• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

St Mary The Virgin (Acocks Green)

Seems the steeple mentioned at the consecration was never built. My parents were married there in Sept'39. Considerable damage caused in Dec '40 during air raid. I was christened there in 1941,I assume after the emergency repairs to the roof. Originally the clerestory windows along the roof line were round but the oval ones were put in so as to reduce the pitch of the roof and thus the cost of repairs during restoration in late 1940's. I remember going to a garden party in the vicarage garden adjacent to the church just after the war. These gardens were sold off in 1970's to build the houses that are there now.

img098.jpgI found this "artist's impression" of the 167ft steeple. Would have been impressive! Also read a story that after the Dec 1940 air raid the vicar carefully collected up the broken glass from the Burne Jones window that was beyond the altar and deposited the glass for safe keeping with BMAG. Does anyone know if this window was restored when the church was rebuilt after the war?

View attachment 143739I found this "artist's impression" of the 167ft steeple. Would have been impressive! Also read a story that after the Dec 1940 air raid the vicar carefully collected up the broken glass from the Burne Jones window that was beyond the altar and deposited the glass for safe keeping with BMAG. Does anyone know if this window was restored when the church was rebuilt after the war?
Try here:

Back