• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

St Saviours Church Hockley

Hello Trevor, we lived in Cottage Row, number 8 and my brother was born there, would be funny if it was the same house that you lived in.
We were the very last people to live in Cottage row when they all got demolished in about 66 my mother refused to move and we were the only house standing almost, holding out for house with bathroom, they demolished the outside toilet and my father built a toilet building for us.
We played in the ruins of St Saviours church, jumped out of boarded up house bedroom windows unbelievable. My children wouldn't believe this.

Hi Angelal,

Well I never thought I would meet anyone on this site who actually lived where I did - i.e. - in Cottage Row off Bridge St West ! I lived at number 3 which was right opposite number 8. There is an A to Z type of map on the Bridge St West thread (page 18) and it just about shows part of Cottage Row on the top left hand corner. What year did you move into Cottage Row by the way ? As I mentioned in an earlier post, my family moved to Northfield in the summer of 1954 when I was just coming up to 8 years old.

I still remember some of the families who lived there at the time. Next to us at No. 2 lived the Thompson's who had a big Alsation dog. At No. 4 next door was widower Wilf Barber who had 4 grown up children; Donald, Eric, Sheila, and another boy whose name I can't remember. Sadly, Donald was killed on his motor bike. At No. 5 was an OAP, Mrs Haycock who lived on her own.

In the houses opposite at No. 6 were Les and Gladys Smedley who had a girl and 2 boys; the girl I think was named June, and perhaps one of the boys was Bill. At No. 7 were Mr and Mrs Morley, two pensioners. In your house, No. 8, were a newly married couple and the girl was the daughter of Mr and Mrs Sheppard (Annie) who lived next door at No.9.
Finally, No. 10 had a strange collection of 3 women named Ashmore, and a boy my age whose name I think was Robert (Ashmore).

(Edited to remove details of someone who may still be alive)

Towards the end of 1964, I went to have a look at my old abode and I just wish I had taken a camera. There was no one living at No. 3 and I think the door was open. I think of all the photos I could have taken inside and out and I kick myself now. I love the idea of you playing in the ruins of St Saviours and jumping out of the bedroom windows of the houses. No 'Health and Safety' back in those days so no wonder your children wouldn't believe you ! I was christened in St Saviours by the way, in July 1946.

I only have just one photo of Cottage Row if I can find it, and it's of me as a baby being carried by my father and mother outside of our house. If I can find it, I'll have to learn how to put it on the site.
Kind regards,
Trevor.

Last edited by a moderator:
[QUOTE="AngelaI, post: 709581, member:
Hello Trevor, I have been looking for pictures and this is all I have, outside 8 Cottage Row, opposite your house and inside number 8.
1, me outside with my now late uncle.
2, inside with my oldest brother, me centre with a young aunt.
I remember the house, number 6 had tortoises and they used to escape and walk up the path and into our garden.
Am having a problem trying to upload two amazing photos.
One is of my brother who was born there with our mother and the other is him sitting on our car, he is absolutely filthy haa well had a bit of a mucky playground, as I said before, my children would never believe it. Have to show them these yet.

Trevor I can't upload these two photos, they are of my mom in the garden and you can see all the demolition going on and the other I believe was taken from outside our house and yours has been now demolished and you can see just wasteland, amazing picture.
I will keep having a go if no sign of it please send me your email and will try it that way, would love you to see it.

We lived there 1961 to I think 1966, very last people to live in Cottage Row.
We used to stand at the bottom of the entry by the toilets and number 10, a Mary and Kevin Payne would be at the top, throwing stones at us and us throwing back haa

Trevor I can't upload these two photos, they are of my mom in the garden and you can see all the demolition going on and the other I believe was taken from outside our house and yours has been now demolished and you can see just wasteland, amazing picture.
I will keep having a go if no sign of it please send me your email and will try it that way, would love you to see it.

We used to stand at the bottom of the entry by the toilets and number 10, a Mary and Kevin Payne would be at the top, throwing stones at us and us throwing back haa

Hi Angelal, those two photos you've posted are fantastic ! I recall that our small living room was identical to the one in the photo, and the one taken in the doorway brings back so many memories from all those years ago. If you want to send me a private message please do. I'm still trying to find the couple of snaps I've got of Cottage Row and I'll try posting them if I do find them. Many thanks again, Trevor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for post on the forum. We strongly advise members not to post their personal email addresses on the thread. Your email address and data could be harvested and used for scams, fraud and identity theft. If you wish other members to contact you, then its best if you advise them to use the “Start Conversation” facility we provide. This then protects you and your privacy.

Thank you for post on the forum. We strongly advise members not to post their personal email addresses on the thread. Your email address and data could be harvested and used for scams, fraud and identity theft. If you wish other members to contact you, then its best if you advise them to use the “Start Conversation” facility we provide. This then protects you and your privacy.

