• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

St Marys Church Handsworth

Hi Astoness, thank you for the photos - my gg.grandparents were married there in 1818 so it was interesting to see where they stood at the altar,
Sheri

hi sheri...i am really pleased that the pics mean so much to so many of you.....it certainly looks a lovely church....

astoness:):):)

Lynn, I too thank you for posting the photos my g.g. grandparents Mary and John Raybould married there 19th October 1834, it has been on my list of places to visit for ages.

hi all..was passing by st marys and took a few pics yesterday...batteries were running low and this small camera is not that good on quality so i will not be using it again....have to take the heavy duty one in future...:rolleyes::rolleyes:

lyn

this is the little shop opposite the church where as kid swe used to buy our pop and crisps to take into the park...interesting painted sign on the side of the building....happy days....

lyn:)

Smashing photo's Lyn. I also had family in the area and marriages at St Mary's.:)

thanks both...funny how as a child i never noticed the church...there again i think a lot of us wished we had taken more notice but we were all to busy having a good time and only noticed the sweet shops....:D

As I said before, I grew up in Putney Road Handsworth, went to St. Mary's C of E School in Church Hill Road and was taken from there to St. Mary's every Wednesday for a service. I was also baptised at St. Marys (still have my certificate somewhere). I grew up in Putney Road Handsworth, and used that sweet shop a lot coz I used to wait for my dad to come home from work at the bus stop outside the church. I can still remember when the "Gold Flake" sign was bright yellow! I'm amazed to see it still there - thankyou Lyn.

charlie..those painted signs are quite hard to come by although they are still about...maybe you could post us a pic of your cert..would love to see it....

lyn:):):)

I Have pics of the church my mom and dad married there in 1931 Molly and Jeff Bowen will try and scan them and attack
Colin

Can anyone tell me the exact location of St Marys Church. Which Road and which part of Handsworth?

It's on the Hamstead Road, next to Handsworth Park. Hamstead Road runs off Soho Hill and continues up to Handsworth Wood.
Hope this helps.

It's on the Hamstead Road, next to Handsworth Park. Hamstead Road runs off Soho Hill and continues up to Handsworth Wood.
Hope this helps.
Thanks Charlie for the info. I know the church, but wasn't sure of its name. My gt grandparents were married there in 1865.

Does anyone know if the burial records for St Mary's are available online? Otherwise are they held in the Reference Library?
Thanks
DJRVST

Came across these two pictures of St Mary's Handsworth:
(1) Watercolour in V&A museum
(2) Line drawing from Old & New Birmingham (Dent, 1880)

Attachments

• st-marys-handsworth-3[1].jpg
    st-marys-handsworth-3[1].jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 5
  • st mary.JPG
    st mary.JPG
    93.5 KB · Views: 4
Three images of the church. The first 1865 and the second c.1915. No date for the third. Viv.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

This is "Hay-making, Handsworth" by William Ellis in 1859. So very hard to imagine this scene today with the church in the far distance. Viv.

image.jpeg

The rural Handsworth scene was a popular one; this painting by JJHughes captures "Haytime, Grove Farm Handsworth". Sorry, no date for this one. Viv.

image.jpeg

Hello, I was hoping someone could help me? My x5 Grandfather Thomas Sumner was buried in St Marys Church Handsworth in 1846. I have been twice this week to try and locate the grave but with no luck as it is so overgrown. Can anyone point me in a direction i can go that may help? Such as a plot number or map?

Thank you for any info! Kind Regards, Joe Stokes.

will do moss and yes thanks all good here..weather not so good this weekend but it is the middle of october:rolleyes:

lyn
Edit ..............Trying to describe a Victorian wedding at St Mary's Handsworth on Tuesday 11 Oct 1887.
I gather it would have been a cool day with indications of rain. But apart from that I have no mental image with which to describe for my readers in Australia, what the bridal party might have expected that day.
Victoria Web has good ideas of what they may have worn, but what about the horse and carriage and the weather?
Any clues to help my writing, appreciated.
David :):sun:

Last edited by a moderator:
Said I’ve moved your post to this thread. Looking through it again, there must be lots of material for you to consider on here. Viv.

My lovely friend got married here, so did her parents. I used to go bell ringing at this church as well. Much fun was had. Happy memories.

Back