• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

St Michaels RC School Floodgate Street

Welcome to the forum Kalkal. Hopefully other former pupils will see your post. Enjoy the forum. Viv.

KalKal..hi..there is more info on st micks site on facebook..lots of ex pupils from the 40s 50s check it out..hope it helps..

Hi. My Mom went to St Michael's Senior in 1958. Her name was Carole Ann Dodds. I have tried the Facebook link and it doesn't connect for me. Has anyone got a picture of the school as I know it was bombed and I am struggling to get hold of one. It is my Mom's 70th next year and I am building a book of memories for her. Many thanks Michaela.

The school that your mother attended is mostly still there and not bombed out, Give your mother my best wishes I do remember her. was she in Joe parkers class 1A in 1958? there are some photos out there of this class and A2 the following year. I have a photo to repost of the 1st year football team.

Attachments

• 1st Years St. Michaels 1958 9.jpg
    1st Years St. Michaels 1958 9.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 39
Thanks Bob. Do you know where I can access the pictures of class 1A. She was in that class. I will pass on your regards.

The school that your mother attended is mostly still there and not bombed out, Give your mother my best wishes I do remember her. was she in Joe parkers class 1A in 1958? there are some photos out there of this class and A2 the following year. I have a photo to repost of the 1st year football team.
many thanks,,,bob, for posting photo of our old team at st michaels,,,,its almost 60yrs ago,,where did the years go.,,,i had lost this photo,,,,,they were a good bunch of lads, john mullen could of made it in the professional game,,he was a great player, regards john griff

Hi John
you got me canned by Joe Parker because I was talking to you at our desk do you remember? Sad news is that John Mullen has been ill lately in Ireland, informed by a neighbour. Still in touch with Michael Ward whos now a farmer on the west coast of Ireland as well.

Regards to you.

Hi John
you got me canned by Joe Parker because I was talking to you at our desk do you remember? Sad news is that John Mullen has been ill lately in Ireland, informed by a neighbour. Still in touch with Michael Ward whos now a farmer on the west coast of Ireland as well.

Regards to you.
hi bob,,,thanks for replying,,,,sorry to hear about john mullen,,where were all the scouts that didnt spot him,?,,,,,i well remember mickey ward, i met jimmy his brother one night in a digbeth pub,,nice lads,, ,,they lived by us,,,,your name pops up all over,,,it must keep you busy,,,,my own brother tommy died 20yrs ago.. another st micks old boy,,,,,very fit , died of a heart attack, after a cycle ride to keep fit,!,[which he did every night], my old mother never got over it,,,it broke her heart,,,,,,bfn jg,,,,ps sorry about the caning,,,,you didnt deserve it,!

Hello everyone,
It's been a while since I last logged in but I can't think how I missed this thread. I went to St Michael's in 1957, I can still remember old Parker, Miss Morran (later Lyons?) Mr Dobson and Mr Halsey; he taught us how to play cricket. Was it Halsey who used to teach us gardening at the allotment?
Mr Dobson was ex 8th Army in the desert and was always singing the "D-Day Dodgers" song.
I was another one who regularly got the can off old Parker!

It's great to see this thread of the old school, who remembers the chippy just around the corner, and the tuck shop next door which made their own toffee slabs?

Best Wishes

Mike (Costello)

Last edited:
I was at St Michael's in the 70s. Alcocks Street school first then onto St Micks. I remember the following teachers Mr Parker loved to sit at his desk cane in hand. Cigarette always on the go, ash falling everywhere. Mrs Boyce - play ground, girls lined up every morning, uniform inspected, shoes.... any platforms she wasn't happy!! Miss Chandler - French horrible - made my life a misery in that class. Mrs Millward - needlework, lovely lady and lovely class. Sister Mercedes (walking up to Alcocks st, for cookery classes. Not sure if sister was there, or at Holy Trinity) loved her classes anyway, still love to cook and bake thanks to her and my mom. We had a great Maths teacher strict but good. A brilliant History teacher - can't remember name and a Geography teacher name?? And of course Mr Winston.

