• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

St Peter's Chapel St Peter's Place

I did discover some photographs of the church being demolished but have included them because they're quite sad to see. The photograph I have included is the church being prepared for demolition (even that is demoralizing). The pews are gone and the altar rail is dismantled.

27384w.jpg
It was beautiful inside. I was baptised there and attended the school next door. The altar was white marble as were the altars on either side. The ceiling was painted blue with gold stars and the white dove in the centre. The walls in the 50s were pale blue, cream and gold. So sad that it was demolished. When they started digging the foundations for the Convention Centre, they discovered about 300 graves under the school playground!

It was beautiful inside. I was baptised there and attended the school next door. The altar was white marble as were the altars on either side. The ceiling was painted blue with gold stars and the white dove in the centre. The walls in the 50s were pale blue, cream and gold. So sad that it was demolished. When they started digging the foundations for the Convention Centre, they discovered about 300 graves under the school playground!

Welcome Spitfire I went to the school also I was Baptised there and served mass there . Miss Clements(Headmistress) Mrs McKyntyre(Deputy) Mr Gunn teacher Mrs Harrison teacher Mr Padden teacher to name but five good old days, Even with the smell of stale smoke and beer from the clubroom by the kitchen

I found this beautiful image on the skyscrapers.com website, there are 2 pictures but one is just the other reversed. Lots of pictures on there that I have not seen before. I've checked BHF and can't see it anywhere.

Attachments

• St-Peters-Place&Church.jpg
    St-Peters-Place&Church.jpg
    515.7 KB · Views: 38
  • st-peters-place.jpg
    st-peters-place.jpg
    507.3 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Has been discussed, possibly on Facebook, when it was miss-identified as a chapel south of Broad Street. You show the correct view but I know that there is a reversed photo floating around. This could be a Phyllis Nicklin photo.

I found this beautiful image on the skyscrapers.com website, there are 2 pictures but one is just the other reversed. Lots of pictures on there that I have not see before. I've checked BHF and can't see it anywhere
First Communion , Confirmation , and thoughts on becoming a priest here , plus I served at mass on several occasions at St Peters also went to the school for five years .

First Communion , Confirmation , and thoughts on becoming a priest here , plus I served at mass on several occasions at St Peters also went to the school for five years .
Looks idyllic on the 1953 photo but then when you look at the photo in post #120 taken in 1967 it seems such a shame the amount of deterioration. I imagine that you have fond memories of that time and place.

I found this beautiful image on the skyscrapers.com website, there are 2 pictures but one is just the other reversed. Lots of pictures on there that I have not seen before. I've checked BHF and can't see it anywhere.
I've seen the photo before, it is a Phyllis Nicklin image from 1953. The one you posted is the right way round though I have seen the reversed version. I have happy memories of my schooldays at St Peter's, also made my first Communion at the church in 1958......how time flies!

St Peter's Chapel, St Peter's Place

I have just obtained a marriage cert for relatives married in 1856, and they were married in St Peter's Chapel, St Peter's Place. Can anyone tell me which church this is, as I know there are several Peter's.
They were Irish, and as such RC, so hope that should help.

Wes
It was part of St Peters Rc school

Welcome Spitfire I went to the school also I was Baptised there and served mass there . Miss Clements(Headmistress) Mrs McKyntyre(Deputy) Mr Gunn teacher Mrs Harrison teacher Mr Padden teacher to name but five good old days, Even with the smell of stale smoke and beer from the clubroom by the kitchen
Brings back memories , all my old teachers

Back