• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

St Mary's Church Acocks Green

Sian

master brummie
I have a marriage certificate for my husband's parents who were married at The Parish Church of Acocks Green in the County of Birmingham in 1939.

Could anyone tell me if this was St Mary's? and has anyone got a photograph of it please?

Many thanks
Sian

I'm am not a religious person, but as far as I am aware St Mary's has always been the parish church of Acocks Green.

Phil

Replacement - first image of church dated 1905

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Thank you Phil ~ I wonder why it wasn't written on the marriage certificate?

I am most grateful to you and for the photograph too.

Best wishes
Sian

A few more images. The interior view is c1906, the exterior B&W c1914. Sorry, no date for the colour view along Warwick Road. Viv

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    235 KB · Views: 17
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    39 KB · Views: 18
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    19.6 KB · Views: 17
Looking at this thread reminded me that I was Christened here in 1949 on my Fathers 38th Birthday.

Attachments

• Ray.Baptism.jpg
    Ray.Baptism.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 9
Family connections with St. Mary's. Parents married here in 1939, I was christened here end of 1940, I assume before the bomb damage in Dec 1940, at least one uncle attended the church school in Broad Rd. After the war the walls of the nave were raised to reduce the pitch of the roof nb. the different shaped windows that replaced the original roundels in #2 above.
Screenshot (184).png

Last edited:
Back