• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

St Marys Parish, Handsworth - Marriage 1842

williamjukes

master brummie
Would any members know if the registers for marriages (1842) are available to view on line.

I have found a marriage on FreeReg - 1842 St Marys Parish, Handsworth - John Kady (Glass cutter) to Sarah Jennings, but I am looking for their addresses at the time of marriage.

Any help would be kindly appreciated. Thank you in anticipation.

William.

hopefully someone can help you william...cant be certain but ancestry may have st marys church handsworth marriage certs on..i am not subbed at the min so cant look for you

lyn

Took a bit of searching but finally found the entry on Ancestry under John HADY. The registration on FreeBMD is also under Hady. Registered W. Bromwich June 1842 Vol. 18 Page 657, should you decide to purchase the marriage cert. By the way there is a possibility that the certificate may not contain the full home address. It could just state Wandsworth, Staffs. or Birmingham or where ever they resided at the time of marriage. Have you found them on the census returns?

Thank you for your help.

This is quite complicated so I hope you will bear with me.

I am researching the Adey family - in particular John Adey (Glass cutter) born c 1822 and his wife Sarah Jennings/Jennens.

Children - James (born 1843), Harriet (born 1845 died 1846), Eliza born 1846), Maria (born 1846) , Thomas (born 1850), Mary (born 1852) and William (born 1857). I have birth certificates for Mary and William confirming parentage and am awaiting certificates for Thomas and Maria.

1851 I have John Adey living in Kenion (Kenyon) St with ?wife Jane and children James, Eliza and Thomas. I haven't found Maria Adey on 1851 census and I cannot find Sarah Adey (Jennings/Jennens).

1858 Sarah Adey (Jennings/Jennens) died aged 36 - address Kenion Street - wife of John Adey Glass cutter. I have her death certificate.

1861 John Adey and Jane now living in Manchester with children Thomas and Mary.
1861 James Adey and Maria (Johns parents) living in Kenion Street with grandchildren - Maria, John and William.

1871 John Adey and Jane in Manchester.

I do have further census information and marriages etc for some of the children of John and Sarah.

However, I until I saw the 1842 marriage at St Marys, Handsworth I had Sarahs parents as James Jennings and Ester - living in Mount Street in 1841 - his occupation ?Milk ?? and in 1851 still living in Mount Street - occupation Cow Keeper.

I have now found a marriage - 28th October 1844 at All Saints - Sarah Jennings to Joseph Taylor. She is a spinster, full age, living in Mount Street, father - James Jennings, occupation Cow Keeper.

I was hoping the marriage at St Marys (John Kady to Sarah Jennings) may reveal further information in order to rule out/confirm who Sarahs father is.

I am sorry if this information is confusing but it is confusing me also.

William.

So do you think John Kady should be John Adey?
Are you also suggesting John "moved in" with Jane and left Sarsh?
I'm a bit confused as well.

So do you think John Kady should be John Adey?
Are you also suggesting John "moved in" with Jane and left Sarsh?
I'm a bit confused as well.
Yes Janice I think the marriage record refers to John Adey - his occupation, name of father fit in as does the name of his bride.

The other mystery is who is Jane on the 1851 census - I did wonder if Sarahs middle name was Jane, and that was the name she was known by but as Sarah died in 1858 - then Jane pops up again with John in 1861 and 1871.

If John did "move in with Jane" and left Sarah, then he went back to Sarah in 1852 and 1857 as Sarah is named as Mother of Mary and William.

William.

Jane Adey died in Manchester 1875 age 44.
There is a family tree ( a bit scrappy) but it says that John Adey b 1831 Birmingham married Jane in 1859, the year after Sarah died,
I can find John ADDY married Jane Backhouse, Dewsbury Yorkshire in 1859, she says she was born in yorkshire on census entries.

Thank you Alberta I have the death for Jane in Manchester, but not the marriage in 1859. I will look into that.

