• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

St Peters Church, Harborne, Freda Strawbridge Headstone

image.jpg

Here's a pic of the winged wheel. The headstone is damaged at the moment and we are in the process of getting it repaired, this is an old photo, but one of when it was complete. It has also been cleaned since this photo was taken.

The headstone has been repaired today. It hasn't been cleaned yet as we are letting it settle after the repair.

Attachments

• headstone repair crop.jpg
    headstone repair crop.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 27
I went to see Freda's grave on Christmas Eve, all is good with the repair. I am hoping to get back there soon to do some more clearing. I couldn't help but notice that a tree next to the grave is marked with spray paint, I can't imagine, with it being such an established tree, that it will be cut down? If the tree is to be cut down I am sure the process will be safe, but I will be glad when I go there and it has been done!

I visited Freda's grave recently and the repair is holding up nicely. I am in the process of cleaning and clearing. I know it's a graveyard, but it is so lovely there. I can't help but wonder who lived in the little terrace houses that are next to the pub.

If only buildings could talk!

Hello, I moved to Harborne last year and have found St Peter's churchyard a wonderfully relaxing place to visit during current lockdown. I'm a Birmingham historian and have noticed quite a few of the city's good and great there. Is there a friend's group? I would love to join

On another thread,

Someone asked for why Freda's Grove got its name. I suggested that it was in recognition of a former Mayor, Freda Cox. Perhaps, having seen this discussion, it is in recognition of Freda Strawbridge?

Back