Oh dear, I never thought of that ! I'll make sure I never make that mistake again, and I'll use 'Start Conversation' instead. Many thanks for your advice.

No problem and good luck making contact. I have now edited you email out for you.

hi angelal noticed you are having problems posting a couple of your photos which would be great to see...i have sent you a private message giving you my email address so if you would like to email the photos to me i will happily post them on this thread for you..

lyn

hi angelal noticed you are having problems posting a couple of your photos which would be great to see...i have sent you a private message giving you my email address so if you would like to email the photos to me i will happily post them on this thread for you..

lyn
Just saw this thank you, I think I have managed to send it to trevor and hopefully he will post etc
Will view again tomorrow to see how it's going.

On this day in 1873 my wife's great great grandfather Joseph Boulton at 27 was laid to rest at St Saviour's Church, Alum Rock, Birmingham. This 1920s postcard was produced by A Stannard, 133 Alum Rock Road. Only discovered this family history in last 10 days. Anyone know the history of when the Bell Tower disappeared and where all the headstone have fallen or gone (Google Map).
1920s St Saviours Alum Rock Postcard.jpg1920s St Saviours Alum Rock Back of Postcard.jpg

Correction spotted bell tower on goggle via Old Pic of Birmingham Facebook post I 1st put this on today. However anyone know how I would contact around burial locations at the church. Is this still a working church?

Just saw this thank you, I think I have managed to send it to trevor and hopefully he will post etc
Will view again tomorrow to see how it's going.
Hi Angelal,

Success ! I haven't been in touch since you last e-mailed me with two photos of when you lived in Cottage Row next to St Saviours church. I said I would contact you when I found my own photos of Cottage Row. I had all but given up when I finally came across them. My parents moved there about 1940, the year my elder, late sister was born. But as my father was away in the navy during the war, my mother spent most of the time at her sisters who lived at Kingstanding.

I was born in July 1946 at 3 Cottage Row with my brother coming along two years later in July 1948. The first two photos are outside number 3 and are of myself and my younger brother dressed up in our Christmas presents of cowboy and indian outfits. This would be about 1953 I think, and the second one is looking up the yard towards Bridge St West.

I'm not on the next one for some reason but it was taken outside number 3 when my brother was Christened next door at St Saviours. My aunt is holding my brother and directly behind her is my mother, with my sister sitting next to my aunt. The fourth one is again looking up towards Bridge St and this would be about 1951 when I was 5 and my brother was 3. The last one could be looking towards your house ! It's of the four of us - mom, elder sister and me and my brother again.

I think it was taken at the same time as the previous one because we seem to be wearing the same clothes. We finally left Cottage Row in June 1954 to live on a brand new council estate in Northfield called the Ley Hill Estate. Whereas the houses in and around Bridge St West were demolished after about 170 years - and not before time, the concrete council houses of Ley Hill were demolished after just 50 years - and not before time because they were awful from the start !

All the best Angelal,

Trevor.

Attachments

• Cottage Row 1.jpg
    Cottage Row 1.jpg
    864.3 KB · Views: 13
  • Cottage Row 2.jpg
    Cottage Row 2.jpg
    782 KB · Views: 13
  • Cottage Row 3.jpg
    Cottage Row 3.jpg
    357.4 KB · Views: 11
  • Cottage Row 4.jpg
    Cottage Row 4.jpg
    361.4 KB · Views: 13
  • Cottage Row.jpg
    Cottage Row.jpg
    390.4 KB · Views: 13
hi trevor what wonderful family photos...little gems so thanks for sharing them

lyn

Hi Astoness, hope you and yours are keeping well and a big thank you for all the work you put in running this incredible site.
Yes, I promised I would send Angelal some photos of Cottage Row where we both used to live, but obviously at different times. I searched high and low and thought I would never find them but hey presto, they turned up where I least expected them. I did have her e-mail address and proper name, but I seem to have lost both of those as well. I think it's an age thing and my wife thinks I might already have one foot in a care home !

I just hope that Angelal picks up my post and sees the photos.

All the best,

Trevor.

Hi Astoness, hope you and yours are keeping well and a big thank you for all the work you put in running this incredible site.
Yes, I promised I would send Angelal some photos of Cottage Row where we both used to live, but obviously at different times. I searched high and low and thought I would never find them but hey presto, they turned up where I least expected them. I did have her e-mail address and proper name, but I seem to have lost both of those as well. I think it's an age thing and my wife thinks I might already have one foot in a care home !

I just hope that Angelal picks up my post and sees the photos.

All the best,

Trevor.
hi trevor and thanks for your kind words...we do our best... angela has not been on forum since jan but fingers crossed she will drop in on us again...so pleased you found those photos...what we must remember is that it is not easy to find photos showing the houses that were not actually on the front of streets or roads so photos like yours are a treat to have...many thanks and try not to lose them again :D take care

lyn

Back