• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

St Mary's Cof E School, Avenue Rd, Aston

spooner

master brummie
Does anyone have any information or pictures of this school?
My grandfather attended there in the early 1900s, he left at the age of 14 in 1910.

Spooner:)

St. Marys C of E Primary School, Aston

Does anyone recognise anybody on this picture taken in 1953-4? I am top left (back row) next to the headmaster, Mr Tunnicliffe. Miss Price is the teacher at the other end. I have the names of many of the children from the memory of Michael Tabor and myself (Mikes on the front row RHS on the ground).

Re: St. Marys C of E Primary School, Aston

Is this St. Mary's Primary on Avenue Road, Whitehouse Street? If so I am looking for photos also. I don't recognise you because I only started in 1955. Do you have any other photos of between 1955 and 1961.

Shirley Baird (then Forrester).

Did you get any answers asking for information on this school?

I am also looking for information. I was there from 1955 to 1961 and am looking for photos or anything from those years.

Shirley

Information about St. Mary's C of E Primary, Avenue Road and Whitehouse Street, Aston

I attended this school from 1955 to 1961, does anyone have any info or photos about this school??

Shirley Forrester

To Dave, Bath, St Mary's Aston was my only school, I started there in 1937,and left, aged 14 in 1946, I was evacuated with other children from the school to Leamington Spa, and lived there for a while with Mr. Lewis (one of the teachers) and his wife, Mr Weston was the 'Head Master' in my day.

Last edited:
Hi Don,
The set-up muust have beeen different in those days to take you through to senior school level.
Ray Barratt posted a picture recently showing some of the school in Avenue Road. It's the only picture I've come across showing some of the building apart from my own which shows some of the inner building.

Hi: Here is the basic British History of St, Mary's, Avenue Road, which my Mother's Mother attended.
ST. MARY'S (ASTON BROOK) C. OF E. PRIMARY SCHOOL, Whitehouse Street and Avenue Road. St. Mary's Aston Brook (Church) Sch. opened 1860 in a leasehold schoolroom in Park Lane with 1 mistress. Fees 2d.–2½d. Received annual grants from 1866. A.a. 1866: 86. G and I dept. under a mistress opened 1868 in new building adjoining church in Avenue Rd., comprising schoolroom and classroom (accom. 209) and erected with state aid. Fees 2d.–6d. B dept. then said to be ¼ mile away,(22) presumably in original building.(1) 2 schoolrooms etc. added 1872; the B dept. was presumably included in the main building under this enlargement. Altered 1894. New I dept. in Whitehouse St., accom. 400, at the end of the playground, built 1899.(21, 29) By 1899 B and G depts. were united. (1) Fees in M dept. retained until 1903.(21) Became a controlled sch. 1948.(28) Reorganized 1949 for JM, I, and 2 depts. united 1953.(21) Accom. 1961: 7 classrooms, 2 halls.(28)

This is the Friends Reunited link which Dave Bath has already posted his class photo on: St Mary's CofE

(Whitehouse Street/Avenue Road, Aston, Birmingham)

The setup at S Mary's in the 1930's was certainly different to schooling today, you started in the 'Infants School', in the Baby Class! I've lots of memories of this, the Whitehouse Street side of the schools, but across the tarmacked playground was the senior school, or the 'Big School'..... I could go on for ages!

Re: Information about St. Mary's C of E Primary, Avenue Road and Whitehouse Street, A

I attended this school from 1955 to 1961, does anyone have any info or photos about this school??

Shirley Forrester
hi shirley
i am also looking for photos i was there same time as you but dont recognise your name /names i can remember are /allan griffiths [me] james griffiths [bro]christine griffiths[sis]susan lane david rutherford i dont know if tou remember any of these?did you get any photos off anyone? sorry this is late i only joined today have a good one allan

Photo,s,if anyone has any would be wonderful.I started there after moving from Great Russel Street to Hubert Street,in January 1961 i think it was,may have been a year or two later though,but sadly there is no one left in my family old enough/able to remember.
Aston Villa played their first football game against Aston Brook St Mary,s,one half football,one rugby football.on St Mary,s playground.
I played for the school football team,colours,claret and blue of course.Happy days.
jd1951,some of the names you mention vaguely ring a bell,(christine griffiths[sis]susan lane david rutherford ),these in particular.

To Dave Bath, on your school photograph my young 'stepsister', Maureen Hazel is fourth from the right (from Miss Price). I will see if she remembers the names of any other children on the photo and report back, keep ckecking. Also some of the children I attended with, I would like to hear from, the names I remember -- Alan Fisher, Charlie Long, Trevor Smith, Reg Hughes, Jimmy Rainey, Joan Allwood, Mary Robinson, Edna Smith. Don Clive

Hi Don,
Well, well, another pupil pops up! Great! How is Maureen? She was always a quiet girl that I can remember. Did she marry and have kids? Is she still in touch with any of her old school friends? Please tell her I have contact with Michael Taber, Raymond Hawkins and John Weare's sister. Has she any photos of St Mary's? Would love to hear from her (through you I suppose). You can send me an IM if you prefer and you can get my email address. I look forward to hearing from you (both of you!).

