• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

St Mary's Parish Church Moseley.

TheRealMe

Brummie babby
I am looking for some help if anyone can do so, it would be appreciated.

I am trying to locate a grave and was hoping someone may have a map showing the layout with grave numbers and sections in St Mary's Parish Church Moseley.

I have visited the church and thier map shows graves in each row numbered as starting at one and ending in forty two etc, each row on their map has identical numbering, meaning every row starts at number one. I purchased the memorial inscriptions and have the inscription on the headstone and a layout map showing sections but not grave numbers.

I also contacted the church who were very helpful but even they cannot locate the grave I am looking for, only 2 sections have grave numbers that go up to and above the number I am looking for and neither of this sections are the area that matches the grave number. The Church confirmed I have the correct grave number but even they are stumped.

Any help/ advice would be greatly appreciated.

Ron

Are the gravestones numbered like the ones in council cemeteries are?
How far back are we talking with the date?
Sorry for all the questions.

Hi Janice, many thanks for the reply. Some graves are numbered on the stone but many are not they just have stone mason details. The Grave I am looking for was first used in 1894, however, it was opened and used in 1968 another member of the same family was buried then and the headstone was there when the memorial inscriptions were recorded in the 1980’s

Ron

Is it possible, using church records, to check grave numbers of burials made around the same date. That might be a check to see if your grave number fits the numbering. Can those graves be located?

Their numbers match what I have, but their maps show the grave numbering in rows from 1 up to 44, there is even a map within the grounds that shows numbering 1 to 44 in rows, there records show a grave number that matched what I have already, however, the numbering on the maps does not go up that high. Also the graves in the area where my grave is located, I cannot find any number on the graves, I do have the memorial inscription and the person buried in 1968 is mentioned on the headstone so I know it was there in 1968 and also later when they did the graveyard survey.

St Marys graveyard Moseley has undergone a couple of significant makeovers in recent years. I would say it would be completely unrecognisable now. I know lots of grave markers were buried and moved and uncovered and moved and paths and steps built over graves etc.

Good luck with your search

Back