Last edited:
hi i`am chris mcnally left st michael`s 1966 can remember all the names john flatley mentioned and a lot more - was mates with michael lawless who came with me from st catherine`s school also a very special girl Jacqueline Nash who was in all my classes throughout my time a st catherine`s would love to hear from her or any of her friends - plus should anyone hear of a school reunion please post it on this site or facebook under st michael`s - cheers chris
Hi, my name before I married was Margaret O’Rourke, I attended St.M’ from 1961 to 1966, I was in the A stream,Miss Dunn was the head mistress, I remember Mr.Parker (the creep), Mr.Dobbin, class mates, Margaret Bates, Jeanette Norton, Christopher Slattery. Anyone out there remember me?

re,,,tommy griffin he was seamus dunleavys brother in law,,,not his nephew,,,he owned and ran the talk of the town club for 25yrs or more,,,he passed away very suddenly in 1998 from a heart attack,,,,he had a lovely family 4 boys and 1 girl,,,at his death he was living in gorleston,,,near gt yarmouth,,,,after living for many years in seven star rd solihull,,,,he was a great character with many friends as witnessed by his huge funeral,,,,in gorleston,,,,his 4 boys all run their own businesses,,,and like tommy were very good footballers,,,,best regards john griffin [brother]

Hi, I am a newbie - only joined at the weekend. I have a photo of Class 1a September 1958 (before the St Catherine's pupil's joined us for that year), I need som help in identifying some of the names, and making sure I put the right names to the faces. I am doing a scrapbook page about my time at the school (loathed it)! and I need to get the names right - can anyone help please?View attachment 50488
Back row I have names for l-R 1. Jean Lawton, 2. Maureen O'Connor, 3. Catherine Cassidy 4. (me) Susan Clarke, 5. Jacqueline Williams 6. Elizabeth Mc ? 7. Bernadette H ? 8. Patricia Green (John Scully's aunt) 9. Hazel Pulling 10. Paula? 11. Paulette?
Middle Row l to Rt. 1. ? 2. John Scully 3. ? 4. Pauline C? 5. Judith Digby 6. Patricia Bowen 7. Philomena Sheehan(played accordian) 8. Jean Costello 9. Paul Carpenter? 10. ? 11 . ? 12 ?
Front row lt to rt 1. Paul Cleary 2 Liam Bermingham 3 ? 4. John Disney 5. ? 6. ? 7 ? 8.? Dolan 9. Paul ? 10. ?
11. Brian ? 12. ?
Would be very grateful for any help!

Many thanks for your help Bob, I yhought that was his name, but was not sure - every little helps!
Sally
dear sally,,,could you re-post the photo i cant see it,,,my late brother is on it ,,,tommy griffin,,,best wishes john griffin,

Sorry about the delay in answering this Bob, been busy, well to put the name's to faces.
Back row, from left, Peter Harte,John Mullen, Desmond Kelly, Micky Floody,John Lovell, Not known, then you.
Front row from left, Not known, Bobby Hall, John Hames, John Griffin, Not known.
Obviously with Old Joe Parker at the back, the only time he never had a fag in his mouth!!

I have the footbal team photo from the previous year which I am on, I will try and post it.

I will now keep a regular eye on this thread to answer any questions you might have.

What surprises me is that all the kids who went to St Micks there's only you and me who seem interested in remembering it, perhaps they all had bad memories, personally I though it was a rough and ready education but what else did we expect in the 50's after the war!! Its what you did after what counted. Much better in the 60's and 70's as you have shown by your stories and photo's around town.

Smiler
Hi there my name is Tommy Hames captain of team front row 1st year correction to one name back row should be Christopher Kiernan not name stated all others correct except first name Tommy and surname should be Hames captain front row middle

Did anyone go to St Michael's RC School, Floodgate Street, Digbeth ?

I cannot find any mention of it anywhere, this school was a Catholic School, bombed out of Bordesley Street in the Second world war and moved to the old Floodgate Street School, Digbeth in about 1943.

This school educated!!!! many rough and ready catholic 'brummie' lads, some of whom went on to be 'millionaire's',(to my knowledge) but I have never found anyone posting anything about this school.

Post war the headmaster was Mr McCoy, who's reputation was legend, it was a hard school where boxing was encouraged for a preparation for later life.

Well where are the old 'boys' what have they done!! Did their time at' Saint Mick's' see them all right in life? You know that you are out there!!

I went there 1958-63, it was an 'education' but stood me in good stead through life and allowed me to retire independent at 54!! not so bad!!!

So any memories out there!!!! Will anyone contribute, please.
Yes i attended 1958 to 1962 Tommy Hames last class 4a Dobbins

Back