Don click on your name and a box will come up click on instant message then you can send a private message to Dave.

Can someone tell me why I'm finding "Blockouts" on many items I lookat, it's only occured the last couple of days? Don Clive

Hi I am Christine Griffiths , my brothers Allan and Jimmy and sister Susan and I all went to St Marys we lived in Miller St at the back of Broadhurst the butchers. I also remeber Susan Lane she is now a headmistress of a school. David Rutherford was Christine Rutherfords brother. Linda Franklin also went to this school as did Philomena Flynn and Linda James.

Would be interesting to know who you are ??

Hi I am Christine Griffiths , my brothers Allan and Jimmy and sister Susan and I all went to St Marys we lived in Miller St at the back of Broadhurst the butchers. I also remeber Susan Lane she is now a headmistress of a school. David Rutherford was Christine Rutherfords brother. Linda Franklin also went to this school as did Philomena Flynn and Linda James.

Would be interesting to know who you are ??

See my post no.13,i remember most of the names you mention,yours and Susans too,did Linda James have a brother?,Robert perhaps.
My name is Roderick Kennedy,Happy Easter.

Hi Christine, I'm Don Clive.....Born & bred in Aston Brook Street (the 'lower' half....No29) attended St Mary's....1936 -1946 now live in Tamworth, aged 81! Can I be of help??? Don.

Hi I am Christine Griffiths , my brothers Allan and Jimmy and sister Susan and I all went to St Marys we lived in Miller St at the back of Broadhurst the butchers. I also remeber Susan Lane she is now a headmistress of a school. David Rutherford was Christine Rutherfords brother. Linda Franklin also went to this school as did Philomena Flynn and Linda James. Would be interesting to know who you are ??

Hi Christine,
Who am I? I often wonder! I was born in 1944 and lived at 2 back of 26 Bracebridge Street. I don't recognise your name or the other names you mention so I suspect we are not in the same age group. I was at St. Mary's Infant & Junior from 1949 to 1955. That's who I am. If you have any photos of the school I would be very happy to see them. Dave.

Don Clive, sorry we have lost touch. Entirely my fault. Hope you & Maureen & families are well.

Dave you are in the age range of my friend so will pass this on to her. She has had a stroke and finds it difficult to now use her computer. Jean.

Hi oldroddy yes Linda did have a brother called Robert.
Im sorry I dont recognise your name I was at St marys from 1957 to 1963 The head teacher was Mr Phillips who later became head of Kings Rise school in Kingstanding. I recall Mrs Bodger my first teacher Ms Boyd and Ms Honneysett. Mr Lane and Ms Harry two welsh teachers. I would love to see some pictures of the school ......

Re: St. Marys C of E Primary School, Aston

Does anyone recognise anybody on this picture taken in 1953-4? I am top left (back row) next to the headmaster, Mr Tunnicliffe. Miss Price is the teacher at the other end. I have the names of many of the children from the memory of Michael Tabor and myself (Mikes on the front row RHS on the ground).

Hi
I was at St Mary's June Ashurst so was my cousin Linda Garrittley. I have recently joined the forum and find it interesting, but i cannot access any photos. An ideas please. Thanks

See my post no.13,i remember most of the names you mention,yours and Susans too,did Linda James have a brother?,Robert perhaps.

Hi Roderick, My name is David Holmes i was at the school the same time as you,i remember quite a few names, Robert Peacock,Robert James,jimmy and Billy Hallahan, Tony Chick, Alan Smith, Michael Broadmore, Stephen Eccles. John Hannah. Some of the girls i remember were Teresa Lyndon, Joan Powell.Susan Griffiths.
I have a picture somewhere of our cricket team. i will have to dig it out

10994447_10204940465944810_2066742366678175936_n.jpg
10427341_10204591990855678_7026320114150137948_n.jpg
A couple of photo's ;my friend Val asked me to put on of the school.

Hello Roderick, I am Linda James' brother and you are right my name is Robert, although back then I was called Bobby by most people, curly blonde hair. We lived at 64 Avenue road, right opposite Powell and Hammers, just down from Haylings shop. Glad to know you're still going strong Roderick. I remember Christine Griffiths well and some of the other names mentioned. Do you remember the Hogan brothers, Christopher and Richard? Another name that comes to mind if I recall correctly was Desmond Paul. I attended St Mary's from 1959 to 1964. I too am a teacher these days, coming up for retirement. I teach music at a school in Oldbury.

Last edited:
Back