• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

St Martins Church Birmingham

hi pol... not the one above the main door....its the smaller window to the left of the main door....

Thanks Lyn now I know exactly where it will be :)- I didn't realise how big the one over the main door was - that would cost a fortune to have that one done - although I am sure the one that is being done is very, very expensive too.

I think it will be lovely not as good as Polly's though:rolleyes::)!

It is rather special isn't it Wendy :) I still remember how excited I was when Shera found it and you sent me the photos you had taken of it and then seeing it for real was wonderful.

I hope they use traditional colours for this new one - I think they look better than the more modern colours although I am sure it will look look lovely what ever they use. Just think one day, in years to come a relative may get very excited to discover it.

Has anyone any early pictures of St Martins in the Bull Ring. I have many family members married baptised and buried there so would love some images for my family tree. Many thanks:):)

Wendy
don't know if these two drawings and one photo are any use
Mike

bullring_1812.jpg

St_Martins_1835.jpg
St_martins_1875.jpg

Mike you are a star thats just what I wanted thank you very much...x

City Moat Row 1948 .jpg

wend i know this pic is much later than you wanted but i just had to post it....it just has something about it....hope its new to the forum...

st martins church from moat row...nov 1948

lyn

City Bull Ring & Shambles 18c Samuel Lines.jpg Hi Wendy here is another drawing for you dated mid 1700th century before clearance scheme in the mid 1800s which went on to form the Bull Ring.

wend i know this pic is much later than you wanted but i just had to post it....it just has something about it....hope its new to the forum...

st martins church from moat row...nov 1948

lyn

Incredibly atmospheric photo of St Martin's Lyn

Thank you all for the fantastic pictures they really make you realise how much the area has changed.

Lyn I agree with Viv and carolina a very atmospheric photo wonderful thank you.

Hi Wendy here's another one for you

hollins bull ring[1].jpg

(Foot Note) Looking closer I think it's the original of Mike's middle one...

Last edited:
Thanks Chris yes it does look similar to Mike's I love the statue of Lord Nelson in the middle as always. I will save them all thank you.x

Out of curiosity, has Nelson's statue ever been moved ? Just wondered if it's in exactly the same place now as in the early drawings. Be surprised if it's stayed in one place given all the re-building that's gone on over time. Love the all the pictures of this very old part of B'ham. Viv.

I am pretty sure it has been moved to it's present spot but not sure how many times it has been moved.

popped into st martins church today and was told that someone who passed away recently had left left money to the church to have stained glass put into this plain window..good news indeed and work will begin shortly..:)

I was just wondering if anyone has noticed any signs of work starting on the new window? :)

hi pol..i have not been by the church for a while but i do hope the work starts soon..cant wait to see it...

lyn

Back