• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

St Martins Birmingham Look Ups

A b it of a long shot - William married Sarah Hancock on the 8th August 1791 - any information would be helpful - also any baptisms with William and Sarah named.
Many thanks,
Sheri

william haywood of this parish bachelor and sarah hancocks of this parish spinster married 8th aug 1791 at st. martins

witnesses were jane haywood and (looks like) mr davis

Hi all,

I have Eliza Smith who married John Winkles at St Martin's Church could anyone see if there is any other information available about who her parents were and witnesses.

Thank you for taking the time to read this kind regards Paula:)

hello paula, here are the details. there wasnt much at that time but as tesco says - every little helps!

john winkles of this parish bachelor and eliza smith of this parish spinster married by banns 2nd july 1821 at st. martins

they both signed their names. witnesses were john and mary wigley

all the best, shera

i dont know if you have seen this paula, but on ancestry there are several family trees for your family.

they seem to have aaron smith b. 1775 b. bham and jane chambers b. 1771 b. b.ham as the parents of eliza smith. some have 1 or 2 further generations backwards. i cant tell you if these are correct though.

there is a christening of "elizabeth" smith on 30 sep 1800 at st. martins with parents aaron and jane smith.

also a marriage of aaron smith to jane chambers at st. phillips, bham on 21st march 1796

Last edited:
Hi Shera,

Thanks for the look up, I have not seen the tree on ancestry with Eliza's parents, I tend to want to find out and prove myself as I know some one took some details off my tree and they are following the wrong parent, I like to get the cert's etc to prove who they are.
I will follow up on the parent's though and check. Thanks for the marriage look-up I was hoping it would have the parent's but with the year I know it can be hit and miss.
I have a lot on the Winkles side as another researcher got in touch and he related to that side but then I am with the Clayton's where the Winkles married into the Clayton's so we managed to swap information and help each other out.

Anyway hope you are well and thanks again Paula

hi friends
is it possible that some one could a check on the st martins reg for a weding at that church betwennthetwo peoplei have mentioned
it took place i beleive in the 1925 30
if this is possible i really appreciateit and thank every one for there valuable time on this best wishes astonion

hi astonian, sorry but the st. martins records i have only go up to 1898 for the hintons, so not able to help. all the best, shera

hi shera
many thanks for your look up i do beleive they was marrid in st martins around the 1939 to be a fact
and she had a brother named phillip hinton whom in 1955 lived in number 3 back of 132 ickneild square beleved to be a beatrice hinton
so i presume she was either a sister or wife and my mothers name inmcluded the beatrice name along with her or christian names so i wonder whether or not there is a connection and adding the berthavictoria saga to the wedding of her and ernest jelf could conclude any think
is it possible you may be get to access on that or may be some one out there is related to the phillip hinton today whom may be able to throw some light on it as to his the mother
sheramany thanks again for your valuable time best wishes astonion ps , this phillip hinton was born in 1909 and could be the half brother to my mother
joyce ivy beatrice jelf the one and only child to bertha victoria and ernest jelf thanks astonion

Hi Paula
You appear to be my distant cousin!
Ann Winkles born 1823, to John Winkles and Eliza, is my ancestor. She married Hubert Cornelius Jessop, a muffin and pikelet maker.
I'm from Handsworth and still have family there.
Best wishes
Lu

hi guys ;
ihope you do not mind me asking but does any of your winkles are elated to the winkles family that lived oppersite the deers leap up in king standing s i have a good old friend going back years by the name of johny winkles and his mother was a nurse at st margretts hosptital
in great barr ; best wishes astonian alan

wonder if anyone can help with this please...on my grandparents marriage cert of 1928 it says they were married at the parish church in the parish..does anyone have an idea as to what church this would have been and where?? they were living at digbeth at the time...my first thought was st martins but wouldnt it have said st martins on the cert...i can scan and post the cert if it would help

many thanks for any ideas...

lyn

Lyn, I would have guessed at St Martins too. Can you read the name of the vicar/Clergy? If so it might be worth googling the names and hope something shows up.
I have just found on one site that 1924-1948 Cannon Guy Rogers was at St Martins - although I would have thought more than one person performed marriages.

thanks polly thats a good idea...and thanks wend here is the cert...looks like it say barns to me...i am hopeless with churches lol

lyn

img868.jpg

Oh sorry Lyn the marriages only go up to 1903, its the Baptisms that go up to 1929. I hope someone has the answer for you..x

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for looking wend..i would love to find a family member who married at st martins...will keep you informed...

lyn

Back