• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

St Peter's & St Paul's Church Aston Juxta

jennyann

Gone but not forgotten. R.I.P.
Not my history to be sure but I was poking about in heraldry sites and came across this\\\\\;

The Red Hand of the Holt Baronets

The severed hand appears many times in heraldry and tradition, most notably in Ulster and in the Western Isles of Scotland. The legend that accompanies each tale is usually of a boat race towards an island which is to become the property of the first chief to touch it, and of the chief in the losing boat cutting off his hand and throwing it onto the beach just as his rival is about to jump ashore. Here is another story, this time featuring the early years of the Holt baronetcy, which must have enlivened a few breakfasts as it was read aloud from the morning newspaper.

Two hundred years ago Sir Thomas Holt murdered his cook in a cellar, and for generations his descendants were compelled to represent a murderer's hand in their armorial coat. The red hand is said to be still seen clearly in a painted window in Aston Church, near Birmingham, but it disappeared from the coat of the Holts before the title became extinct. One by one the Holt baronets secured leave to take away a finger from the hand, and slowly, in this way, the mark of murder passed.

Fascinating... Has .anyone ever spotted the red hand in the stained glass windows of Aston Church?

NOT SEEN IT

No I hav'nt. Last time I was in there I was getting married and I'd got too much on my mind to look.

(I hope I have that location right!)

I am seeking information of St Peter's, located Aston Juxta Birmingham. I'm unfamiliar with the geography of the area, so please forgive my ignorance!

I'm particularly keen on finding out about my Harrison relations, who were baptised at this church.

The family included William; wife Elizabeth; and children: George, Elizabeth, Mary, William, Albert, Eliza and Louisa. Immigrated to Louisville, KY, bet. 1868-1869.

According to the 1861 census, they lived (civil Parish) Aston; Ecclesiastical parish is St Clement; address is listed as Back Cottage, Nechells Park Road.

Colonelwwa, it could be anyone of these
St. Peter, Dale End, Birmingham
St. Peter, Handsworth
St. Peter, Harborne
St. Peter, Spring Hill
St. Peter & St. Paul, Aston

Hello colonelwwa, I would think the Church you are looking for is St Peter and St Pauls which was also known as Aston Juxta in early records. The church is still standing and the records are at Birmingham central Library.

Thank You!

This is wonderful information -- and exactly what I needed! I appreciate it very much!

St Peters in the City had gone by 1900's and was turned into YMCA Hall
Here is map showing it in 1800's

Last edited by a moderator:
aston parish church

the word juxta is not a part name of Aston church, but a word associated with being close by or near to as below.

juxta- (juxta-) [L. juxta near, close by] a combining form meaning situated near or adjoining.

JOHN, do you have an approx date for that picture? PLEASE! All my Mom & Dads familys were married at that church.

Hello listers

I'm here again asking for help please in finding photographs of St Peter's and St Paul's Church (one church) in Aston. Also St George's Church, I don't have a district for that but it will definitely be in Birmingham.

TIA

Best regards
Sian

Hello listers

I'm here again asking for help please in finding photographs of St Peter's and St Paul's Church (one church) in Aston. Also St George's Church, I don't have a district for that but it will definitely be in Birmingham.

TIA

Best regards
Sian

Let me put you out of misery St Peter & St Paul Church is Aston Church in Witton Lane.

Come on you Villa fans how many times have you past it.

Hello listers

TIA

Best regards
Sian
Here's youre picture happy.

Sorry it has taken me so long to reply, unexpected visitors in the shape of three grandchildren.

Thank you dib44 but I didn't get anywhere when I clicked on your link.

Thanks also to Ray for letting me know where St Peter and St Paul's Church was. I don't want to put the cat amongst the pigeons but, we are blue noses!!!:rolleyes:

John your images are superb, I love looking at churches and I had no idea that the interior of Aston Church was so magnificient.

Thanks ever so much everyone, I am very grateful to you all.
Best wishes
Sian

its aston parish church or aston juxta as it was sometimes called. just opposite aston hall.

Back