area summer 63.
Hi Tina Did you know another Tina? Christina Pitt she also lived in Bishopsgate Street and was at St Thomas school about 1957 1959 also Brian Lawler he lived on the other side of the Broad Street. Happy memoirs were of playing the barges up at school dinner times the canal was a short walk from the back of the school. The bad ones was getting the cain on a Friday for being late, on for each time you was late it was guaranteed it would be a least 3 of his best

How wonderful! I went there from 1955 till 1961, I loved the school, our teacher was Miss Lester, we moved from Cregoe Street to Hall Green when the houses were due for demolition.
Hi Chris, I went there a little later than you. I think we started infant school aged 5 in those days so I was there 1965 until it closed in July1967, I started my Junior years in the newly built school in Cregoe St in the September 1967. Miss Lester was still at the school then and was my favourite teacher, lovely woman.

Not 100% sure, but I think it is the senior school addition to the St Thomas’ on Granville Street. It’s 70 years ago since I was a pupil there. From ‘47 to ‘ 52. The space underneath was for shelter, and there was a smaller shelter off to the left. Seem to remember it raided frequently over there LOL

Interesting reading all the comments. My Great Aunt, Miss Ford started her teaching career at St. Thomas School in 1928 and eventually became Headmistress. She was there at the time it was demolished and the new school built. She was also responsible for setting up the ‘Roof Garden’ area as her other passion besides teaching was her beautiful garden at home in Sutton Coldfield. She didn’t retire until well past normal retirement age. Her life was the school.
I have recently come across lots of photos belonging to my late Great Aunt and with them documents pertaining to life at St Thomas School.

Hi Tina Did you know another Tina? Christina Pitt she also lived in Bishopsgate Street and was at St Thomas school about 1957 1959 also Brian Lawler he lived on the other side of the Broad Street. Happy memoirs were of playing the barges up at school dinner times the canal was a short walk from the back of the school. The bad ones was getting the cain on a Friday for being late, on for each time you was late it was guaranteed it would be a least 3 of his best
Hi
I attended st Thomas school from 1958
and remember mrs bray being headmistress
I can remember miss bond mr Davies
Mrs Ward
She used to take us for swimming lessons. At monument rd swimming baths on a Wednesday
She had a daughter Linda who was also in my class
Also I remember David Wright Peter Mcennzie. Micheal Brown
He lived in Bishopsgate st along with the wheeler family
Anyone remember them ?

Yes, i went to St Thomas's in 1958/59 they had a great pottery class room.
Hi
It’s St Thomas,s school in Granville st

The building is the seniors part of the school
My elder brother went there and left in
I

I have loved seeing the photograph of the old St. Thomas School in Granville Street. I am 80 years of age and attended the school from age 5 until I left aged 15 in 1958. I loved all my time throughout all of my years at the school and was very sad to leave. As already mentioned, the secondary school was on the elevated level on the photograph and the roof playground, which had very smelly toilets, was only for the girls. In the winter we particularly enjoyed throwing snowballs down on the boys in the ground floor playground. We were very envious that, when it was a rainy playtime, the boys could shelter under the elevated part of the building. I was sad that my education finished before the planned new school was built. I originally lived near the school at 10 Washington Street until all the houses were condemned and we were moved to a new house in Morville Street in Ladywood. If there is any possibility that someone else in the group was at the secondary school during my time there my name was Vivienne (Viv) Parkes, also sometimes nicknamed Fifi!

Taking its history right back, here's an engraving of the Church and schools dated 1865. The view is looking towards Granville Street from Cregoe Street. The only constant with the modern-day view being the Church (well part of). Viv.

Screenshot_20230618_161615_Google.jpgScreenshot_20230618_173631_Maps.jpg

Moved from Bristol Street school to here around 1956 and left 1959. Looks as though I might have lived nearest school in Upper Gough Street. I remember Lew Chatterley, who went on to play for the Villa, lived closer in Gough Street.

Back