• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

St Martins Birmingham Look Ups

H

harborne

I can carry out searches of these but it must be borne in mind that not all the pages are legible! Also, any information you have regarding period of time is very important.

Chris

:) Thanks Harbourne, thats real nice of you, you,ve already helped me before, i have a few more, need to sort them out:)

Harborne, do you think you could have a look for Richard Poolton b1799?
I think he was christened at St. Martin's, but I'm not absolutely sure.
Many thanks
Charlie

Hi Charlie, sorry I've searched from 1796 to through to January 1802 and can't find him. Have you tried St Philip's?

Thanks for looking anyway Harborne, I'll trot off to Central Library asap and check out St. Phillips.
Thank you for your trouble, 'preciate it!
Charlie

Charlie I've been firkling around on the LDS site (familysearch.uk) and found these:

17. RICHARD POOLTON - International Genealogical Index / BI
Gender: Male Christening: 02 AUG 1819 Saint Phillips, Birmingham, Warwick, England
18. RICHARD POOLTON - International Genealogical Index / BI
Gender: Male Christening: 28 JUL 1823 Saint Phillips, Birmingham, Warwick, England
19. RICHARD POOLTON - International Genealogical Index / BI
Gender: Male Christening: 12 MAR 1823 Saint Francis And Hill Chapel-Rc, Goosnargh, Lancashire, England
20. RICHARD POOLTON - International Genealogical Index / BI
Gender: Male Marriage: 10 MAY 1824 Edgbaston, Warwick, England
21. RICHARD POOLTON - International Genealogical Index / BI
Gender: Male Marriage: About 28 AUG 1826 Merthyr Tydfil, Glamorgan, Wales
22. RICHARD POOLTON - International Genealogical Index / BI
Gender: Male Christening: 28 DEC 1840 Saint Phillips, Birmingham, Warwick, England
23. Richard Poolton - International Genealogical Index / BI
24. RICHARD POOLTON - International Genealogical Index / BI
Gender: Male Marriage: 17 MAY 1869 Saint Phillips, Birmingham, Warwick, England

The very ones I wanted you to see didn't copy for some reason. Here they are:
14.RICHARD POOLTON - International Genealogical Index / BI
Gender: Male Marriage: 01 AUG 1796 Aston Juxta Birmingham, Warwick, England

15. Richard Poolton - International Genealogical Index / BI

17. RICHARD POOLTON - International Genealogical Index / BI
Gender: Male Christening: 02 AUG 1819 Saint Phillips, Birmingham, Warwick, England

18. RICHARD POOLTON - International Genealogical Index / BI
Gender: Male Christening: 28 JUL 1823 Saint Phillips, Birmingham, Warwick, England

RICHARD POOLTON
Male
Event(s):

Birth:
23 OCT 1817
Christening:
02 AUG 1819
Saint Phillips, Birmingham, Warwick, England
Death:
Burial:

Parents:

Father:
RICHARD POOLTON
Mother:
ELIZABETH

RICHARD POOLTON
Male

Event(s):
Birth:
Christening:
Death:
Burial:

Marriages:

Spouse:
MARY SCATTERGOOD
Marriage:
01 AUG 1796
Aston Juxta Birmingham, Warwick, England

Last edited by a moderator:
Many thanks for all your hard work, Harborne. I've made a note of all those Pooltons and will investigate further.
I'll also have another look at the IGI site - been a while since I've been on that (too busy reading all the threads on here!!!) Must get some work done - or shall I go on reading.............yeah, you're absolutely right, no contest!
Charlie

Edgbaston Churches

Harborne,

I think the Richard Poolton marriage (1824 to Elizabeth Heade) was my Greatx3 Grandfather. I only have "Edgbaston" as the church where they were married though. Any idea how far Edgbaston would have stretched in the early 1800's? Would it include St. Philips do you think?
His son Thomas was married at The Old Meeting House (Unitarian) in Phillip Street in 1847 - before they razed it for New Street Station - would that come under Edgbaston? The thought of going to Birmingham Library and trawling through all the Edgbaston churches gives me the heebies. I have to eat sometime!!!:D

To be quite honest Charlie, I don't really know how far Edgbaston stretched in those days. I suppose it could have included St Philip's; but don't forget people moved around a lot too, the same as they do now. Maybe some other kind soul on the forum could help you with regard to boundaries, etc. Sorry I couldn't help you there Charlie.

Best wishes.

Hi Charlie, there is one church in Egbaston early enough for Richard Poolton's marriage, St Bartholomews. There were lots of other churches but all built after 1824.

Just come back from B'ham Central Library (a quick trip, and I'm still exhausted!) and found Richard Poolton's marriage to Elizabeth Heads - it WAS at St. Bartholemews, so thank you for the information.
Doesn't help much though, I think they wanted to save on ink in those days and it doesn't give an address, parents names, occupations or anything. So I'm stuck now :| . Oh well, another new challenege.
Thanks to everyone though.

Would anyone be able to help with these two marriages at St.Martins. John Wilmott 13 June 1803 to Ann Lilly. George Willmott 26 October 1815 to Ann Lilly. Would like to know who the witnesses were and any other information that may be available. Thankyou. Moya

St Martins.

Hello Moya,
as I am going into B'ham library on saturday I will try and do
this lookup for you.
Regards,
Margaret.

St.Martins

Thankyou Margaret. I am very curious that the brides should have the same names, 12 years apart. Moya

Hello Moya, I have just had a look at St Martins registers for the info;
John Wilmott m Ann Lilly 13th June 1803 she is recorded as spinster he batchelor. Witnesses Richard Lilly and Elizabeth Horton or Martin its very difficult to read but looks more like Horton. Unfortunately fathers names were never listed this early. I had a look at the other record and sorry to say its just a list of the married couples names under the date. Hope this helps a bit Wendy.

Last edited by a moderator:
St.Martins Registers

Thankyou Moma, I'm still lost as to which of the Ann's belongs to me, I'll just keep on digging! Regards Moya

Back