• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

St Philips Old Boys Club - The Bell & Pump Folk Club

Lady Penelope

master brummie
A friend is compiling details of all the folk clubs in Birmingham and at present he is researching the Bell & Pump Folk Club. He has asked if any member had a picture of the outside of St Philips Old Boys Club. I understand the club was held here (I think I may have gone many years ago).

Any help would be really appreciated.

Hello Pen,

I remember St Philips OB Club, and the Bell & Pump Folk Club. Back in the late 60's and early 70's we went there most weeks (Saturday night, I think) and saw plenty of performers from that era. Mostly, I have to say, forgotten, especially by me. In fairness, most of them were way too 'folkie' for our taste, but I do recall one band called The Silkie who were great. They had a hit with 'You've Got To Hide Your Love Away', written by Lennon/McCartney. I have a feeling that somewhere we still have their vinyl LP. Otherwise, there was a lot of 'hand over the ear' folkie stuff, nasal harmonies, never-ending introductions followed by never-ending and usually self-penned songs. Still, a good evening out and good beer at the bar, too. I also recall a bearded gent called Les (can't remember his surname) who was a really accomplished blues guitar-player, and who usually gave a couple of numbers between the folkie acts. There was also a trad jazz club at the OB Club, but we only went there occasionally, as it used to get absolutely rammed in there.

Edit: I just remembered another really entertaining folkie band we saw there, these being Brandywine Bridge (as per Tolkien), who are now, I believe, the resident band at Warwick Castle! They've come a long way!

I am sure that there is or was a photo on this Forum of the OB Club in Waterworks Road. If it's been demolished, then I'd be sorry to hear that.

G

Last edited:
Wow - great pix there, Pedrocut. I remember Lightnin' Slim, but most of all I remember the late Roger Hill, guitarist almost without equal around here. He passed on a few years ago, and we were all stunned as he was so full of life and his music. He would play either the Birmingham Hippodrome or in front of a couple of mates, made no difference to him.

Thanks for these.

G

Pen, Strawhead is a bit after my time! Still going, though, I think. Old English stuff, if I remember correctly.

G

Yes Big Gee, not really my cup of tea but very good if I remember correctly. I don't suppose the outside of the building is the sort of thing people would photograph is it? Not like a pub or something. I noticed there was a meeting of the Old Boy's Club at the Spotted Dog in Digbeth which suggests that they don't have a home of their own now. Wonder what's there in Waterworks Road instead?

I only went there a couple of times but remember seeing Julie Mairs and Chris Stowell and bought their album Soft Sea Blue. Julie had crystal clear voice that was the equal of any of the 'folk' singers of the day. Chris Stowell was a multi-instrumentalist of rare talent. Never heard of either of them since and I've often what happened to them.

Back