• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

St Peter's & St Paul's Church Aston Juxta

“... in a painted window of Aston Church, near Birmingham, is a coat-armorial of the Holts, baronets of Aston, containing the red hand, which is accounted for thus. Sir Thomas Holt, two hundred years ago, murdered his cook in a cellar, by running him through with. a spit; and he, though forgiven, and his descendants, were consequently obliged to assume the red hand in the family coat. The picture represents the hand minus a finger, and this is also accounted for. It was believed that the successive generations of the Holts got leave each to take away one finger from the hand, as a step towards the total abolition of the symbol of punishment from the family escutcheon.”

Book of Days. (1869)

Sorry it has taken me so long to reply, unexpected visitors in the shape of three grandchildren.

Thank you dib44 but I didn't get anywhere when I clicked on your link.

Thanks also to Ray for letting me know where St Peter and St Paul's Church was. I don't want to put the cat amongst the pigeons but, we are blue noses!!!:rolleyes:

John your images are superb, I love looking at churches and I had no idea that the interior of Aston Church was so magnificient.

Thanks ever so much everyone, I am very grateful to you all.
Best wishes
Sian
So you won't know the lyrics to the old Villa song, "A Little Piece of Heaven", which refer to Aston Church... :)

Back