• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

St Matthias Birmingham : Marriage Lookup PLEASE...

skylark

Proud to be a Brummie !!
Seasonal Greetings: Does anyone have any access to St Matthias Church Marriage records? If so - I would be really grateful if they could look up a Sept Qtr1920 marriage between: Lily A Ashford and George Henry Howard. This info might be the answer to a long standing family mystery. Many Thanks as always, Skylark.

Many thanks for this info - I really appreciate you taking the time to help me. I will double check all the info I have about Lily Annie - the name given for her Father is correct - but - he was a wire drawer not greengrocer !! Who said family research was easy ? (Not Me). Have a nice Christmas. Regards & thanks again. Skylark.

The lady above appears to be registered as Hannah Lily Ashford, Jun qtr 1897 (dob 21 Apr), the daughter of William Ashford and Clara Chatwin.

She is listed as Lily on her baptism and Annie on the censuses.

William is listed as a gun maker in 1901 and a dealer in second hand boxes in 1911.

Ah! Thank you for naming her mother as Clara Chatwin - confirmation that this is not the Lily Ashford I am researching. Back to the drawing board ! Many Thanks for your help. Skylark.

Would it help if you posted the names and info you have and we could perhaps help in your search?
The Lily who is the daughter of William and Clara has an address of "Green Man, Public House, Summer Lane" on her baptism record.

Is this "your" Lily?
1640267696636.png

Mother appears as Hannah, Annie and Annie Maria on various records. Anna Maria Ward married William Ashford a wire drawer in 1885.

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Hello Janice: Parents were Ann Maria Ellen Ward/ Ashford/Swain and Wm Ashford. On the 1911 census, Annie Swain ( widow) 49: Lily Ashford, 14, Learner of Shroud Making: Both living in Greenway Street, Small Heath. Electoral Rolls 1920/25 show Annie still in Greenway Street, she died in 1927. Would love to know what became of Lily Ashford. Many thanks . Skylark.

OK - so I did find the right birth. Another mix up of names - with Anna Maria appearing under several names. Will look later and see what I spot.

There are surprisingly few marriages for Lily Ashford, none of the local ones seem promising even the ones with a middle initial added. Looked at Lily Swain as well but nothing.

The only intriguing one is a marriage for a Lily Ashford to a Richard H Kitchen-Dunn registered in Wandsworth Sep 1920. He seems to be of a similar age but there's nothing to proof it's her.

Also, he appears to have possible gone off with another woman, having a child with her and then marrying her some years later. No idea what happened to this Lily though.

Thanks for looking Janice. Lily was B'ham girl through & through, so not sure that she would have gone "orf" to London. Maybe I should be looking for a death for Lily Ashford...more midnight oil burning... Skylark.

Thanks but it wasn't me who posted.
MWS beat me to it. I had come to the conclusion that perhaps she hadn't married but hadn't looked any further.

Thanks but it wasn't me who posted.
MWS beat me to it. I had come to the conclusion that perhaps she hadn't married but hadn't looked any further.
oops! Could have been worse-I might have thanked M&S !! My sincere thanks to you BOTH for your help. Happy Christmas. Skylark.

Back