There are quite a few member trees on Ancestry with Sarah being the mother of the said children, and also member trees showing Jane as their Mother (which is actually incorrect for at least Mary and William).

William

Jane Adey died in Manchester 1875 age 44.
There is a family tree ( a bit scrappy) but it says that John Adey b 1831 Birmingham married Jane in 1859, the year after Sarah died,
I can find John ADDY married Jane Backhouse, Dewsbury Yorkshire in 1859, she says she was born in yorkshire on census entries.
Alberta I have just checked that marriage on Ancestry and the parish record shows she married James Wood.
Thank you for looking.

William.

Do you know that Sarah's father was called James, because there are other Sarah Jennings baptised around the same time.

No I dont know for sure the name of Sarahs father. I initially thought her parents were James and Ester (as per 1841 census).

Then when when I found the marriage for St Marys, 1842 it gives fathers name as Thomas - occupation Caster.

I suggested this to someone I am connected to by DNA but they said it was probably a mistake - hence my post asking if the registers are available online to view as I am looking for an address or any clue as to her parents.

I think I may have to order the certificate.

William.

There is a Sarah Jennings born 5 Jul 1821, baptised 8 Jan 1822 St Phillip's, daughter of Thomas & Sarah.

There is a Thomas Jennings living in Pope St, who is a journeyman brass caster. He is with 3 children, no Sarah but there is a least one Sarah Jennings of the right age who is a servant in another household and there could be others.

Thank you for that information.

I will look into those possibilities and also send for the marriage certificate for St Marys, Handsworth.

Sorry but I have another question, does anyone know would I need to order the certificate from Birmingham or elsewhere and previously Handsworth was not part of Birmingham.

William.

Thank you for that information.

I will look into those possibilities and also send for the marriage certificate for St Marys, Handsworth.

Sorry but I have another question, does anyone know would I need to order the certificate from Birmingham or elsewhere and previously Handsworth was not part of Birmingham.

William.
hi william if you are going to order it online from the GRO (which is cheaper) then it does not matter

lyn

Thank you Lyn. It is quite some time since I have ordered certificates from anywhere other than the GRO (hence my last question) as more recently I request birth and death documentation in PDF format which is somewhat cheaper, but unfortunately that is not an option with GRO for marriage certificates.

William

Thank you Lyn. It is quite some time since I have ordered certificates from anywhere other than the GRO (hence my last question) as more recently I request birth and death documentation in PDF format which is somewhat cheaper, but unfortunately that is not an option with GRO for marriage certificates.

William
understand william but its still cheaper to order a paper copy marriage cert from GRO than it is to order from a register office...hope you will keep us informed

lyn

Thank you Lyn. Apparently GRO and Birmingham Registry both charge £11 for certificates but whilst there is quite a long backlog (several weeks wait in fact) from Birmingham, GRO will send out after 4 days.

Will you keep you updated.

William.

Thank you Lyn. Apparently GRO and Birmingham Registry both charge £11 for certificates but whilst there is quite a long backlog (several weeks wait in fact) from Birmingham, GRO will send out after 4 days.

Will you keep you updated.

William.
yes i agree william at the min the register offices are snowed under so the GRO is the fastest option...hope to hear soon what your findings are..oh did hear some time ago that the register office does have an option for delivery in a couple of days but at a premium of about £38 not sure though if this still applies

lyn

Just to update those that were following my post.

I have today received the marriage certificate for Sarah Jennings and John Hady(Kady/Adey).

April 10 1842 Sarah Jennings - Minor - spinster. Residence at the time of marriage - Handsworth.
Father - Thomas Jennings - Caster.

So unfortunately with so very little information with regards residence (suemailings you did post that this may be the case) then I am no further forward in trying to ascertain Sarahs parentage.

William.

So, as her father's name is Thomas then the Thomas & Sarah I mentioned in post #14 are a possibility.

Yes thank you, a possibility. I have been doing my homework/research on that particular family. Though nothing definitive at the moment.

William.

Back