• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

St Silas Square Lozells

Barr_Beacon

The Prodigal Brummie
I remember St Silas Square in May 1976 with the blossom trees in bloom, that still is in my memory after all these years.

did you live near st silas square then BB as you probably know its still there....yes a great shame that st peters place was not deemed nice enough to hold back as a bit of the city centres social history

lyn

did you live near st silas square then BB as you probably know its still there

lyn
I was working for the Urban Renewal department of Birmingham City Council in 1976 and the job entailed a lot of walking. I got to know Lozells and the surrounding area very well and there amazing shops and pubs in the area. A lot of the houses and the 'Places' had very well tended gardens. I haven't visited St Silas Square in over forty years but the memories of the square and gardens are quite vivid.

amazing how certain places stick in our minds BB...i lived in the next st from st silas square ...in villa st from 58 to 72 so if you ever find any photos of villa st or indeed brougham st before demo i would love to see them...thanks BB

lyn

amazing how certain places stick in our minds BB...i lived in the next st from st silas square ...in villa st from 58 to 72 so if you ever find any photos of villa st or indeed brougham st before demo i would love to see them...thanks BB

lyn
I'll keep my eyes peeled, Lyn!

I lived in ‘The Square’ for seventeen years from 1960. Quite a unique street for Birmingham, which as far as I know, doesn’t have many squares. Our house had I presume, changed little since it was built. No bathroom or indoor toilet, no hot water and just the one electric socket. When we moved in, the street lighting was still by gas.

We did after a while, have some improvements made by the landlord, but you’d have to say that it was substandard accommodation even for the Sixties, although probably typical for the area.

I can’t say that I remember any blossom bearing trees as mentioned here, but they must have been in the churchyard perhaps. The photo is of the west (school side) of the square. About 1973.

C55F8784-3506-4104-BBAE-A4D2BA772627.jpeg

nice photos enel....i was in villa st from 58 to 72 so maybe our paths crossed....yes its an unusual little square...i think if you walk up to the end of those houses and turn right there is little row of houses laid back which could easily be missed

lyn

nice photos enel....i was in villa st from 58 to 72 so maybe our paths crossed....yes its an unusual little square...i think if you walk up to the end of those houses and turn right there is little row of houses laid back which could easily be missed

lyn
Are you thinking of ‘The Grove’ Lyn? That was off the north west corner of the square, and the houses had front gardens.

yes i think thats it enel...so many happy memories of growing up down the old end :)

lyn

Back