• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

St Peters Chapel Dale End

H

Harry H

Hi, Has anyone found any pictures either internal or external of St Peters church. All I can find is a commemorative medal struck on the consecration of the churh, originally 1827 and again in 1837 after a serious fire. It was demolished in 1899. My great grand parents were married there in 1867.
Regards Harry H

The attached engraving of St Peters, dale end, is from 2A historical and descriptive sketch of birmingham" by Beilby. It is on google books if you search, and it gives some more details of the church
Mike

st_peters2C_dale_end.JPG

The attached engraving of St Peters, dale end, is from 2A historical and descriptive sketch of birmingham" by Beilby. It is on google books if you search, and it gives some more details of the church
Mike
Hi Mike,
Is there a specific title for the book. Have trawled though many boooks listed on google book search with beilby and various options without picking it up.
Regards harry h

hi.. just a bit of info here...the memmorial stone for st peters dale end was laid on 27th july 1825..it was designed by rickman and hutchinson in the classical style of the georgian period and had a massive portico supported on 4 doric columns and a turret modelled on the tower of the winds in the temple of minerva in athens. a fire broke out on jan 23rd 1831 and the majority of the church was destroyed. restoration was completed in 1837 and the church was eventually demolished in 1899..

hope this is of some help..

heres a pic of the commemorative medal which show the church.

astoness:)

sorry.. i am having problems dowloading this one:(...will post it as soon as i sort it out..

astoness

cant seem to get this pic on but if you google ST PETERS CHURCH DALE END...THEN CLICK ON WHERE IT SAYS 19TH CENTURY COMMEMORATIVE MEDAL IT SHOW THE FRONT AND BACK OF IT...

hope this helps a little.

cant seem to get this pic on but if you google ST PETERS CHURCH DALE END...THEN CLICK ON WHERE IT SAYS 19TH CENTURY COMMEMORATIVE MEDAL IT SHOW THE FRONT AND BACK OF IT...

hope this helps a little.

Hi astoness,
Thanks for the info and th ehelp much appreciated.
Harry H

no probs harry..just sorry i couldnt get the pics on...hope you find the link ok...

:)Has anyone any idea where I might find a photo of St Peters Chapel Dale end. An ancestor of mine was married there ,
I have a photo of the floor plan , but would like a picture of the exterior.:confused2:

Pom, thanks for posting the photo of St. Peter's, my g. grandparents married there in 1856, and all their 13 children were christened there too.
Another photo for the family records.

Can anyone tell me where I can find (or could have found) St Peter's Chapel in Birmingham please. From a marriage certificate I have for 1868 I know it was a Roman Catholic chapel and the bride and groom lived in Broad Street and Angelina Street. Incidentally, the bride's father's name was John Mullan and he gives his rank or profession as 'Traveller'. Does this mean he's a salesman or Romany? If you think Romany, any ideas as to how to progress the search further. Are there any Romany records in the UK?

There was a Roman Catholic St Peters Chapel in Broad Street built in 1786 and closed in 1969 and demolished. I think this chapel was built to take pressure off St Chads Cathedral. Details obtained from www.bmsgh.org . Hope this is what you are looking for.
Anthea:)

Some history about St Peters. Viv.

1F8C33CD-54A7-4DF5-B8C3-C2F8C37A45AB.jpegB4A561C6-8394-48DE-A04C-D331D87FDDE0.jpeg

Attachments

• 384383F1-FB96-47A2-A044-E6719118D9AE.jpeg
    384383F1-FB96-47A2-A044-E6719118D9AE.jpeg
    179.8 KB · Views: 9
This is Geo Warren Blackham's painting of St Peters Chapel. I like the warm Gloucestershire stone and the dominant pillars over the entrance. It's hard to imagine this as Dale End given the characterless place it's become today. Sadley the chapel had gone by 1899. Viv.

Screenshot_20230824_172540_Chrome.jpg

Back