• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

St Patricks C of E School Highgate Street.

hi malta i bet its the same shop as far as i can remember .there was only one fruit and veg shop near the bank at belgrave rd end of moseley road .maybe you can ask your uncle if he knew the boys of the davies family..one of them married my sister

unfortunately my uncle died years ago. he worked for the Davies family since he was a schoolboy on holidays and saturdays and when he left school he helped out weekends and some evenings after work so he would have known the boys.

Hi harley ..im confused ,,there was a bank on the top corner of belgrave road and one opposite by the veg shop (mrs davies ).on moseley road i think it could have been lloyds.there was also a chemist i think..there was a road or lane down the side of the bank is that where you lived or was it off belgrave road towards the top end by the traffic lights..my memory fails me.....

Hi Sandra my mum, aunt and uncles all attended St Patricks. Michael, Sedella (mum), Cicely and David Buckley. Mum and Cicely then attended Upper Highgate Secondary Modern and Michael and David went to St Albans (mum thinks). Mum remembers your name and thinks you may have known Cicely. They used to live on Tenby Avenue. You mention a Miss Robertshaw, mum said she never seem to be cheery a person, her favourite teacher was a Miss Pugh. Mum used to go to Sunday school at St Patricks church and has fond memories of squash and biscuits and her attendace stamp album! A few houses up from the school there was a sort of shop where you would buy cheap comics then return and exchange for a new one. Mum also remembers an off licence On the corner of Highgate St and Hick St which was run by the Frost family (son Christopher who was friends with Michael).

well i never . i used to hang about with cicely .....i knew all your family ...you say you are sedellas child....i knew them when they all lived in hick street up the avenue opposite the wellington pub on one corner and an off licence on the other .i think your uncle michael had a soldier friend called michael o.malley .i went out with him for a short time . cicely would remember raymond higgins and the old granny he used to live with .he went out with brenda mcbride ..does your mom remember kenny elliott .?i went to mary st school then onto highgate girls school where miss robertshaw was headmistress .she was so strict. i can remember her slapping cicelys face for swearing lol.. she wouldnt have got away with it these days ....i wrote to miss robertshaw until she died age 98....she never married and lived alone...i dont remember a miss pugh though .mrs bamfield .mrs clelford mrs d jones and miss jones the p.e. and dancing teacher .to name a few ...my first teacher there was miss blythe .but she left ..please keep this going is wonderful to go back in time..my email address is [email protected] .......do they remember owens shop and mrs timms shop at the top of hick st .i used to go to hope chapel corner of hick st and belgrave rd. for the juice and biscuits ......do they remember the sleet family ......hope to hear from you soon.

David Buckley is a very familiar name from Ballsall Heath,maybe a friend of my brothers

hi liz...i didnt know david buckley ..although i knew there was a younger child.i went to school with cicely his sister .small world isnt it. x

hi liz...i didnt know david buckley ..although i knew there was a younger child.i went to school with cicely his sister .small world isnt it. x
Hi Sandra i think my brother was his friend,a very small world hope your well

hi i went to st patricks in the fifty`s, i remember the headmaster mr pierce mii gittins miss freegard [ not a nice person ] and linda page [she was cute ]

Hi Guys ....

I fondly remember St. Patrick's. All our family (Shakespeare's of River Street) went there. I was born in 1957 and left St Patrick's in 1968 I then went to Mount Pleasant. My older brothers and sisters went to Hope Street when they left St Patrick's.

My sisters and brothers are: Michael, David, Anthony, Lavinia, June and Sandra.

I can remember in about 1964 Cadbury's organised a road safety competition, where all Birmingham schoolchildren were invited to write an essay - I won first prize and was presented with a large tin of Cadbury's goodies in front of the whole school. I wish I still had the Certificate!

I also remember the adorable white rocking horse that was kept in the hall. I so wanted that!

I remember when Mr Pierce retired and Mr Alban became our new Headmaster. I also seem to remember children from St Albans school joining St Patrick's for some reason - but I can't remember why(!)

Can anybody remember my family?

