• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

St Stephens Primary School

kraggy

master brummie
I am just wondering if anyone has any memories or history of St Stephens RC primary school, Nineveh Road, Handsworth? The school closed in the early eighties I believe, and is now a Caribbean day centre. I went to the school 1974-1979. The school seems to have be forgotten, so any info on why it closed or any memories would be welcome. Thanks.

No replies yet! The teachers I remember at st Stephens are Mrs Flanagan, head teacher, Mrs Quinn and Mr Walmsley who taught PE. A lot of pupils who went there in the early 70's were of Irish descent, including me.

I was there from 1967-73; Head teachers were Clancy and Flanagan; my class teacher in my final year was Mr (Harry) Bartrope who was a shock to us all as he had long hair and a bandit moustache! But he was the nicest, kindest of teachers I could have hoped for who did what the best teachers did; he pushed me to do well and better. Most of our teachers were wonderful people but we did have some real horrors (funnily enough, they were women and I won't name names) who seemed actively to dislike children.

Thanks for the reply, no other replies though, so the school has well and truly been forgotten!

yes his still alive and still working in education, i was at SS from 1972 to 1978, whats your real name? i must know you or you would know my sister, Mandy Vale. ended up in st john wall after saint stephens

Last edited:
yes his still alive and still working in education, i was at SS from 1972 to 1978
He must be in his 70's now then? I was SS from 73 to 79 so must have seen you around! I then went to St John Wall in Oxhill Road until 84. Live in Shropshire now...

Kraggy, could you pm me your real name?
It's ok, it's Andy Wardlow. I remember some names from St Stephens, such as Eamon and David Smith (brothers), Anthony Slattery, etc... I was friends with a Tony and Jimmy Rogers, they had an older brother Brendan (Brian) Rogers.

Andy im sure you would have been in the same year as my sister, i was in the same year as Brian Rogers, i remember him living op james watt school, not seen him for about 35 years. i also remember Douglas Slattery

Andy im sure you would have been in the same year as my sister, i was in the same year as Brian Rogers, i remember him living op james watt school, not seen him for about 35 years. i also remember Douglas Slattery
Yes, he lived in Handsworth Wood Road, I went to that house loads of times back in the day. I think he lives near B'ham centre now as I was in contact some years back. He went to Cardinal Newman School with his brothers. They also had a sister, Margaret. I'm trying to think of other names though it's hard some 40 years after leaving the school!

No replies yet! The teachers I remember at st Stephens are Mrs Flanagan, head teacher, Mrs Quinn and Mr Walmsley who taught PE. A
lot of pupils who went there in the early 70's were of Irish descent, including me.

I went to St Stephens and left to go to Cardinal Newman’s in 1981. I remember so many teachers. Mrs Cronin. Mrs Quinn, Mrs Jones, Mr Walmsley, Mrs Flanagan.

Yes, he lived in Handsworth Wood Road, I went to that house loads of times back in the day. I think he lives near B'ham centre now as I was in contact some years back. He went to Cardinal Newman School with his brothers. They also had a sister, Margaret. I'm trying to think of other names though it's hard some 40 years after leaving the school!
i went to st stephens around 1971 and margaret rogers was my best friend i was always at her house too !! i went to cardinal newmans after ss

i went to st stephens too around 1971 me and margaret rogers were good friends i remember her brothers too.. i remember a girl called elisabeth redmond she used to bully me, she had blonde hair. i went to cardinal newmans after like a lot of us did.

View attachment 133201View attachment 133202View attachment 133203View attachment 133204
i took these about 5 years ago, they might bring back some memories
Thanks for these photos. The caretaker when I was there was a Mrs Bowes if I remember. It's strange seeing cars in our old playground too, I spent five years running around there, playing Tig and British Bulldog! It would have been great if somebody had some group photos, I don't have any but do have a few photos from when we had Confirmation in 1978 or 1979, i'll try and find them out...

i went to st stephens around 1971 and margaret rogers was my best friend i was always at her house too !! i went to cardinal newmans after ss
Yes, they lived just at the top of the road didn't they? Their mom was Alice and the dad was called Barney and they had a little terrier dog called Andy! I was in touch with Brian (real name Brendan) the older brother some years back. He stayed in Birmingham and Tony eventually went to Ireland and set up a business there. I don't know where Jimmy is, though heard from Brian that Margaret died some years ago now, not sure if you are aware or not?

Back