• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

St Patricks C of E School Highgate Street.

bilsat

master brummie
Hi There. has anyone got any pictures of the above school around 1955------1965 or any ex pupils out there that would remember Susan Osborne.
Thanks

bilsat,

just where was this St Patricks School, I lived in Balsall Heath, Highgate, Sparkbrook for a good part of my life and I have never heard it mentioned. St Albans School, Highgate Girls School, Chandos Rd School, I remember those but St Patricks is one that does not come to mind.

pmc1947

St Patricks School

Hi Again.
St Patricks School was in Highgate St and is still there.St Patricks Church was at the side of it but has now been demolished.

Hi everyone, I am looking for anyone that used to attend this school and also Upper Highgate secondary Modern. My cousins Margaret, Shirley and Graham Preston used to attend them when they lived in Belgrave road

Hi.....i attended upper highgate secondary modern girls school along with my sisters wendy lorna and jennifer ..leake...i am sandra nee leake. I left there in 1961..wendy left 1959..lorna and jenny left.a few years later. Miss robertshaw was our headmistress then .when she retired mrs bamfield took over ....my sister rosie went to st patricks.in 1970.... Keep in touch

My two younger sisters went to main street school and onto chandos road school......we used to go to "play centre " there...they eventually went to st albans school ....near conybere street.

hi i live in orchard road off belgrave road ,my family name was sadowska i started school at st patricks left there in 1961 ,then went to highgate girls mosley road ,we moved to school avenue ,opposit the friends institute ,i remember tews sweet shop hawleys bakery ,if anyone has any photos or memories of these places please tell me candy

candyb91, yes we lived in belgrave road ,my siter audrey went to highgate school ,us smaller kids went to chandos school. we went to hawleys baker every week and got the broken cakes ones which were a bit squashed ha ha , with a big family it was our weekly treat, and you could go to the side where they sold them to you , i think i remember the shop you talk of as we used to get our threpence worth of sweets there ,before going in the sixpenny crush .on a sat mornin at the alhambra pictures .

sandracoley,the mrs banfield you speak of was my headmistress as she went onto camden street school , where i attended in 1969, i know because my sister audrey took me to this school to start me in ,and she met the headmistress, and they were surprised to see each other after so long .as she was the head in highgate girls school also some years before .where my sister went to highgate girls. my sisters name was then audrey kavanagh.

hi harley well what a small world this is. mrs bamfield took over from miss robertshaw .my mom kept in touch with miss robertshaw after she retired .every xmas she sent my mom a card with a lace hankie in it .i wrote to her in her later years and we reminiced about highgate school..she was 98 when she died...she was very strict.!!!!!!!!!!!!.

i remember going to hawleys bakery .you had to go round the back entrance to buy cakes and bread left over or damaged .as a family of 10.we were well fed from hawleys ...where was tews sweet shop was it at the top of conybere st end by the highgate pub .i remember a kims sweet shop further towards the alhambra cinema. it was more modern than the other shop. i remember the friends institute as well is it still there ????

candy 91.is orchard road still there .i remember a family called davies .the mother had a fruit and veg shop on the moseley road .i think she also sold wet fish...her boys were melvyn lawson and kenny.

candy 91.is orchard road still there .i remember a family called davies .the mother had a fruit and veg shop on the moseley road .i think she also sold wet fish...her boys were melvyn lawson and kenny.

hi, no orchard road has gone ,they have widened belgrave road ,there is an island where the shops were .yes i remember the alhambera sat morning ,and dolly guest hairdresses in leopold street ,and there was a family called the watkins there was about 8 children the one daughter we used to call poony why i cant remember she had 2 older brothers ,cant remember the others, iremember the green grocers ,opposit the fire station,

hi candy..well i knew the watkins family .the girl was called valerie ..do you remember the pawn shop at the top of leopold st ..and the cafe by dolly guests ......wasnt there a butchers shop there as well. blimey im going back a bit now .lol

the watkins live at the bottom of school avenue,on the moseley road ,we lived in school avenue number 3 the other families that lived in the avenue was the moores the turners ,its funny when you talk about the memories ,how much more comes to mind , its nice to go back dont you think

hi dandy. yes as you say one memory prompts another ..i remember the watkins family well ..when the "sloppy joe " jumpers came out valerie was the first to wear one .i beleive she knitted it herself....i was really jealous .because it took me months to knit mine .lol good memories and good times dont you think ....

hi candy sorry about misprint on your name ....if you knew the watkins family did you know the smiths ..they lived at top of upper highgate street .i went to school with linda...

