• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

St Saviour's Church, Saltley

Hi Wendy.I note from your letter that you are interested in the Yates surname.I am looking for the grave of Mary Ann Yates believed to be buried at Saltly.She was daug of my g.grandfather Thomas Hathaway also buried ther.I managed to find and photograph his grave before it was demolished.
Robert

There is a burial record of a Mary Ann Yates aged 3 for St Saviours Sept 30th 1876. Address was Dymock Street. Is this her? If not do you have a date?
Janice

I lived in Saltley in Ash Road, till I was 21 in 1961 (b 1940)
I remember the air raids, the shelter at the top of our garden, the neighbours in the shelter looking up as I went down the steps with mom, I remember the night lights in the shelter.
We lived at 172, my Aunt Ev Jackson, moms sister, lived at 174, moms brother, Uncle Sid Jackson lived at 182 with my Aunt Elsie and my cousins Alan & Peter Jackson.
The Jackson family, that is moms parents and her brothers & sisters, my aunts & uncles in the making, all lived at 174. The Edkins family lived at 172 before us. Grandma Jackson died & is buried in St Saviours fronting Ash Rd near where the graveyard ends. I used to go with mom but I doubt I could find the spot nowdays.
I used to attend St Saviours Church with mom and later on became a Server and a Bell Ringer. I can still remember the bell numbers for a simple tune we played - 1.2.3.4.5.6.7.8 - 1.2.3.4.5.6.7.8
I have a photo of a bunch of us servers all robed up taken outside the back door that led back into our robing room, The Sacristy. I have another of me coming over the Bombed with the Church at my back, coming to Ash Road where they later built a run of maisonettes beginning at the end of the graveyard. The original houses were destroyed by a parachute mine in the Blitz.
I am photographed walking over a mound of earth & bricks.
I also remember playing in the Bombed in Arden Road near the off-licence in Ash Road. Two houses were taken out there.

Last edited:
I lived in Saltley in Ash Road, till I was 21 in 1961 (b 1940)
I remember the air raids, the shelter at the top of our garden, the neighbours in the shelter looking up as I went down the steps with mom, I remember the night lights in the shelter.
We lived at 172, my Aunt Ev Jackson, moms sister, lived at 174, moms brother, Uncle Sid Jackson lived at 182 with my Aunt Elsie and my cousins Alan & Peter Jackson.
The Jackson family, that is moms parents and her brothers & sisters, my aunts & uncles in the making, all lived at 174. The Edkins family lived at 172 before us. Grandma Jackson died & is buried in St Saviours fronting Ash Rd near where the graveyard ends. I used to go with mom but I doubt I could find the spot nowdays.
I used to attend St Saviours Church with mom and later on became a Server and a Bell Ringer. I can still remember the bell numbers for a simple tune we played - 1.2.3.4.5.6.7.8 - 1.2.3.4.5.6.7.8
I have a photo of a bunch of us servers all robed up taken outside the back door that led back into our robing room, The Sacristy. I have another of me coming over the Bombed with the Church at my back, coming to Ash Road where they later built a run of maisonettes beginning at the end of the graveyard. The original houses were destroyed by a parachute mine in the Blitz.
I am photographed walking over a mound of earth & bricks.
I also remember playing in the Bombed in Arden Road near the off-licence in Ash Road. Two houses were taken out there.

I lived in the ground floor flat at 155. There were three blocks of flats and I presume they were built on a bomb site. I used to play in the church yard which was over the road. I also worked for Mrs. Cutts, who had the grocer's shop down the road towards Adderley Road. I went to Adderley Junior and Infants School and then Cherrywood. In 1967 we left to go and live (in the country) in Nansen Road!

Re: St Saviours and the rosery

I used to live oposite St. Saviours, in Ash Road. It always seemed to be a dark, forboding building, and the Vicarage (next door in St Saviours Road) was a grim place. I used to play in the church yard which was always overgrown.

For some unknown reason the Rosary School and my secondary school, Cherrywood, were staunch rivals. No idea why, I suppose they just didn't like each other.

my house was in the grove number 138 Ash road I left in 1983

A very lovely church. I note the recent clergy - since 1963 anyway - are part of an Anglican order of priests, called Society of The Holy Cross (SSC is the Latin name). The present Minister seems to have been there for over twenty years.

Any idea which block they lived and when? We didn't know many of the people's names who lived in the other two blocks only the children's first names.

Rosary Boy,

Great pictures of St Saviours and thanks for posting them. Many of my late wife's DORMAN family were either christened or married in that church.

Maurice :cool:

Rosary Boy,

Great pictures of St Saviours and thanks for posting them. Many of my late wife's DORMAN family were either christened or married in that church.

Maurice :cool:
thanks mate I first went into this church about 1979, so when I contacted father alan and he said I can vist
well I couldn't turn him down, well worth a vist really only open for services on sunday from 10-30am till about 12-30pm

I'm fairly certain I've looked at some records for St Saviour's at the Library of Bham and they so seem to hold the registers but what's open or closed, I'm not sure...

Back