• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

St Peters R C School

Hi there, I am trying to rebuild a bit of my past and searching for info/maybe even old school chums from the 1960s. I was at 2 schools, St Peters RC which apparently according to an old school report from 1968 I have was on 'Broad St, Birmingham 1' and then at St Francis, which is still going, in Hockley, leaving there in 1972 to go to Grammar School (St Philips, Edgbaston).

I think St Peter's has gone - does anyone have any information on that - and also last time I drove past St Phil's it seemed to be shut down - again, does anyone know what befell it? (I was there 1972-1979).

Cheers!

St Peters

Edit. Unfortunately the image has been lost.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Garfage; I went to St Peters RC from 1945-52 then to St Chads.
The picture shows the end of the priests house and the two doors to the right they
use to have Boy Scout meetings in there. Head mistress Miss Clements other teachers Mr Padden/ miss Lester/miss Higgins art/ if you go through the symphony hall towards the canal just as you leave the hall stop look up thats where the school
was I did it the other night when I went to see The Eagles lovely memories.
It used to be St PETERS PLACE, at the Broad St end there used to be another church, also an antique shop called Shakespere House. hope this helps.....

I went to St Peters from 1956 to 1960 when I moved house to Worcestershire. I remember Miss Clements as head of the juniors and Mrs McIntyre head of the infant school. When Miss Clements left, Mr Vallely took over. He was from Scotland and he brought the tawse with him, a thick leather strap for hitting the children. Not a nice man

I went to St Peters from 1956 to 1960 when I moved house to Worcestershire. I remember Miss Clements as head of the juniors and Mrs McIntyre head of the infant school. When Miss Clements left, Mr Vallely took over. He was from Scotland and he brought the tawse with him, a thick leather strap for hitting the children. Not a nice man
I went to st Peter's school from 1957 to 1961 i remember miss McIntyre and Mr valerey

Hi there, I am trying to rebuild a bit of my past and searching for info/maybe even old school chums from the 1960s. I was at 2 schools, St Peters RC which apparently according to an old school report from 1968 I have was on 'Broad St, Birmingham 1' and then at St Francis, which is still going, in Hockley, leaving there in 1972 to go to Grammar School (St Philips, Edgbaston).

I think St Peter's has gone - does anyone have any information on that - and also last time I drove past St Phil's it seemed to be shut down - again, does anyone know what befell it? (I was there 1972-1979).

Cheers!
A friend tells me the steeple on the church was reduced in size to desguise it as a factory during WW11 , teachers he remembers Miss Clements , Mr's Mcintyre Mr Gunn Mr Vallely Miss Harrison( pen & ink ) she used to grind her teeth terrible there were more

Back