• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

St Matthews Duddeston Lookups

J

jconcha

Hi,
I am looking for the marriages of several family members and thought perhaps these might have taken place at St. Mathew:

Stanley Charles BEWES/Dorothy Ivy RAY, 1936, 3rd qu
Doris BEWES/Cyril PENNINGTON, 1935, 2nd qu

Perhaps someone might be able to look up a date for me. Thanks
Jane

Hello, I wonder if anyone can help me please, is it possible to look up a marriage for John Haynes to Elizabeth Beckingsale on 28th December 1879 in St Mathews, Aston. I am reaaly keen to find Elizabeths age & her fathers name, any help greatly appreciate
Paul

Hi Paul

I shall be going to the Birmingham Reference library during next week, i should be able to find the information for you there.

Regards

Steve

Steve, Thank you so much for your offer, I would be very grateful if you can spare some time to have a look, Thanks again
Paul

I'm going to the Birmingham Reference Library on Friday 12th Feb. I'll have a look at the St.Mathew parish register of marriages.

Steve

Thank you, Steve. I look forward to hearing from you again. Hope weather is good for you!
Cheers, Jane
:)

Hi Jane. I haven't had any luck i'm afraid. I looked at the actual St. Matthew church register and St. Clement's church register both of Duddeston, Aston and they are not entered.

Regards

Steve

Hi Paul. I have had a look at the marriage entry in the church register. Not much information i'm afraid. It reads, John Haynes, of FULL AGE, bachelor, and a labourer of this parish married Elizabeth Beckingsale, of FULL AGE, spinster of this parish on the 28th December 1879 at St.Mathew's church Duddeston. Neither Father's name is listed, only the word dead in each case, with their occupations left blank. Both John and Elizabeth signed the register as did witnesses Edward and Esther Roberts.

I must say Paul that this is the first marriage certificate that i have seen (i've seen a few) with so little information.

Regards

Steve

Hi Steve,
thank you so much for your efforts on my behalf. Even though it wasn't successful I do appreciate the effort.
Cheers,
jane

Dear Steve, thank you so much for sparing the time for the look up. I really appreciate your efforts, Elizabeth Beckingsale has been a complete enigma until she married John Haynes, looks like she will continue to haunt me, thanks again,
Paul

Hello everyone
Just have a quick question
Does anyone know if St Matthews in Duddeston is still standing.
Would really appreciate any info
Many thanks
Pam

Yes it,s still there in all it,s glory if you use Google Maps you will find it on Nechells Parkway. Dek

another couple...

Attachments

• DuddestonNechellsStMatthew01[1].jpg
    DuddestonNechellsStMatthew01[1].jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 5
  • St_Matthew's_Church_Nechells[1].jpg
    St_Matthew's_Church_Nechells[1].jpg
    163 KB · Views: 5
Hello
Thank you so much to everyone who answered me about St Matthews church and for the lovely photos.
Is there anywhere i can research baptisms at St Matthews?
Thank you once again
Pam

Can anyone help me find the baptism for Mary Ann GOUITE (b.1882)? I believe it was at St Matthews as her sister was baptised there in 1884. Thank you.
Angela

Pam1949,

It seems that these records are not online, therefore you will only find them in Birmingham Archives at the Library of Birmingham. They don't even appear to have been filmed by the LDS Church and are not on FreeReg or any of the usual places - unless someone knows better.

EDIT: Ooops, just spotted this was a 2011 query.

Maurice

Back