• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

St Martins Church Birmingham

Here's a lovely photo taken inside St Martins Church Yesterday the window is amazing!

Attachments

• martin_int[1].jpg
    martin_int[1].jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 11
that is a splendid window wend...thanks for taking the time to post it...i really must try and get to go into st martins as i have never been...

lyn

Here's a lovely photo taken inside St Martins Church Yesterday the window is amazing!
That is an amazing window Wendy - and I feel very, very proud to say that I have family connections to it!
This is something that I didn't know untill very recently and the only reason I know now, is because a wonderful member on this site told me!
Thank you for posting it.
Polly :)

To be honest Lyn, I'm not sure myself exactly how I am related to this particular person as I have only just been finding out about my family history and I am still trying to piece it together - literally - at the moment I am on the floor with a very big piece of paper and marker pens - but I was amazed to find out that I am a direct ancestor of some of the Ryland family. I feel slightly shocked - I know they were a very important family in Birmingham.

I wonder if Louisa is somewhere in my family tree - I will let you know If I manage to find her. I would be very pleased if she was - what a wonderful woman she sounds!

oh wow polly i do hope you find a definate connection ... louisa was indeed a prominant lady and did a lot of good works...please keep us informed:):) looks like i may have to courtsy when i do get to meet you:D:D and dont be shocked...we come from good stock on this forum..

lyn

No need to curtsey Lyn - wouldn't like you to make a fuss -I will accept a slight bowing of the head instead :D:D

In the course of my family history research I have found several of my ancestors married in St Martins even though they lived in Redditch all their lives. As far as I can work out, they seem to have moved to near St Martins for just long enough to be married there.

For example, Eliza Crow married David Hemming Feb 11 1839. They gave their address as New Street and the certificate states after Banns so they must have lived there for several weeks?

Eliza had had several children, probably by someone else before she married David so maybe she was avoiding someone?

I was wondering if St Martins had a reputation for clandestine marriages?

Helen

popped into st martins church today and was told that someone who passed away recently had left left money to the church to have stained glass put into this plain window..good news indeed and work will begin shortly..:)

Thanks Lyn. What a lovely legacy for someone to leave. It's such a shame a lot of beautiful windows were lost in the blitz! I think the persons name should ber included in the window.

i thought it was a lovely thought wend..maybe the benefactors name will be included...must keep our eyes open...

lyn

That is good news Lyn :) thanks for letting us know. I always find it sad that so many of St Martins windows are plain glass.
I agree Wendy, the name of the person should be included. I am very lucky my family window in St Martins does have the name underneath and the family window in Statford-upon-Avon, Holy Trinity Church has the name and family crest in the glass - it is lovely to think that everyone sees their names everyday and they will not be forgotton.

I wonder when it will be done - we will have to watch that space:)

hi pol...i was told that work will begin very shortly so not to long i hope...

I hope so too - I am really looking forward to seeing it. I wonder if they will feature it on the local news? They should do.

hi pol... not the one above the main door....its the smaller window to the left of the main door....

Back