• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

St Martins Birmingham Look Ups

I thought it was Hugh S.Clark. Unfortunately i only have Kellys for 1921 and 1932. Curate was Mayall for 1921 & Hodges for 1932 . the library should have kellys for 1928-29 (to allow for publishing date) if you can find them open.

hi mike i also think it says curate hugh s clark..thats another thing on my list when i eventually get to the library...

thanks everyone..

lyn

hi dek i had thought of that one as well..it would also have been on the doorstep...

thanks dek

lyn

Lyn
That is only my personnal opinion, but can't see it being anything else . As to St Johns. this was a bordesley parish church, so i would think it would say parish of bordesley to ensure church was identified. The 1921 and 1932 Kellys lists it as having no curate, and i understand that by then it was combined with St Basils, and had only occasional use. That would not have menat a wedding could not be held there though, so it is possible. St Basils had no curate listed in 1921, and by 1932 it had no vicar,but only a perpetual curate , a Rev.Witcomb.

thanks for that info mike...i think i am leaning towards st martins..(maybe cos i want it to be that church lol ) im just going to check what kellys i have mike as im not sure but i may have a couple of years you havnt got that was sent to me ages ago...will get back asap...

This is what Wikipedia says about St Martins

Jump to: navigation, search
The church of St Martin in the Bull Ring (grid reference SP073866) in Birmingham 5, England is a parish church in the Church of England.

It is the original parish church of Birmingham. It stands between the Bull Ring shopping centre and the markets
[h=2][edit] Background[/h]

External pulpit

A view of the church from the Bull Ring Open Market

It is the origi

A view of the church from the Bullring Shopping Centre.

x.

Hi, I see that you obtained the marriage cert from B'ham Register Office...can I suggest that you get in touch with them & ask for their advise, they have a brilliant chap there who is a very helpful on such matters... (John ???)

Happy Hunting !

Margaret.

thank you mararet i do have to go and order another cert soon so i will ask about this marriage when i go..

lyn.

I think the the certificate saying The Parish Church in the Parish of Birmingham tells you that it can only be St Martins. There is only one parish church in a parish and St Martins is Birmingham Parish Church

Hi Lyn

Don't know if you have the answer to this one yet but thought I would let you know the following.

A Baptism at St Martin's on the 11 July 1928 (I looked for the nearest date to your Grandparent's wedding) was performed by H S Clarke (Curate).

Suzanne

Hi Lyn

Don't know if you have the answer to this one yet but thought I would let you know the following.

A Baptism at St Martin's on the 11 July 1928 (I looked for the nearest date to your Grandparent's wedding) was performed by H S Clarke (Curate).

Suzanne

oh suzanne thank you so much...if you go to post 4 i posted my grand parents marriage cert and the curate was indeed a hugh s clarke...which confirms that they were married at st martins church...im chuffed to bits...the church will have an extra special meaning to me now...

thank you

lyn x

Last edited:
Hi Lyn

Glad to have helped. I just thought if H S Clarke was marrying people he most probably would be doing christenings too:)

Suzanne

brilliant deduction suzanne...this is the first family marriage i have found at st martins...

thanks again...

lyn

to be honest suzanne i only know where our mom and dad married and now of course dads mom and dad..i shall have to try and find out where other members were married soon as i think churches are like pubs...we are lucky to see them still standing...

lyn

I`m hoping someone might have access to the parish records for St Martins Birmingham. I`m interested in the baptism of Mary Ann Elizabeth Hallam. According to Familysearch she was born 25/7/1836 and baptised at St Martins 9/8/1837. Her parents were Joseph Hallam and Sarah Barlow. I`m hoping the record might tell me what Joseph`s occupation was - on some records he is a paper maker and on others either a chair or chain maker

Many thanks Jane

Back