Those were the days .......

Hi Guys ...

I've already mentioned Mr Pierce, the Headmaster, but I forgot to mention the other great teachers ..... Miss Sherwood - my teacher, Mrs Pugh and Miss Gittins, who always smelled lovely, but she used to cry while she played her accordion!

Can anyone remember the Shakespeare family from River Street.

Hi Annie
Yes i remember your brother Tony - we were in the same class at St Patricks. Never got as far as Mrs Pughs class but i remember Miss Gittins and Miss Sherwood. During advent miss gittins used to have loads of candles on top of the cupboard at the side of the classroom which she would light for a few minutes every day, she used to bring in bunches of hawthorne berries for us to look at and read Heidi and Heidis children to us. Miss Sherwood was SO strict - but I loved her. I lived in Beale Buildings in Frank Street - long gone. I was in Balsall Heath a couple of years ago and the school building was still there - though no longer a school. St Patricks church is long gone too - do you remember the steps going down from the school playground into the back of the church? i have a photo taken in the playground during the coronation celebrations which i will post if I can work out how. My names Elaine, surname used to be Short

Hello Elaine

Sorry it's taken ages to reply ..... happy days eh? I loved St Patricks.

Yeah, the building's still there - some kind of Centre now Social Services I think. I remember Mr Pierce telling us one day in assembly that an arsonist has set fire to the church. I do remember the steps leading down from the playground to the church. I remember the toilets too and the tuck shop trolley.

Tony - lives in Somerset. He'll be 61 in September! Then there's David (59 in May), Lavinia (57 in July) and me (55 in August). There are some older siblings too ..... June, Michael, John, Sandra.

It was great to get your message, Elaine. Thanks! I'll keep checking in case you think of anything else or have any more memories (and hurry up and learn how to download that photo).

The landscape's changed a lot - but I still love to see the building. As I've already said HAPPY DAYS!

Hi again Elaine ... been thinking, I'd love to see that photo .... if I post you a few quid, is there any chance you could copy me the photo and send it to me? Be great if you could! I'll need your email address ....

Hi all, I also went to St Paricks from 1958 on and remember Mr Pierce, Miss Pugh, Miss Gittins, Miss Sherwood and Miss Ford, there were a couple more but cannot recall there names, if anyone has any old photo's that would be great.

I was at St.Patricks School l946 to l950. Miss Dickenson was another teacher. Did anyone ever find a picture of it? I thought it had been knocked down...is it really still there?
Pupils I remember....Tommy Jones, Roy Buckle, Mavis Wilde, Audrey Barker Robert Allen....anyone out there remember Margaret White?

My husband lived at 7 back of 8 Hick street, Dan Smith. He remembers Miss Gittins. Says a lot of children (including him) would have gone hungry if not for the jam sandwiches.
To the left of their entry was the green grocers, to the right the grocers/general stores and remembers a Fish and chip shop in either belgrave road or Highgate road. he remembers Christine Holdback and Nicholas Holdback. Dan left Hick street abt 1962, he then went to Clifton road school.
any photos old or modern would be most appreciated

Hi - St Patrick's was officially a RC school, although RC wasn't taught in the school, CoE was. So the RC St Patrick's you've found on Friends Reunited it sure to be the right one! Do you remember the church at the end of the playground which was burnt down by arsonists? I can remember attending the church during school times, but we definately was not taught catholic religiion. I know from friends and colleagues who have attended 'proper' Roman Catholic schools that Roman Catholic schools have a priest attend on a Friday - we never had that!

I have a photo (somewhere) of St Patrick's - which I'll let you have when I locate it.

xx Annie

Hi all, I also went to St Paricks from 1958 on and remember Mr Pierce, Miss Pugh, Miss Gittins, Miss Sherwood and Miss Ford, there were a couple more but cannot recall there names, if anyone has any old photo's that would be great.
Can any one remember Father Foyne the priest of at Patricks Church and school, I was in the Choir and an Alter Boy would love to know where he moved to, I think it was In south or North Shields, I know he was still at the church up until about 1955

Back