• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

St Mary's church Aston

I've only just found this thread. My brother, the former Rev M H Bryant, sometimes attended St Mary's when he was at home from university, before he was ordained. It was very high church, and so was he. He became friendly with an elderly minister, but not I think the parish priest at the time (who I believe was Father Hobson). This old priest took to calling at our house at all times of day and night - he was very frail in all respects, and eventually my dad had to have 'a word' with him. As far as I can remember he lived on church property somewhere, but obviously wasn't looking after himself properly. I only ever went into St Mary's once, and thought it a rather dim and dreary place. I also knew the organist, the late Don Page, who was a member of Erdington Operatic Society.

Big Gee

'Big Gee', As I've stated earlier in this thread, I was a choirboy at St Marys, Aston Brook from 1940 to 1954, the Vicars during that time were the Rev Rhys and the Rev Hobson, who enjoyed the nickname of 'Hobbie', prior to him arriving from St Georges churh Wolverhampton in about 1943, (my younger sister was born in that year and I can remember him Christening her) it was a 'dim and dreary place' mainly because it suffered bomb damage in the early war year raids, but when he was installed, to coin a phrase, he moved 'Heaven and Earth' to get the compensation all churches that suffered bomb damage were entitled to, and by the end of the war the church interior was brilliant!. I also attended St Mary's School from 1937 to 1946, starting work at 14. Don Clive.

so glad you said the church looked good then, because when i was at the school it was lovely.My parents wedding fotos are taken outside the church and look good.St Marys will always be special to me.I had my mom and dads wedding foto reframed and kept the photographers heading on the original card put on the new foto.
Pauline.
My parents were married in 1938.

Pauline, Was the photographer "Purcell and Betts" ?, their shop was on Aston Road, just the other side of Avenue Road, on the same side as the Church. They were more or less the regular photograhers of weddings at St Mary's. I see you still live in Aston, I was 'born and bred' in the 'bottom end of Aston Brook Street, I think it's still there.

I spoke to my brother Michael Bryant about St Mary's, and he's told me that he was organist and choirmaster there between 1956 - 59, when the vicar was Father Henley, who died in 1965. His replacement was a Father Fowlds, who my brother thinks was instructed by the Diocese to close down the parish so the C of E could sell the land for the construction of the Aston Expressway. My brother things it may have been Father Fowlds who turned up at our house and annoyed my dad. The parish was closed down in about 1968.

Other names my brother mentioned in connection with St Mary's are: Vincent (another organist); White; Huntley; Stratton; Coppen; Wylie; Peacock; Pearson.

Hope this helps.

Big Gee

The names of the two Vicars you mentioned 'strike a bell', Father Henley did succeed Fr Hobson and now you have mentioned his name, fr Fowlds, although I never met him is or was reputed to have been responsible for the Churches closure, in spite of there being a well signed petition against it, the site was not in the route for the Expressway, the vicarage was situated in Sutton street. You mention the name Huntley, there was a Mr Huntley there in my time, he was an Alter server, and a Mr Stratton was the Organist for a good many years, although Father Hobson was the choirmaster, a job usually carried out by the organist. Another name your brother mentions is Frank White, I remember him well. Don Clive

Hello Don,

just had another e-mail from my brother, who says that the Diocese was going to close the church whatever, public support notwithstanding. He also says that the place was vandalised and arsoned. The organ was destroyed by arsonists, apparently it was one of the best instruments of its type anywhere. A crucifix (containing bullet-holes inflicted by vandals) was given to St Albans Conybere Street (my brother's last parish before he left the Church), and the high altar to All Souls Witton, now also defunct (but still standing). Fred Huntley evidently died in a house fire.

If you want, I can put you in touch with my brother - I'm sure you'd have plenty to discuss. PM me.

Big Gee

Hello Dave
i know the name Roy Whitmore very well also the twins, where did you go after St Marys. Can you jog my memory about Roy W. Pauline
Hi Pauline,
Roy was a small lad. We left St. Marys in 1955 for Charles Arthur Street (Nechells Park). When we left in 1959 Roy went for a dirty job, metal polishing, which paid good money. I began an apprenticeship at Salisbury Transmissions, Witton. We used to meet up in the snooker hall at Aston Cross but I stopped going eventually and I haven't seen or heard of him since.
View attachment 60145
Roy is 5th from the left on front row seated. I would love to know what happened to him after ±1960.

Hi lm sorry l may not have answered your question,my only excuse is l was not good with computers then,not brill now but better, yes the name is Purcell and betts so l kept the heading and it looks good.I think Brummies are still proud to be who we are.My old doctors was on the corner of aston brook street and aston road the building is still there and there is now a mobile home park on the corner of Hubert st [my home ].

