• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

St Peter's & St Paul's Church Aston Juxta

Very impressive church, lots of very fine craftsmanship to be seen. Presumably a pre-reformation foundation.

The tower and spire date from around the mid-15th century, I believe, the remainder of the church dating from the end of the 19th century when it was extensively rebuilt due to deterioration. There are some very old effigies, tombs and monuments in the church, some belonging to the Holte family of Aston Hall. My parents were married there (by Canon Cole, I believe) in 1939, and I was christened there just after the War.

It is believed that there has been a church on this site since Anglo-Saxon times. Around 40 years ago my father, who was an electrician, did some wiring for the new vicarage in the grounds of the church. When its foundations were being dug, hitherto-unknown graves were uncovered, and my dad told me that some of these graves were examined by Birmingham University archaeologists, and dated to possibly Anglo-Saxon times.

I keep meaning to re-visit, but somehow have never got round to it. The last time my wife and I looked, it was locked, and I presume it still is most of the time. However, regular services are still held.

G

Interesting details. Many ancient churches were subject to extensive rebuilding/alterations in the Victorian era. Some were sympathetic others not so.

The worst crime in my opinion of some Victorian 'restorers' of ancient churches was to cover beautiful mediaeval wall-paintings. It's only in recent years that many of these have been un-covered, particularly in East Anglian churches. Evidently, the Victorians thought the paintings to be 'frivolous'.....

G

Interesting point G, I have often thought the same, Victorian vandalism. I understand that Lichfield cathedral was painted or whitewashed inside too, but the Victorians cleaned it all off.

The Puritans were also responsible for whitewashing the interior of many churches - they also thought that wall-paintings were a bit 'off'.

Did Victoria and Albert visit the Church in 1858 (when they visited Aston Hall)? This engraving shows a much less ornate interior in this section of the church where th Holt family memorials were held.

Viv.

5728657F-CD2D-43EB-A13B-97BD9271F668.jpeg

SS. Peter and Paul, Aston: Burials 1790 – 1793”....from Birmingham Libraries Iron Rooom

Looking at post #36, seems to show a side chapel. It was probably for the Holte family and I have a feeling that beneath the square shaped tablet (on the left with two figures) could be a fireplace to keep them warm. Fireplaces in areas of churches for squires and landed gentry were common. The peasants had to freeze. :rolleyes:
Memorial tablets are a common feature in many churches - usually a tribute to those who often put most money in the pot to keep it all going - but personally I detest them. More modern churches usually manage without them or they are kept to a minimum.

“... in a painted window of Aston Church, near Birmingham, is a coat-armorial of the Holts, baronets of Aston, containing the red hand, which is accounted for thus. Sir Thomas Holt, two hundred years ago, murdered his cook in a cellar, by running him through with. a spit; and he, though forgiven, and his descendants, were consequently obliged to assume the red hand in the family coat. The picture represents the hand minus a finger, and this is also accounted for. It was believed that the successive generations of the Holts got leave each to take away one finger from the hand, as a step towards the total abolition of the symbol of punishment from the family escutcheon.”

Book of Days. (1869)

Sorry it has taken me so long to reply, unexpected visitors in the shape of three grandchildren.

Thank you dib44 but I didn't get anywhere when I clicked on your link.

Thanks also to Ray for letting me know where St Peter and St Paul's Church was. I don't want to put the cat amongst the pigeons but, we are blue noses!!!:rolleyes:

John your images are superb, I love looking at churches and I had no idea that the interior of Aston Church was so magnificient.

Thanks ever so much everyone, I am very grateful to you all.
Best wishes
Sian
So you won't know the lyrics to the old Villa song, "A Little Piece of Heaven", which refer to Aston Church... :)

Back