• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

St Saviours Road Council School, Saltley, Roll of Honour

terry carter

Birmingham Pals
A few years ago, the St Saviours Road Council School was being gutted out and someone found the school's Great War Roll of Honour in a skip outside the school building. It was given to the Royal Warwickshire Regiment Museum but they did not want it, and as I was a frequent visitor to the museum at the time, researching the Birmingham Pals Battalions, it was offered to me, and I have cherished it ever since.

Now with the popularity of the Internet and excellent Forums such as this one covering all aspects of Birmingham history, I would like to share pictures of the Roll of Honour with you. No doubt, someone out there in Forumland will have a relative listed on the Roll.

It received some slight damage when thrown in the skip, but all the names are still legible. It must have took someone very many hours to create the Roll of Honour in pen and ink and especially the fine calligraphy used on all the names.

If any one would likea close up shot of certain names or copies emailed, please let me know.

Terry

p.s The names include all from the school that served, not just those that were killed.

p.p.s. I have started to check the names to see how many died for their country. I will post the results soon.

Last edited:
Hello Terry, What a wonderful piece of history. The art work and righting is beautiful. I still find it amazing that these things were thrown into skips. But so pleased to hear when they are rescued into safe hands like yours. Thank you for sharing it with us. Moma P

I wonder how many more of these treasures have been thrown onto skips and rubbish dumps. Why can't they be offered to interested parties, who would look after them.:(

Last edited:
I echo the thoughts of all who have posted......The school I attended had a corridor full of photo's, cups. trophys...etc....I often wonder what ever happen to them......probably in a land fill site somewhere......just think in 2525 the long running time team will be digging these items up, and then pretending they know everything about them......how much of our history has been just thrown away, when we moved from Aston to Kingstanding we left some old bits and pieces behind.......

well done terry,words fail me,have you any idea what happened to the roll of honour at the gatehouse at I.M.I.

Roll of Honour

Thanks for your replies. Nick, thanks for the info on Lloyd. I am working my way through the names. The first name on the Roll was a former Teacher at the school. Charles Joseph Beddoes. He was a Liverpudlian but I assume he probably trained at St Peter's Training College, Saltley, and stayed in the area once he had qualified as a Teacher.
He was an original Volunteer to the 3rd Birmingham Battalion (16th Royal Warwicks) and he served in D Company, 13 Platoon. At some stage during service in France he must have been wounded and on his recovery he was then posted to the 11th Battalion, Royal Warwicks.
During the latter stages of the Somme battles of 1916, the 11th Warwicks were in an attack (13/14 November 1916) on a German position known as Frankfort Trench, between the villages of Beaumont Hamel and Serre. Heavy machine-gun fire forced the 11th Warwicks to withdraw. Unfortunately, poor Charles Beddoes, now a Lance Corporal, did not make it back and he was left in No Man's Land. His remains must have been found and identified because he now lies buried in Redan Ridge Cemetery No.3. A small battlefield cemetery of 67 graves, situated, as the name suggests, on an area known as Redan Ridge. The majority of the graves are all from the attacks on 13/14 November, 1916 and the cemetery now stands just inside what was once the old German front line.

I have made many visits to this area and visited the cemetery on a couple of occasions, however, on my next trip over to France I will pay my repects to Charles Beddoes.

Terry

Back