• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

St Martins Church Birmingham

J

Jeoffry

Does anyone have any photographs of St Martins Church,Birmingham.Ancestors of mine were christened there during the 1830s and i am trying to type up mynotes and would like to put photographs alongside the information.
Jeoffry

Kaz you have done it again and so quickly. Thank you.Dont suppose you can find an old picture can you.I did go into Birmingham last year to take some pictures but it would suit my purposes better if it was an old picture or a sketch.Sorry to be a nuisance.

St. Martin's 1812

Ann

Attachments

• bull ring col[1].jpg
    bull ring col[1].jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 26
Last edited by a moderator:
T o each and everyone of you thank you so much they are all what i am looking for.I hope i may be able to repay you at some point.
Jeoffry

Tonight i requested information on 2 churches but did not expect the response i have received.Thank you all who have contributed.I am forever in your debt.
Jeoffry

Jeoffry,

I'm a historian of cinema and theatre architecture, but frequently I come across photographs other people will be interested in too.

One such website is the Royal Institute of British Architects (www.ribapix.com) Save getting confused with the astronomically long link address, on the home page type in "Birmingham" in the search box (left column) click on the arrow, and go from there. Page 5/15 is the one you want and click on images 12152 and 152153. The year 1820 such get you bang on.

Richie.

I thought this was an interesting photograph. The demolition of St. Martin's November 1872.

Ann

Attachments

• St Martins1872.jpg
    St Martins1872.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 37
Ann i didnt realise st martins had been demolished and rebuilt thank you for enligtening me
jeoffry

Jeoffry,

It is not something that had crossed my mind either. Extract from a book I happen to be reading at the moment.

'There have been at least three churches on this site. The first known church is shown on an ancient map of Warwickshire. The church built by the De Bermingham family survived virtually unchanged until 1690. By this time the soft sandstone, which had been used in the construction of the church, had deteriorated badly. To remedy this the tower and the outside of the church were encased in red brick. By 1872 the church was in a ruinous state. The rector, Dr. Williamson, launched an appeal for funds, and with only half of the £32,000.00 needed, work on the demolition of the old church began.'

Ann

I took this today from the top of the car park in Moor Street by Selfidges.

It was lovely today in the sun!:):):)

Attachments

• st martins.jpg
    st martins.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 15
Wendy, Great picture you took of St Martin's Church and Selfridges today. Nostalgia for the Church, but Selfridges wasn't there when I left Brum. Maybe I will pay a visit sometime in the future! :biggrin:
Anthea:)

Great photo Wendy, we must have been in the same area, I was at the market buying eggs and cheese, it the only place to get tasty mature cheese from.

Mariew, I bought so much it was difficult to carry. I have a shoping trolly bought especially for my visits to the market. Fish, meat, cheese,bacon veg and fruit. It really is brilliant for quality and price!:)

Hello Wendy,

Cracking picture.

What a nice contrast between the old and the new.

I think the opening up of the area around St Martins was one of the best
aspects of the new Bull Ring development.

The planners got something right for once...

regards
Neville..

Yes I am beginning to love it too! My husband is so used to it and loves it. We had a great day at the market called in at the Pen Room and Key Hill Cemetery. Finished off with a Caribbean sandwich from New John Street. I am glad I had a chafferer today!!:):):)

Back