• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

St Martins Birmingham Look Ups

Re: marriage at St Martins

these are the details at st.martins bham

john blackham of this parish bachelor and nancy tonks of this parish spinster married in this church by banns this 6th oct 1788

witnessed by william falkiner?? and isaac tonks

Re: marriage at St Martins

Hi Shera, Thank you so much - was hoping there maybe a clue to the father of John Blackham m Maria Trussel - they are the right age group - oh well plod on with it.
Sheri

Trying to trace my Gt, Gt, Gt Grandfather his name on his sons marriage certificate was Lear Swaine, I can find no trace of him. Is Lear a proper name or nickname ?

All we know is that he was a Brickmaker and was probably born abot 1797, his son Henry Married in 1838 to Susanna Young from Somerset.

Any help would be marvelous.

cant find lear swaine but i may have found his son and wife in 1841 living high street deritend bham

henry swain 20 iron caster journeyman b. in county
sushannah swain 20 not born in county
henry swain 10 mths b. in county

i believe it will be the correct person because in 1851 living high st. bordesley

henry swain 32 coffin nail caster b.bham
susannah 33 wood screw wormer b. summersettshire
julia 8 b. aston bham
josh 5 b. aston
henry 1 b. aston

in st. martins burial records

henry swain son of henry and susannah swain buried 15 march 1843

aged 2 yrs. abode palmer street

one more listed at st. martins

john son of henry and susan swain

buried 7 dec 1845 aged 7 mths abode. palmer street

This is fantastic news and the information is brilliant, thankyou.
Yes you are correct with the Names, Addresses and Dates, but what is new is the burials, that is something I did not know. I am trying to identify Swain burials and relationships at Yardley Cemetery, one I have is William Swain intered in 1919 ther a number of Swains buried there.
One further question is has Lears son Henry, have any brothers or sisters ?

I'm looking for information about John Taylor (a nice easy name!!!) - in census 1841 he 's living at 16 Cheapside with wife Sophia and sons William b.?1828 and Charles b. 1831 - William is my gt.gt.g.father -
If it is possible to fi nd John's baptism and marriage which possi bly was at St. Martins - in 1841 John was between 40 and 49 and Sophia was about 40.
If I could find John's father it would help so much as I would know if I was with the right family and not wasting my time.
With thanks for all your help,
Sheri

hi sheri, as you probably guessed there are hundreds of taylors so not really possible to find yours. i did notice there is a marriage on igi for john taylor and sophia lowe on 14 jun 1825 at st. marys church, handsworth, staffs. handsworth is in birmingham but was classed as staffordshire in the past.

also found on igi two christenings at st. phillips church bham

samuel taylor b. 12 dec 1826 chr. 16 apr 1827
william taylor b. 29 dec 1828 chr. 20 apr 1829

sorry i couldnt help

Hi Shera, Thank you so much for your reply - I can't tell you how many times I' ve been o n IGI looking for John Taylor - I hope he's the right one - I don't know ab out Sam uel will follow it up. The trouble with all my families there are soooooo many John's - they didn't thi nk about their descendants looking for them did they!!!!!
And you have been a big help a nd I am grateful,
Sheri

Could someone help me with information with the Fathers' occupation and address re the Christening of WILLIAM DYSON dated 2 March 1837. The Fathers' name is George

Thanks and regards

Steve

Add: Glover Street.
Occ: Grinder

3 Children of George & Mary Christened together 2nd March 1837

Daug -Ann b 16th July 1828

Daug - Elizabeth b 13 Oct 1834

Son - Wiliam b 6 May 1837

Bo

William Dyson born 6th May 1832 baptised 2 March 1837
parents George and Mary
George Dyson married Mary Bennett 26th December 1825,St. Martins

1851 Glover street.
George dyson age 48 Grinder
Mary age 46
William age 18 Grinder
Ann age 20
Eliza age 16
all born birmingham

Last edited:
Am searching for a baptism of a Henry Gilbert son of George Gilbert & his wife Catherine nee
McQuire, he was born either November 1884 or 1885. Father was a Brass Caster by trade and his parents were married in St. Martins. Can anyone please look in St. Martin's records to see if his baptism can be located. Thanking you. Jenny Biddle

Thanks so much Shera for looking for me, he must have been baptized in another church. I appreciate your efforts. Cheers Jenny from Australia

St. Peters & St. Paul Aston

Hi Shera, Would it be possible for you to have a look for Henry Gilbert 1884/1885
baptism also his siblings, Kate E, George, John, Annie Louisa (1871), Joseph, Mary Ann, Emily, Henry. Father George Gilbert brass caster & wife Catherine nee McQuire. Cheers Jenny from Australia:)

A b it of a long shot - William married Sarah Hancock on the 8th August 1791 - any information would be helpful - also any baptisms with William and Sarah named.
Many thanks,
Sheri

william haywood of this parish bachelor and sarah hancocks of this parish spinster married 8th aug 1791 at st. martins

witnesses were jane haywood and (looks like) mr davis

Hi all,

I have Eliza Smith who married John Winkles at St Martin's Church could anyone see if there is any other information available about who her parents were and witnesses.

Thank you for taking the time to read this kind regards Paula:)

hello paula, here are the details. there wasnt much at that time but as tesco says - every little helps!

john winkles of this parish bachelor and eliza smith of this parish spinster married by banns 2nd july 1821 at st. martins

they both signed their names. witnesses were john and mary wigley

all the best, shera

i dont know if you have seen this paula, but on ancestry there are several family trees for your family.

they seem to have aaron smith b. 1775 b. bham and jane chambers b. 1771 b. b.ham as the parents of eliza smith. some have 1 or 2 further generations backwards. i cant tell you if these are correct though.

there is a christening of "elizabeth" smith on 30 sep 1800 at st. martins with parents aaron and jane smith.

also a marriage of aaron smith to jane chambers at st. phillips, bham on 21st march 1796

Last edited:
Hi Shera,

Thanks for the look up, I have not seen the tree on ancestry with Eliza's parents, I tend to want to find out and prove myself as I know some one took some details off my tree and they are following the wrong parent, I like to get the cert's etc to prove who they are.
I will follow up on the parent's though and check. Thanks for the marriage look-up I was hoping it would have the parent's but with the year I know it can be hit and miss.
I have a lot on the Winkles side as another researcher got in touch and he related to that side but then I am with the Clayton's where the Winkles married into the Clayton's so we managed to swap information and help each other out.

Anyway hope you are well and thanks again Paula

hi friends
is it possible that some one could a check on the st martins reg for a weding at that church betwennthetwo peoplei have mentioned
it took place i beleive in the 1925 30
if this is possible i really appreciateit and thank every one for there valuable time on this best wishes astonion

hi astonian, sorry but the st. martins records i have only go up to 1898 for the hintons, so not able to help. all the best, shera

Back