• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

St Phillips Church Cathedral

I didn't go to town at that age, Dave, but I remember watching them cut down similar railings around Sparkhill park.

Maurice :cool:

I have a number of Birmingham postcards, mostly common views, but there are a number of St Philips Cathedral, some of which also carry the title and the Burnaby monument. Who or what was this a monument to and is it still there? Second question: Why does Birmingham have two cathedrals?
Third Question: What are the denominations of the two cathedrals?
Fourth Question: Which one does the Archbishop of Birmingham pontificate from?

Over many years, I was wheeled in my pram, dragged unwillingly by my mother (war years), crossed town, all through the Churchyard from the 5a bus stop outside the churchyard to New Street et al and back through it to Grays and Lewises, but I have to admit to an ignorance of the above points. Why is it called St Philip's Church Cathedral?

With luck with my new laptop and scanner, some postcard copies might appear, but do not sit up for them.

Bob

Burnaby monument:
1631712957737.png

By two cathedrals are you referring to St Philips and St Chads?

St Chads is the Roman Catholic Cathedral and St Philips is the Anglican Cathedral. As far as I know St Chad's has an Archbishop (currently Bernard Longley) and St Philips has a Bishop (currently David Urquhart).

Its name is said to be a tribute to the man who gave the land.

Last edited:
Many large cities have 2 cathedrals, eg
London - St Paul's and Westminster.
Liverpool - the two are joined by, the aptly named, Hope Street.

Burnaby monument:
View attachment 161594

By two cathedrals are you referring to St Philips and St Chads?

St Chads is the Roman Catholic Cathedral and St Philips is the Anglican Cathedral. As far as I know St Chad's has an Archbishop (currently Bernard Longley) and St Philips has a Bishop (currently David Urquhart).

Its name is said to be a tribute to the man who gave the land.
Once again, thank you for a swift reply, that is the leaning monument of Birmingham presumably.
Bob

Many large cities have 2 cathedrals, eg
London - St Paul's and Westminster.
Liverpool - the two are joined by, the aptly named, Hope Street.
I knew about Liverpool, but I did not know St Pauls was a cathedral and I thought Westminster, although a catholic cathedral was the cathedral for the City Of Westminster....somebody put me right if only to stop me waffling on uselessly. So Cardinal now St Newman would have been connected with St Chads.

Bob

.....I knew I should not have asked, Birmingham I discover has three cathedrals....St Andrews, the Greek Orthodox cathedral. London has many many more, Southwark and then a whole collection for other religions. I just visited Wikipedia

Bob

I knew about Liverpool, but I did not know St Pauls was a cathedral and I thought Westminster, although a catholic cathedral was the cathedral for the City Of Westminster....somebody put me right if only to stop me waffling on uselessly. So Cardinal now St Newman would have been connected with St Chads.

Bob

Westminster is the base for the Archbishop of Westminster who is the Head of the Roman Catholic church in England and Wales. This is currently Cardinal Vincent Nicholls - the former Archbishop of Birmingham. The Head of the RC church in England and Wales is often named a cardinal after appointment as Archbishop of Westminster.
There are other cathedrals in London because of the size of the City but I wasn't going to cloud the issue :D

Cardinal St John Henry Newman is a different story. He was not based at St Chad's. He started as an Anglican clergyman, converted to Catholicism in 1845 (I had to look that up), became a Catholic priest and eventually founded the Oratory in Birmingham. He was made a Cardinal in recognition of his work for the church in England. He lived at the Oratory until his death.

Hope that answers some of your questions. We are now off topic so I will stop there.

Westminster is the base for the Archbishop of Westminster who is the Head of the Roman Catholic church in England and Wales. This is currently Cardinal Vincent Nicholls - the former Archbishop of Birmingham. The Head of the RC church in England and Wales is often named a cardinal after appointment as Archbishop of Westminster.
There are other cathedrals in London because of the size of the City but I wasn't going to cloud the issue :D

Cardinal St John Henry Newman is a different story. He was not based at St Chad's. He started as an Anglican clergyman, converted to Catholicism in 1845 (I had to look that up), became a Catholic priest and eventually founded the Oratory in Birmingham. He was made a Cardinal in recognition of his work for the church in England. He lived at the Oratory until his death.

Hope that answers some of your questions. We are now off topic so I will stop there.
No you are never off topic, just very interesting thank you very much for all of that. I should finish with a blessing

Bob

Going to great lengths to find a match of stone to repair the Cathedral. Viv.

2609E6CB-A582-427A-81D9-F9AA71203617.jpeg
Source: British History Archive

Attachments

• 4CB248CC-E1E6-49F6-95D5-8B857127803E.jpeg
    4CB248CC-E1E6-49F6-95D5-8B857127803E.jpeg
    141 KB · Views: 3
Back