• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

St Mary's Chapel Whittall Street

Re: st marys chapel loveday st

That's good news lyn!
I wonder if there are any grave maps for St.Mary's so that you know when he was moved? I've only fond a couple of Churches which had them e.g St Nicholas in Kings Norton and Smethwick Old Church.
Some of my family think it's strange to want to know about burials etc. but I enjoy finding where they are, especially if they have a memorial.....most of "mine" don't!
rosie.

If you find the answer Lyn, I would be interested to hear.

Judy

In Corridor 9 of the Catacomb at Warstone Lane are approx. 150 Coffins shown in the Burial Register as - ST MARY’S
Reburial of Box containing remains from St Mary’s, Whittall St., Birmingham.
All Burials occurred during 1952/1953 - No individual names are shown, and the catacombs are not open for Inspection

There are also approx. 36 Burials marked - ST THOMAS’S
Reburial of Box containing unidentified human remains from St Thomas’s, Bath Row, Birmingham. Again Corridor 9 of the Catacombs, 1954/55

Approx. 50 Burial shown ST MARTIN’S - Reburial of Box containing human remains from St Martin’s, Bull Ring, Birmingham. Mostly Corridor 9, some in 6 some in Public Graves.

Approx. 400 Burials shown as ST BARTHOLEMEW’S - Reburial of unidentified human remains from St Bartholomew's Churchyard, Birmingham. In Public Graves - some in the Vaults around the Catacomb, others in unmarked Public Graves.

The bodes removed from the Catacombs in Christ Church, Victoria Square were all individually named and were reburied under as such. The Graveyards above, were obviously unidentifiable.

Hope this helps.

Brian

brian thanks for that info...would you happen to know who would know the names of the people that were re buried at warstone lane cats...

lyn

Lyn - there re no names listed [n the Burial Register - presumably the old area was dug up for foundations, etc, and any remains found were boxed up and reinterred.
This would be the 'usual' practise at the time. It would not have been a Time Team type excavation done a paintbrush and toothpick inch by inch - probably just Bulldozers and Diggers, and sifting out any obvious bones.
Sounds crude - but building work is building work. Almost all 'old' churchyards did exactly the same when they got a bit too full - area's were cleared any any bones found were put in a box, and all buried together in another corner - WW1 battlefields were the exactly the same - Farmers used to plough up bones and shells, leave them in a heap at the edge of the field, although nowadays, they do get a better burial (Bones), and taken away and exploded (Shells).
Bri

Thanks from me too Brian! Now I know where my St. Thomas relatives were re-buried!
rosie.

Are there any photos of st marys apart from the aerial ones and the one taken from the end of sand street it seems odd that it was demolished in 1928 and so few images exist. Any one help.

Are there any there any more photos of st Mary's whittall street other than the Airial ones and the one taken from the end of Sand street, considering the church was demolished in 1928 l find it most peculiar that so few images exist today. Does any one have any.

Thanks Lyn for your interest. The photo you show l think is the one viewed from the end of Sand Street looking over whittall street. It does seem odd that there are few other photos in existence .

Hi all, this church was deconsecreted and the land became Birmingham Councils. They sold it to the hospital who removed as many bodies as they could find. Most went into a mass grave at Witton Cemetery except those with preserved gravestones who got new graves. Body snatchers were rife in the area especially in the 1830's and the curatr of St Marys was found guilty of selling teeth from deceased. I hunted this information down in Birmingham Library as my 4th great grandfather was buried her in 1816. I hope it helpsScreenshot_20240228_221634_Ancestry.jpg

thanks phil..your first thoughts were my first thoughts...in the new year i will have to make some enquiries to try to establish just what happened to those buried at st marys...many thanks phil this info is most helpful

Hi Lyn, I have posted a reply at the bottom that I hope helps. It was a devil to trace down but I hope it helps.

Hi all, this church was deconsecreted and the land became Birmingham Councils. They sold it to the hospital who removed as many bodies as they could find. Most went into a mass grave at Witton Cemetery except those with preserved gravestones who got new graves. Body snatchers were rife in the area especially in the 1830's and the curatr of St Marys was found guilty of selling teeth from deceased. I hunted this information down in Birmingham Library as my 4th great grandfather was buried her in 1816. I hope it helpsView attachment 189501
thanks charles that is very useful information....cheers

lyn

Back