• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

St Mary’s Church Brougham Street Aston

AllyF

Brummie babby
Hello.

My Great Grandparents were married in St Mary’s RC Church, Brougham Street, Aston - according to their marriage certificate of 1877. They lived in Great King Street and we seem to have a history of being jewellery makers and gun makers.

I can only find a St Mary’s in Harborne... so wondering if the church was demolished or something (wartime?) in Aston and rebuilt in Harborne? Any clues and/or would anyone have any photos of St Mary’s RC Church, Brougham Street, Aston?

Cheers in advance.
Alison

hello alison we do have a section for churches so i am moving this thread to the correct section of the forum...think i can help you with a bit of info about st marys church which i will do later on

lyn

Last edited:
right alison...as you guessed correctly st marys church was hit during ww2 and demolished ..i know that on the marriage cert you have it says it was in brougham st but it actually stood next to st marys convent in hunters road but back in the day it may well have come under brougham st...convent is still there..

brougham st is next to hunters road and st marys convent owned a lot of the ground in that street...here is a photo of st marys church ..all the best hope this is of help to yous-l1600.jpg

lyn

Thank you so much Lyn. That really helps as I am writing this from Oz and suspected it must have been demolished somehow. What a shame it was demolished due to WW2.

you are most welcome ally...i am sure i have a side on shot of st marys church...will have to check my files...if i find it i will post it on this thread for you...if you click on the link below its a street view...the convent is on the left and the house with the blue garage doors is where the church once stood..although i think it stood a little further back rather than actually where the newer house now stands

lyn

Last edited:
you are most welcome ally...i am sure i have a side on shot of st marys church...will have to check my files...if i find it i will post it on this thread for you...if you click on the link below its a street view...the convent is on the left and the house with the blue garage doors is where the church once stood..

lyn
That’s so interesting. Thank you. Finding a lot out about my family. My parent were both 17 when WWII finished. Mum went to Eliot Street Primary, dads parents lived on Perry Common Road, grand parents buried in Erdington Abbey etc... so this is a great forum for finding things out.

Interesting Google link, Lyn, it seems the church must still own the land and house as the metal railings have a cross symbol in them.

you are most welcome ally...i am sure i have a side on shot of st marys church...will have to check my files...if i find it i will post it on this thread for you...if you click on the link below its a street view...the convent is on the left and the house with the blue garage doors is where the church once stood..

lyn
And this is the same building yes? https://www.mercyhandsworth.co.uk/history.html

It seems to be AllyF. The school roof appears to have suffered from blast which does support the comment about the bombing and the debris in the photo.
The first five posts seem to refer to the church, the following ones are, I believe, an Anglican church nearby with a similar name.
This thread has some photos:
A thread about AW Pugin:

Last edited:
It seems to be AllyF. The school roof appears to have suffered from blast which does support the comment about the bombing and the debris in the photo.
The first five posts seem to refer to the church, the following ones are, I believe, an Anglican church nearby with a similar name.
This thread has some photos:
A thread about AW Pugin:
Thank you for that. Absolutely fascinating. I will have to get the book as mum and dad were married in Erdington Abbey (grandparents buried there too) and it seem Pugin designed that too :)

Back