• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

St Matthew Church Duddeston

LindyB65

master brummie
Could someone find a photo of St Matthews duddeston,my great aunt Minnie Hunt got married to Silvanus Gray there in 1897
Thank you
Lindy

St Mathews IS still standing, but it no longer functions as a Church, there is new, more modern building behind it,
My Sister Norma got married there in 1961 and my sister Rita was also married there in 1975.
And last but not least my Paternal Grandmother is buried there, no grave marker now though as the family were asked if they could resite her grave in a different part of the grounds..
Cannon Thomas who ruled the roost throughout the 60's was one of the greatest men I've ever known.

Could someone find a photo of St Matthews duddeston,my great aunt Minnie Hunt got married to Silvanus Gray there in 1897
Thank you
Lindy
The attached photo has been found in the church. It has trolley bus wires (2 sets) so must have been taken between 1922 and 1940. A more accurate date would be welcome.

Attachments

• StMScaffoldingPhoto.IMG.jpg
    StMScaffoldingPhoto.IMG.jpg
    847.9 KB · Views: 29
My wife's parents were married there on Dec 27th 1937 and the signature of the vicar on the certificate looks like JWG? Hathaway.

St Mathews IS still standing, but it no longer functions as a Church, there is new, more modern building behind it,
My Sister Norma got married there in 1961 and my sister Rita was also married there in 1975.
And last but not least my Paternal Grandmother is buried there, no grave marker now though as the family were asked if they could resite her grave in a different part of the grounds..
Cannon Thomas who ruled the roost throughout the 60's was one of the greatest men I've ever known.
cannon thomas was ok. he was friends with my nan;);)i used to look after the plumbing tec.there one night i had a phone call off him. saying he was up to his ankles in holy water. a radiator had sprung a leak.lol

The attached photo has been found in the church. It has trolley bus wires (2 sets) so must have been taken between 1922 and 1940. A more accurate date would be welcome.
Most of the overhead wiring was not removed until a few years later. Bits, here and there, were removed to replace damaged tramcar overhead, but that still left a lot intact. Not sufficient of course to re-instate trolleybuses, particularly as motor buses had taken their place.

St Matthew's Church Nechells 2013​

St_Matthew%27s_Church_Nechells.JPG

image Brianboru100 wikimedia.org

Back