• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

St Michaels RC School Floodgate Street

Sallyk
the guy on the bottom row 3rd from the left with the bushy fair hair is Tommy Griffin, he was Shamus Donleavy's nephew and lived in Sparkbrook. Tommy owned the club on the Stratford Road, just before Walford Road, I cannot remember the name of the Club. Tommy was a great character of his time but unfortunately I believe he passed away recently.
great photo it was the year before I enrolled for 1 year only in Joe Parkers class.

Many thanks for your help Bob, I yhought that was his name, but was not sure - every little helps!
Sally

hi i went to st Annes 1965-71 and st micks 1971-74 and was a class mate of all three of these lads. i have met patrick Gaynor several times. he is still in brum. he told me sean lives in burton. As for chris Mooney or his brother michael i have not seen them in 30 years

i have discovered that chris mooney has been a teacher of akido for many years and his school is based in northfield

Hi, I am a newbie - only joined at the weekend. I have a photo of Class 1a September 1958 (before the St Catherine's pupil's joined us for that year), I need som help in identifying some of the names, and making sure I put the right names to the faces. I am doing a scrapbook page about my time at the school (loathed it)! and I need to get the names right - can anyone help please?View attachment 50488
Back row I have names for l-R 1. Jean Lawton, 2. Maureen O'Connor, 3. Catherine Cassidy 4. (me) Susan Clarke, 5. Jacqueline Williams 6. Elizabeth Mc ? 7. Bernadette H ? 8. Patricia Green (John Scully's aunt) 9. Hazel Pulling 10. Paula? 11. Paulette?
Middle Row l to Rt. 1. ? 2. John Scully 3. ? 4. Pauline C? 5. Judith Digby 6. Patricia Bowen 7. Philomena Sheehan(played accordian) 8. Jean Costello 9. Paul Carpenter? 10. ? 11 . ? 12 ?
Front row lt to rt 1. Paul Cleary 2 Liam Bermingham 3 ? 4. John Disney 5. ? 6. ? 7 ? 8.? Dolan 9. Paul ? 10. ?
11. Brian ? 12. ?
Would be very grateful for any help!
Hi Sally Paul Cleary lived next door to me for years,Susan Clark,or Sally as i knew her,lived just down the yard from me,and i recognise both

Last edited by a moderator:
I lived on walford road for many years and most of my family went to st michaels. there were two irish clubs in the vicinity of walford road. one was the harp and the other was the the labour club.

There was also 'The Sabre Club'. As one came out of Highgate road looking towards Walford Rd, The Sabre was on Stratford Rd to the left facing you.

Robert thanks for the info. That's the club Tommy Griffin ran with Shamus Donleavy whom was Tommy's uncle. I used to sit with Jonnie Griffin (Toms younger brothe ) in Joe Parkers class and funny enough I also was cained by Joe for talking to Jonnie. Happy days wak! wak!

hi joealcock
just read your thread on your bye gone days
and in answer to your question ; does any body recall the followings ;
yes i do recall the two names micky whealan ; and yes he was a tough guy and grew older to be an even tougher guys; [ no comments added to him ,] and old dolan family i knew as as well
from way back forties and more so the fiftie and the early sixties ;
have a nice dy best wishe Astonian ;;

Hello
My name is Dermot Winston
I am a retired (Thank God!) schoolteacher
My late father Michael Winston taught at St Michael's in the 40s 50s with John McCoy, Albert Halsey, Bill Dobbins, Joe Parker and all those other names from the past
I also taught at St Michael's from 1970 until it closed in 1975 (I began teaching in 1968 at St Anne'sRC Primary)
Most of the pupils and staff, including myself, moved in that year of 1975 to Holy Trinity RC School in Small Heath where I worked until my retirement in 2008
I have very fond memories from the days when I worked at St Mick's (including the honour of helping to run the unbeatable Boxing Club)
We used to have "a pint" at The Polish Club after training on Thursdays
I can dimly recall the days when you would have been a pupil there - I occasionally visited dad and remember being awed by the "big" pupils (I was at Oratory Primary School at that time)
I have posted some old St Michael's photos on my Facebook page
I hope to upload some more in the next few months
Best wishes
Dermot

View attachment 57318Hi. My name is Dermot Winston
This is a photo of my late parents Michael and Anne Winston.
My dad taught at St Michael's in the 40s 50s
I taught there from 1970 to 1975 when it was sadly closed
The photo shows mom and dad with John Joseph "Rinty" Monaghan a World Flyweight Champion Boxer on a visit to St Mick's
Dermot

Dermot, I think you failed to attach your photo.
I would love to see your old photos of St Mikes on this BHF site if you can, it would be appreciated as I don't use facebook like many others.

