• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

St Nicolas Lower Tower St Look Ups

Joanna

master brummie
Hi there,

I've got a marriage certificate which says the marriage was solemnized at the parish church in the parish of St Nicholas, Birmingham. I've Googled and about all it comes up with is the one in Kings Norton. I'm pretty sure this is not the one I am looking for but it didn't throw anything else up. I then searched on here and found reference to a church in Lower Tower St
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?posts/542286/

The people in question lived in Lower Brearley Street at the time of marriage and came from the Aston area so it seems plausible that this could be St Nicholas in question as they had no link to Kings Norton at all throughout their lives.

Is there a way of confirming this from the marriage certificate?

What date is the marriage? I ask because Kngs Norton was not Birmingham before around 1911. The date should confirm it, but also I believe that if it was Kings Norton it would have said Kings Norton.

You are right, there was a St Nicholas church in Lower Tower Street, which is near Brearley Street (or what is left of it). There are sadly no photos of the church in existence that we know of, but there is in the Library a photo of the interior.

I think the best person to confirm exactly what church it was is John Yates at the Register Office. 0121 675 2909. He is something of an authority in these matters and will be only too happy to confirm exactly which church it is. I hope this is of some help to you.

Shortie

Thanks for the info, it was about 1896 I think (I'm going off the top of my head as the file is elsewhere but it's definitely late 19th century).

At that date I suppose it is going to be St Nicholas, in Lower Tower Street, but would be interested to know if I am right or wrong.

Shortie

Some info on the churches St. Nicolas, King's Norton and St. Nicolas, Birmingham: St. Nicolas in King's Norton is spelled without the H which makes it a bit difficult to pin down as it is often listed with the h. The Birmingham St. Nicolas appears both with the H and without it!:
ST. NICOLAS, Birmingham (Lower Tower St.), designed by Martin and Chamberlain and comprising chancel, nave, aisles, and baptistery, (fn. 62) was consecrated in 1868. (fn. 63) A parish was assigned to it out of St. Stephen's, Birmingham, in 1869, (fn. 64) when the living became a vicarage in the gift of the bishop. (fn. 65) In 1942 the benefice was united with that of St. Edward, Birmingham, to form the united benefice of St. Nicolas and St. Edward. (fn. 66) The church was closed in 1947 and subsequently demolished. Might be a photo out there somewhere.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Nicolas'_Church,_Kings_Norton There is a photo on this site of the Church plus other info which is very interesting
https://www.kingsnorton.info/places/st_nicolas_church.htm

Hello jennyann, I am new to the forum. With reference to St Nicholas church Lower Tower St, my grandfather was caretaker there until 1947, and yes I do have a photo of it

hi padgo and welcome to the forum....it would be great if you could post the pic you have of st nicholas please..been trying to find one of it for a while now...ps if you are interested go to the lower tower st thread where i have posted about 7 pics of the street..

many thanks

lyn

img029.jpgHello Lyn, St Niks in all its glory. I have no idea what year it was taken, must be before 1947 when it was demolished. Dave.

wonderful dave thanks so much..i know of quite a few of our members who have been waiting to see a pic of st nics.. the church was closed in 47 but may have been around a bit longer before being demolished...sending you a private message...

lyn

Last edited:
Hello Lyn, nice to see another pic of St Nics especialy from the other side, any idea when it was taken. Dave.

Back