• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

St Martins look up for Louisa Jones 1840

helenguimaraes

proper brummie kid
Hello
I would be extreeeeeemly grateful if someone could look up the following for me:-

Louisa Jones born 1840 - IGI shows a Louisa Jones born 21 Jan 1840 christened 2 March 1840 at St Martins. Her father is William Jones, a tool maker. 1841 census has Louisa, daughter of William Jones, a tool maker and Martha. Her age is 16 months which would tie in with IGI.

Is there any reason why I can't find a birth certificate record for her? I've ordred 3 which are not her!!

I'm after her mother's maiden name and check where they lived - 1841 census says Islington Row.

Thanks, Helen

the record is louisa daughter of william and martha jones b. 21.1.1840 chr. 2.3.1840 living islington row occ. wire drawer

the best guess for a birth certificate i can see is louisa jones 1840 jan-mar west bromwich 18 603

is this one you have already sent for?

Thanks for such a prompt reply!!!!!
Islington Row is where they lived so the record is her's, Thanks a lot!!!!

I requested the West Bromich cert, but the father was not William, so no luck there!!!:(

Hi Helen,

There is a Female Jones (not named) born Birmingham 1840 Jan Mar vol 16 page 366. You could send for this one stating parents names.

All the best
Ann

there is a marriage on the igi of william jones to martha sparkes on
24.7.1825 at st phillips bham which seems to fit with when they had first child and also bham.

someone on ancestry has your family on their family tree. they have marthas maiden name as crawford but have no proof. there is a marriage of william jones to martha crawford but it is 6.11.1821 in oxford!!

Shera - Thank you - the Sparkes Martha looks like a strong possibility which is worth looking into. I am certainly aware of the Crawford Martha, Oxford seems a little far for them to go and get married in. My daughters think it's great that they are related to a Martha Jones!!!!!!:D (being avid Dr Who fans!!!)

Ann B - thank you very much for the Female Jones prompt - I hadn't thought of that one! Will certainly be investigating it further!

Will let you know how it turns out! Thanks again - Helen

I feel like Sherlock Holmes - Martha Jones is a widow in 1851 and in 1861 she has a nephew staying with her called George Spardes. Of course, I couldn't make this out except that her maiden name is Sparkes!!!! So it fits!!

brilliant news that you have now proved the maiden name and got the marriage details. its like doing a jigsaw, just fitting the pieces into the right places. :)

Got the "Female Jones" birth cert today. Father was William Jones a wire drawer and mother was Martha Jones formally Sparkes. Eureka! Thanks ever so much for the "Female" Prompt - it is a very useful research tip.

Thanks again guys!!!

Back