Hi Pauline,
A very clever lad named John Weare lived above the doctors house around 1955/56. He was another friend of mine from St. Mary's Junior School, tall and wiry with red hair. He is now a nuclear physicist - that's how clever he is. Roger Hammond - same class - also lived in Hubert Street. We were all around 10/11 at that time. Did you know John or Roger?

Hi Dave I knew Roger Hammond very well just for the record he lived in Chester street not Hubert st I lived in Hubert st but was born in chester street.
All the best Dave.

Re: St Mary's church Aston/Aston Brook St/Hubert St/Chester Street etc;

Hi Dave I knew Roger Hammond very well just for the record he lived in Chester street not Hubert st I lived in Hubert st but was born in chester street.
All the best Dave.

Hi to Dave in South Africa, not contacted for a while, also welcome to Pauline. I was born & bred in Aston Brook Street, circa 1932 at No 29, next door to 'Mrs Londons' shop! our family doctor at the top of the street was 'Dr Leslie', had many friends in Hubert Street and Chester Street, so if your anywhere near my age we may have met. Went to St Mary's school....1937/1946 ?? regular at St Marys Church until it was demolished.....(shame)....Hope you remember me Dave....Sister Maureen wishes to be remembered to you.....Don Clive

Hi Pauline,
I would have sworn Roger lived in Hubert St. Another classmate you might have known lived in Chester St, Richard Hawkins. The 3 of us used to play in Rudders & Paynes woodyard. Roger broke his leg jumping from 1 stack to another. I'm guessing you are around my age, 70 last Sunday.

Hi Don,
Nice to know you are still around. Regards to Maureen

Hi Dave, belated 'Happy Birthday'!! Maureen was 70 last October, so some of your classmates are still around.....Pauline, do you remember my younger sister Maureen Hazel as she was then, I can assume the photograph Dave posted was of his classmates at school including Mr Tunniclife the headmaster standing on the left, Maureen is in the centre, if I remember correctly. Don Clive (Maureen is my step-sister)

Hi Don a lot of my friends lived in aston brook street,names that might ring a bell Whitcombs do you remember them,my older brother was called Alan Banner does that jog any bells[always fighting] One thing l can't workout is all the rubble on the corner of Hubert street/Aston Brook street do you know where it came from? all the ordnance survey maps l have looked at, there didn't seem to have ever been any residential properties built there,other than what l first thought was a bomb site then the garage was built,l do remember your Sisters name but can't put a face to it yet.
All the best
Pauline

Hi Dave
Roger lived just as you turned into chester street,l would think his house backed onto Rudders&Paynes do you remember the fire Don/Dave l got dragged out of bed by a fireman the road was full of people l was terrified l had been trying to tell mom and dad there was a fire but did anyone listen l was told to go to bed.
I will be 70 in December OMG were has the time gone.
Pauline.

Hi Pauline
It was a different situation along the Lichfield road up Cromwell terrace next to Thompsons because that night of there fire
We seen the blazes and an whole rake of us kids ran to tell our parents that's a big fire along the rd. As we thought
We ran down the terrace and charged a.long the Lichfield road and starring across to the direction of the fire
And when we got to the last road on the oppersite side which was Catherine street right at the bottom of that street we seen the flames
And the bellowing of smoke reaching for the skyies we was followed along with a couple of senior people meaning our parents
Whom realised and spouted to each other its rudders and Paynes then we started to shout to other kids its rudder and Paynes on fire
To some of the kids whom never came running along with us then we seen the pictures the next day in the paper best wishes as to Alan,,

I was wondering if someone could help me with some information about St Mary's Church if known, My Uncle was intered at St Mary's Church in January 1937, he was only 6 months old at the time of his passing in late December 1936, My Mom was born two years later in 1939 and her sister was born in 1944 and her parents (My Grandparents) never told my Mom or her sister they had a brother who passed away until later in their lives, my Mom's parents never spoke of these tragic events again, so they never knew much about their brother until my Grandparents had passed themselves from documents like Birth and Death certificates and an Interment card written on it was the date of 30th January 1937 at St Mary's Church, Aston Brook Parish, what we don't know is whether he was buried at St Mary's Church, we are not sure even if St Mary's had a cemetary, My Mom and her sister can not locate their late brother's resting place anywhere as St Mary's was demolished in 1972 plus it was heavily damaged during World War 2 and records were lost or damaged. My Grandparents lived in Yates Street with family for awhile after getting Married in 1934 before eventually moving to Acocks Green in the late 1937 before my Mom was born. Hope someone can help with any information regarding St Mary's at Aston

hi naughty71 i would have thought there were no burials at this church but if you read post 19 the poster says that there was a small graveyard with graves and the interment card you have does suggest that your uncle was buried at this st marys church so i would have thought that when the church was demolished all the bodies would have been removed and re buried somewhere else possibly witton... key hill or warstone lane cemetaries...not sure who you should contact to find out for sure but maybe other members could suggest something

lyn

Back