• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

St Martin's Baptism lookup please: BROUGH

skylark

Proud to be a Brummie !!
I have asked for help with this Brough baptism before but it did not appear to be there, but I am now more sure than ever that this girl.. MARY BROUGH c 1811..is related to my BROUGH tree. She is MARY on her marriage cert in 1831 & on all the census's after her marriage, she was born in B'ham. So...I was wondering if perhaps she was not baptised as MARY but some other name....so my request is for any BROUGH female baptised 1809-1813...Any help will be much appreciated. Her Parents were WILLIAM & ANN BROUGH. Thanks again.

Margaret.

in 1809 there is the baptism of richard son on william and ann brough on 6th oct 1809.

and on 6th june 1811 baptism of ann daughter of william and ann brough.

on 4 dec 1814 there is a burial of richard son of william and ann brough, thorp street aged 5 yrs.

the baptisms for brough go up to 1811 then there is a gap until 1820, so maybe some pages are missing. there is no other info on the baptisms above.

Last edited:
Thank you Shera, you have helped me in the past with my mysterious Mary Brough. The 1811 Ann Brough is my GtGtG/M & she lived in Thorp Street for most of her 80 odd years...so you finding that her family were also in Thorp Street in 1814 is great info for me. I wonder if you would mind looking to see if William Brough died between 1811 & 1814 ???? I do appreciate your help.

Margaret.

hi margaret, thats great news about thorp street. sorry, there are hardly any burials recorded. there is the one in 1814 that i posted, then it goes to 1821, 1823 etc.

Thank you for looking...you deserve a STAR for the great early link to Thorp Street.....!!!!

Best regards & thanks again,
Margaret.

ahhhhh! ive found your mary, it was transcribed as brugh

baptised at st. martins on 7th oct 1808. mary daughter of william and ann brough. no other info im afraid

That is brilliant news !!!! Thank you SO MUCH..I have long believed that the Mary Brough I have been researching was indeed a member of my Brough family & with your invaluable help I can now include Mary & her family on my tree. I cannot express how very much I appreciate the time & trouble you have taken with this search.

Margaret.

i checked the later burials at st. martins and these two were there

burial of ann wife of william brough on 19 oct 1834. thorp st. aged 67 yrs
burial of william brough on 7 jan 1847 thorp st. aged 75yrs

do you have the marriage of william and ann brough? also there is a william and sarah brough about at the same time and some of the time they are living thorp street.

Hello Shera, I do have the info from the 1793 marriage of Ann & William. The Sarah & William Brough in Thorp St may be the son & daughter in law of William & Ann. I cannot tell you how excited I am about the 2 burials that you have found....the one for Ann sounds correct, but it is the 75 year old William in 1847 that is such a brilliant find. There is a William Brough death in the March Qtr 1847 .... no age given of course so I have never bothered to apply for this cert but now that I armed with your brilliant info I will be sending for it tomorrow ! THANK YOU SO MUCH.

Margaret.

Hello Shera, I just wanted to tell you that I have followed up on the info you gave me about the 1847 burial of William Brough aged 75, & have now got his death cert & it is indeed MY William Brough, who was a tailor by trade. The informant was his granddaughter Mary Farmer so it has all tied in very nicely...so once again I can only thank you very much for all your help, it has been appreciated. By the way the 1808 birth for Mary Brugh is looking very good, this was a girl who married a chap younger than herself so tended to say on the census that she was born in 1811/12. But on the 1891 when she was a widow she finally told the truth that she was born in 1808 & was aged 83.... you have helped me to finally add her to my tree with your brilliant search for her baptism.

THANK YOU,
Margaret.

thanks margaret, thats very kind of you to let us know the outcome. im so pleased you didnt waste your money on the certificate. all the best with the rest of your research, shera

Well done Shera what a great result! Congratulations Margaret it's a great feeling isn't it!

Message for Shera ..... hello Shera, I was in B'ham library today & thought I would get a printout for the baptisms of Mary Brough in 1808 (okay) but I had great difficulty finding the baptism for Ann Brough o6/06/1811..it was just not there on the film ( plenty of others on that date but no sign of Ann at all) So can I ask for the page number on the register then perhaps I can have another look for her when next I am in the library...many thanks.

Margaret.

hello again margaret, well it certainly is there! there isnt any page number, but the best way i can describe it is if you look at the start of 7th june 1811 then go back 4 places - there she is.

if you find you cannot see her, let me know and i will sort something else out, maybe they have a page missing??

Thank you Shera..I will try that next time... I did find having burials & baptisms on the same page made searching difficult for me (old eyes !!) so perhaps I did not go further back enough to find Ann.

Thank you for your help... appreciated as always.
Margaret.

Dear Shera and Margaret
I just wanted to add my thanks for all the info in this thread. I am a direct descendant of Mary Brough and Henry Moulson and briefly exchanged messages on this site 2 years ago before Marys parents had been identified. I then went off and got stuck into a line of my wifes involving Malta, France and Italy, thinking that Mary was an impenetrable brick wall. I have only just got back to Mary to find the wall demolished. I am very grateful for all the info in this thread and hope I can contribute something in the future. Andy

Hello Andy... welcome back to the site...& how nice that Shera has helped you as well as me with helping to find Mary at long last. My Gtgtgrandparents were the witnesses at the wedding of Mary & Henry Moulson, which always made me think that Mary had to be related to my branch of the Broughs ( of which there are many !!!) If you ever want any info on this branch feel free to ask away..I am more than happy to help...

Margaret.

hi andy, lovely to hear someone else has also benefited from the information. i had forgotten all about this thread but i am so pleased that i have the st martins records and was able to help. all the best, shera

Back