• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

St Marys Church Handsworth

J

Jeoffry

Does anyone have any pictures of St Marys Church Handsworth. I have searched this site but haven't found anthing.Have googled but nothing yet.My ancestors were married there in 1834 and i would like to insert a photograph into the family tree.

Kaz thank you very much for that and so quickly.I was obviously not looking in t he right places.

I sometimes think it's easier to look for someone else than it is to do my own research:)

St. Mary's Handsworth

Attachments

• Handsworth St Mary's c1890 .jpg
    Handsworth St Mary's c1890 .jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 10
Last edited by a moderator:
I have just been onto a..... St Mary's Churchyard Handsworth site,.... and have found this site very interesting and the occupants of the graves even more so. GOOGLE......SPAGHETTI GAZETTI NORTH ARDEN LOCAL HISTORY SOCIETY...Cat

Yes Rupert they are, along with William Murdoch (GAS LIGHTING) ALSO THE FORGER William Booth of Booths Farm, Great Barr who was tried twice, hung twice, and buried three times:036:.
IT'S A SUPER SITE OVERFLOWING WITH INFORMATION...Cat

cat..booths farm is just another building in a long line of regrets by me...many moons ago i lived only a few mins walk from it...wished i had taken a look at it then....:( i beleive only the foundations now remain....

lyn:)

Lyn, Have you seen The Phillis Nicklin slides what a clever Lady 1950s/60s. I go back once in awhile to have another look, today i realised that unbeknown to her she had also taken photographs of the trades in and around Birmingham which we will never see again... Cat. Looking forwards to Rogers visit i have got his room ready.lol

cat..funny you should say that as i was on it earlier...and refer to it from time to time....excellent pics....i wonder if she ever realised how invaluable her pics would turn out to be....

rog is just packing his case.....eta...midnight tonight...:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

lyn

hi beryl...in the handsworth book i have there are 5 pics of st marys including one dated 1877 and also an inside shot...you may already have these..but if not would you like me to scan them tomorrow and post them....

lyn:)

Paul. I think you are describing St Michael's church (consecrated 1855). St Mary's is the original parish church dating back to the 1100s. It stands by the Hamstead Road gate of Handsworth Park, unsurprisingly facing Church Road, and has impressive memorial to Boulton, Murdock and Watt, to mention only a few. Try the link here to the Handsworth site, or digital handsworth, run by the public library for further details.
Peter

Thanks Astonees i would love any pictures you have .

St Mary's Church lies atop of Churchill and Hampstead Rds next to Handsworth park -

I attentended the church many many times growing up because I went to St Mary's School corner of Churchill Rd and Maxwell Avenue - All very happy memories

heres a few pics of st marys church....i must admit after reading about it i did not know that it is the final resting place of boulton..watt and murdock and was dubbed the westminster abbey of the idustrial revolution....

astoness:)

Attachments

• Handsworth  St Mary's 1961.jpg
    Handsworth St Mary's 1961.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 7
  • Handsworth Hamstead Rd St Mary's (2).JPG
    Handsworth Hamstead Rd St Mary's (2).JPG
    125.6 KB · Views: 7
  • handsworth_st_mary.jpg
    handsworth_st_mary.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 8
  • st mary's interior painting.jpg
    st mary's interior painting.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 8
  • St-Marys-Church.jpg
    St-Marys-Church.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 8
A fitting place to rest for the mainstays of the industrial revolution; in the area where they toiled. No pomp and circumsatnce for them...heaven forbid. I read here recently (think it was a Wendy post) that the church and its grounds were very run down and neglected. If this is the case, what a blotch on the authorities. The historical import of this area is second to none and tourism alone is of great value if marketed to advantage.

Thank you Astoness for the pics - find they are most interesting Seeing again inside the church brings back many memories

On the north wall of the sanctuary is a marble bust of Matthew Boulton and on the wall opposite, is a stone bust of William Murdoch.

James Watt was buried in the grounds of St. Mary's, but when the church was expanded his tomb was placed inside the church. south of the sanctuary, in a somber place built especially for it — The James Watt Memorial Chapel — is a marble statue of Watt. . . .

Last edited by a moderator:
my pleasure beryl...i must admit that until recently i have not shown much of an interest in churches....and realy they are history in their own right....i now want to visit st marys and st michaels and will be making some effort to do so this year.....thank you also for your info...

astoness:)

Back