Hi sandracoley I had an uncle Tom Peters who lived in orchard terrace as a child many years ago and he sometimes worked for a greengrocers on the moseley road called Davies.
Malta.

hi malta i bet its the same shop as far as i can remember .there was only one fruit and veg shop near the bank at belgrave rd end of moseley road .maybe you can ask your uncle if he knew the boys of the davies family..one of them married my sister

ah you mention the bank, we lived up the lane over the road from the bank, next down from the pub. ooh it was poor ,but great memories as a kid growing up there.

hi malta i bet its the same shop as far as i can remember .there was only one fruit and veg shop near the bank at belgrave rd end of moseley road .maybe you can ask your uncle if he knew the boys of the davies family..one of them married my sister

unfortunately my uncle died years ago. he worked for the Davies family since he was a schoolboy on holidays and saturdays and when he left school he helped out weekends and some evenings after work so he would have known the boys.

Hi harley ..im confused ,,there was a bank on the top corner of belgrave road and one opposite by the veg shop (mrs davies ).on moseley road i think it could have been lloyds.there was also a chemist i think..there was a road or lane down the side of the bank is that where you lived or was it off belgrave road towards the top end by the traffic lights..my memory fails me.....

Hi Sandra my mum, aunt and uncles all attended St Patricks. Michael, Sedella (mum), Cicely and David Buckley. Mum and Cicely then attended Upper Highgate Secondary Modern and Michael and David went to St Albans (mum thinks). Mum remembers your name and thinks you may have known Cicely. They used to live on Tenby Avenue. You mention a Miss Robertshaw, mum said she never seem to be cheery a person, her favourite teacher was a Miss Pugh. Mum used to go to Sunday school at St Patricks church and has fond memories of squash and biscuits and her attendace stamp album! A few houses up from the school there was a sort of shop where you would buy cheap comics then return and exchange for a new one. Mum also remembers an off licence On the corner of Highgate St and Hick St which was run by the Frost family (son Christopher who was friends with Michael).

well i never . i used to hang about with cicely .....i knew all your family ...you say you are sedellas child....i knew them when they all lived in hick street up the avenue opposite the wellington pub on one corner and an off licence on the other .i think your uncle michael had a soldier friend called michael o.malley .i went out with him for a short time . cicely would remember raymond higgins and the old granny he used to live with .he went out with brenda mcbride ..does your mom remember kenny elliott .?i went to mary st school then onto highgate girls school where miss robertshaw was headmistress .she was so strict. i can remember her slapping cicelys face for swearing lol.. she wouldnt have got away with it these days ....i wrote to miss robertshaw until she died age 98....she never married and lived alone...i dont remember a miss pugh though .mrs bamfield .mrs clelford mrs d jones and miss jones the p.e. and dancing teacher .to name a few ...my first teacher there was miss blythe .but she left ..please keep this going is wonderful to go back in time..my email address is [email protected] .......do they remember owens shop and mrs timms shop at the top of hick st .i used to go to hope chapel corner of hick st and belgrave rd. for the juice and biscuits ......do they remember the sleet family ......hope to hear from you soon.

David Buckley is a very familiar name from Ballsall Heath,maybe a friend of my brothers

hi liz...i didnt know david buckley ..although i knew there was a younger child.i went to school with cicely his sister .small world isnt it. x

hi liz...i didnt know david buckley ..although i knew there was a younger child.i went to school with cicely his sister .small world isnt it. x
Hi Sandra i think my brother was his friend,a very small world hope your well

hi i went to st patricks in the fifty`s, i remember the headmaster mr pierce mii gittins miss freegard [ not a nice person ] and linda page [she was cute ]

Hi Guys ....

I fondly remember St. Patrick's. All our family (Shakespeare's of River Street) went there. I was born in 1957 and left St Patrick's in 1968 I then went to Mount Pleasant. My older brothers and sisters went to Hope Street when they left St Patrick's.

My sisters and brothers are: Michael, David, Anthony, Lavinia, June and Sandra.

I can remember in about 1964 Cadbury's organised a road safety competition, where all Birmingham schoolchildren were invited to write an essay - I won first prize and was presented with a large tin of Cadbury's goodies in front of the whole school. I wish I still had the Certificate!

I also remember the adorable white rocking horse that was kept in the hall. I so wanted that!

I remember when Mr Pierce retired and Mr Alban became our new Headmaster. I also seem to remember children from St Albans school joining St Patrick's for some reason - but I can't remember why(!)

Can anybody remember my family?

Those were the days .......

Back