Kind Regards
Bob

Hello Bobhowler how are you doin i wonder if there are any photos of Mcoy the hard man

Ma-reece

Hi Bob
The photo I attached is 57318 (click on it at the beginning of my post, it's printed in blue))
At the moment I'm spending so much time uploading photos to Facebook that it will be a while before I get round to doing the same with birminghamhistory
To be honest I'm not entirely sure how to upload to birminghamhistory (Facebook process is very straightforward - even for me!)
I'll do my best
Best wishes
Dermot

G'day Dermot,
Having boxed for my school,Upper Thomas St.in the 1940s.I remember St.Micks.well, we went there a couple of times,The gallery around the main hall made it a bit classier than most venues.It could be selective memory,but I don't recall U.T.S.ever losing a tournament in my time with them.lol.
There was a headmaster or teacher,who seemed to be in charge ( or shared responsibility with Mr.Reg Milner from U.T.S. ) of most schoolboy boxing at this time,I can't remember if he was from St.Micks.or St.vincents.
Do you recall this man ?,he was big and had no hair.

Hi Ray
I tqught at St Michael's from 1970 until its closure in 1975.
I believe that St Michael's was undefeated in the Birmingham Schools (BSABA) for 13 years at this time (you may dispute this of course!).
I remember a an elderly Dr Sudki who used to examine the lads before they boxed.
The story went that if they had a pulse Dr Sudki would pronounce them fit!
The teacher you may be thinking of was probably the late Albert Halsey (RIP).
Albert was a big man, thinning hair and a former Army boxing champ.
Albert had been in a tank regiment during WW2 and was one of the first troops to enter/liberate one of the conentration camps (Belsen?)
He was reluctant to talk about these experiences.
The Headteacher at this time would have been the late John McCoy.
I respected both men greatly.
They were a special breed. Sadly lacking today.
Regards,
Dermot
ps when St Michael's closed in 1975 all staff/pupils moved to a "new" school in Small Heath named Holy Trinity. Still there today.
I took all the boxing equipment with us but by the mid 70s all the kids seemed to be interested in was "Kung Fu" - jumping up in the air, screaming and throwing their legs around!

I can't remember if he was from St.Micks.or St.vincents.
Do you recall this man ?,he was big and had no hair.

Ray i went to St Vincents R.C. in Vauxhall we never had a boxing team the school was so small we only had 15 boys in the top class even the football team was made up of younger boys. but my ex brother in law boxed for Upper Thomas St in his day he was very good and i believe became Midland Boys Champion(or runner up) in the 50s his name was Tom Jennings and lived in Catherine St.stopped boxing when he left school. Dek

Dermot,
My first bout for U.T.S. was c1946,there were 4 of us who were to small to be matched,,so they put us in the ring together and billed it "The Battle Royal"...a sort of,last man standing,great stuff.One of the lads from U.T.S.got the call to box in the 1952 Helsinki Olympics,however, he also had his national service call up at the same time,so missed his chance of winning an olympic medal,perhaps,that medal would have been more of a prize than the United Nations medal and the Korean Star,which he did earn.
Dec,
The rules seem to have been a bit lax,on this boxing bill (I am E.Barrett),you can see there are lads from other schools boxing for St.Mary's,I don't recall your brother-in-law,after my time probably.
Oh,the teachers of my schooldays,I would regard as the best ever,tough but fair.

Dermot
I cannot open your photo link 57318, its described as ; Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator .
I know its a pain down loading photos on BHF and could be made a lot easier, would you try again please, as I and other St Mikes old pupils appreciate your endeavor.

Bob

View attachment 57318Hi. My name is Dermot Winston
This is a photo of my late parents Michael and Anne Winston.
My dad taught at St Michael's in the 40s 50s
I taught there from 1970 to 1975 when it was sadly closed
The photo shows mom and dad with John Joseph "Rinty" Monaghan a World Flyweight Champion Boxer on a visit to St Mick's
Dermot

Just registered on this site.John Flatley.Went to St Michael's between 1961 & 65 approx.Had brother Tim 2 years below me.I remember head McCoy & other teachers:Joe Parker,O'Donnell,Dobbins,Miss Nicholls.Pupils:Joe Cunningham,Brendan Duffy,Daniel Twohig,Christopher Slattery,Robert Mulveigh,Donald Hollywood,Philip Leckie,Robert Keenan,Pat McQuigan,Jackie Nash,Jeanette Norton,Rita Shanahan,.....loads more but can't remember the names just now,perhaps someone could remind me if they remember me at all....I'd love to hear from you.I've seen Joe Cunningham since school & a few others at St Micks school reunions a few years ago.They were organised by Mary Doyle who may have been in our Tim's class/year.

Back