• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

St Stephens Primary School

How’s It going? I was there same time, 70 something to 70 something I can’t remember the exact dates. Rod and Brian Rogers and Kevin Gallagher were in my class, then I went Cardinal Newman for first year and the John Wall for the rest., Walmsley tried to reach us rugby instead of football for a bit and we were useless. I remember Tony Slattery and Dave Smith and the Sweeneys, and looking back I think it was a good little school, apart from having to wear poxy shorts in the winter. I remember playing British Bulldog and banging my head on the concrete and then, as if by magic, 6 hours had passed and I was home in Kitchener St with a big bump on me head. (Don’t think I’ve been the same since.) Good to see the names of the teachers on here ‘cos I’d fiorgotten them all apart from Walmsley.
Still in Handsworth, plastering and getting plastered.
Stay Lucky everyone

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the replies and memories, I don't think we should forget milk time with straws, or the teacher wheeling in the huge TV so we could watch a timed TV programme. I also remember Reception had a doll's House with a plastic cup and saucer set, not to mention plasticine, chalk and crayons!

How’s It going? I was there same time, 70 something to 70 something I can’t remember the exact dates. Rod and Brian Rogers and Kevin Gallagher were in my class, then I went Cardinal Newman for first year and the John Wall for the rest., Walmsley tried to reach us rugby instead of football for a bit and we were useless. I remember Tony Slattery and Dave Smith and the Sweeneys, and looking back I think it was a good little school, apart from having to wear poxy shorts in the winter. I remember playing British Bulldog and banging my head on the concrete and then, as if by magic, 6 hours had passed and I was home in Kitchener St with a big bump on me head. (Don’t think I’ve been the same since.) Good to see the names of the teachers on here ‘cos I’d fiorgotten them all apart from Walmsley.
Stay Lucky everyone
Hi, I ended up going to John Wall 79-84, hated it there and a lot of bullying went on that was totally ignored by the school and brushed under the carpet....

I am just wondering if anyone has any memories or history of St Stephens RC primary school, Nineveh Road, Handsworth? The school closed in the early eighties I believe, and is now a Caribbean day centre. I went to the school 1974-1979. The school seems to have be forgotten, so any info on why it closed or any memories would be welcome. Thanks.

Thanks for all the replies and memories, I don't think we should forget milk time with straws, or the teacher wheeling in the huge TV so we could watch a timed TV programme. I also remember Reception had a doll's House with a plastic cup and saucer set, not to mention plasticine, chalk and crayons!
I went to school around this time my parents were irish.

I went to school around this time my parents were irish.
I remember some of the pupils at the time I hung out with Oliver burke,brian Roger's there was an Italian kid called Tony.there was Maxine Taylor mary Murphy I really enjoyed these times.making the pirates hats making the big folders for our presentations.

Stay Lucky everyone
I must have been in your class because I hung around with brian Roger's and Wayne dally aiden kelly, and dougie slattery these times were great. My parents split up in 78 and mum took us to ireland.

I remember some of the pupils at the time I hung out with Oliver burke,brian Roger's there was an Italian kid called Tony.there was Maxine Taylor mary Murphy I really enjoyed these times.making the pirates hats making the big folders for our presentations.
'del' Girona's brother, Tony, Yeah? She was about a year older than Tony, I reckon.

Another teacher I remember when I was in Junior 3 was Miss Hammond - who to my young eyes was very tall and very 70s glamorous, but also a very good teacher. Yes, the caretakers were the Bowes, their son was in my class... Kevin?

Another teacher I remember when I was in Junior 3 was Miss Hammond - who to my young eyes was very tall and very 70s glamorous, but also a very good teacher. Yes, the caretakers were the Bowes, their son was in my class... Kevin?
Mr walmsley used to be getting us to take paper messages to her I think I know there was some thing going on.

Yes, they lived just at the top of the road didn't they? Their mom was Alice and the dad was called Barney and they had a little terrier dog called Andy! I was in touch with Brian (real name Brendan) the older brother some years back. He stayed in Birmingham and Tony eventually went to Ireland and set up a business there. I don't know where Jimmy is, though heard from Brian that Margaret died some years ago now, not sure if you are aware or not?
I used to be freinds with brian Roger's many times I went to his house after school.

I was Annette Gough then and got picked on for having Red Hair, Mrs Flanagan was lovely to me , she sat me down in Dec 1979 with my Grannie to try to tell my Dad had died .

Back